bought a puppy and it sadly died - read on...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i bought a puppy and when we got her home she was lethargic and constipated. we took her to the vets the next day, and were given medicine. she seemed to perk up, but the vets voiced concerns that she was not as perky as a puppy should be. the time scale goes like this -

thursday - brought home puppy

friday - at vets

following monday - dog has first puppy jab, vets still concerned at her lethargy

saturday night - emergency vet called as dog is sick (vomiting), gave her an antibiotic injection, could not work out what was wrong.

monday - dog no better, admitted into surgery.

tuesday morning - barium meal,

x-rays, still no diagnosis, 4pm vets call to say that if they dont operate then she is going to die as she is going downhill and the barium travelled no further than her stomach from 9am.

operate at 4.30, call later to tell me the following -

the dogs stomach was full of big worms. they had eaten into her intestines. they are so inflamed and damaged that they had to remove a 20cm section, which is a lot for a 9week old lhasa apso. they cant believe what is inside her but hope that they can stimulate her gut to work again. as she survived the 2.5 hour op we are all hopeful and the vets are confident.

10pm tuesday, poppy died. her intestines were so damaged that she had no hope.

the vet said in her 11 years she has never seen anything so awful and never had a dog die from worms. as we only had her for 12 days from purchase to death, and i now owe £500+ at the vets, i called the seller and asked for te money i paid back to go towards the vets fees.poppy was adored by us and the vets and i made sure with them that in no terms could it have been anything that she picked up in the 12 days with me. they state that either the seller neve5r wormed her or if they did it was with an innefective supermarket product. but they say it is more likely she just wasnt. which is disgusting, but also means that she was doomed before i even got her. i also suspect they knew she wasnt well because the woman couldnt get my money off me quik enough and clained she had a "belly button" when really it ws a hernia that wasnt as pronounced because she obviously hadnt eaten.

the seller is being completley difficult and claimed that she was fine when they had her so obviously its my fault she died, and now, after i gave my vet permission to disclose, they claim they wont deal with me because they wormed her but conviniently cant "remember" what with. funny that as its only three weeks ago, and they are currently selling other puppies...

i have offered the deal of giving me back £300 as that is what i paid. but as they are being so awful, what are my chances in the small claims court? i will go after the money i paid and all vet fees to date. i am sick of this person, its heartbreaking to lose a pet without someone trying to pass the blame. do you think it will stand up in court? my vets have offered to write reports and pass on records.

sorry its long,

eve

Hi there is a dedicated place for this

hi the number you want is 01544 370213 the lady is called ann harpwood,,

It is called justice for dogs and they deal with all types of things like this,

were you givern a contract as I breed dogs and I always give a contract that tates certain things like this.

Kev

How very sad :(

Was the pup KC registered? Did you have puppy insurance?

I would think about reporting this person to trading standards, the KC adn the breed council. Was it a breeder or someone just breeding from their pet?

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

Sorry to hear that Eve - was it an 'official' breeder? Did you receive KC registration forms and the rest? Any reputable breeder will usually guarantee their pups for at least a month after purchase (from problems like hip dysplacia to other inherited ailments). In addition to your purchase price, you'll also have had vets bills, so I don't see a defence arising in such a short space of time from acceptance until its tragic death.

Under the circumstances, I would not accept any replacement animal from this breeder. Incidentally, was the breeder recommended, or did you see and advert?

they were selling from a pet, not a breeder unfortunatly. it was only when we got home and realised that she was lethargic and constipated we realised there may be something wrong with her. we have always had rescue dogs and this was the first time id bought a dog and as it was a family pet i assumed the best but got the worst. it has been devestating. last night i spoke to the woman i got her off of on the phone and she claimed my vet told her it was my fault and i was told to worm her - which is a complete lie, so i said i was going to take her to court and she screamed down the phone at me. im seeing poppys vet tomorrow to find out about having a report drawn up. so far 12 days of a puppy has cost me over £1000. im not happy, as i loved that little thing and now she has been reduced to a number in cash.

thanks for the advice.

I have had Old English Sheepdogs, the first from a breeder and the second as a year old (he's now 14) both were fine.. I'd be distraught if any animal suffered in that way, but from memory puppies are not wormed until 6-10 weeks, so how it could possibly have been your fault eludes me. Do also remember any court action will only be successful if the seller has money (or assets) to make the repayment possible. If there is none, you could just be throwing good money after bad.

Hi there

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. It must be absolutely awful for you right now and I can understand how bad you feel about your poor puppy being reduced to a number in cash.

When puppies are born they develop worms from their mother through suckling. Worming puppies as they grow is part of rearing puppies - as your vet will tell you!

It seem to me that you bought this puppy from a puppy farmer as they are still selling puppies. Puppies bought from these people often end up in the same plight as your Poppy did.

These people have to be made to pay for what they have done - for poor Poppy's sake and for the sake of any other puppies they might sell to unsuspecting animal lovers.

Get your report from the vet and sue them for ALL the money you have lost. I would also report them to the local RSPCA or SSPCA and trading standards.

I bet your little girl didnt come with KC registration. I bet she came with DLRC registration (Dog Lovers Registration Certificate). This is what puppy farmers are using to try and pass these animals off as pedigree dogs and thus being able to charge the going price for that particular breed.

Please take this all the way. I am also a little bit surprised that your vet decided to vaccinate this puppy when she was poorly. I suffered similar problems when I got my puppy last year ie she was ill within 24 hours. Luckily she pulled through and she is now a strapping 1 year old hooligan. I didnt get her vaccinated until she was 12 weeks old. Also, reputable breeders will almost always have the puppy's first vac done and have them microchipped.

Please dont blame yourself for this; it happens so often to unsuspecting people and I think the Kennel Club should be doing more to highlight puppy farms and what to look out for when you are buying a puppy.

People seem to think that it is OK to buy from people like this if it is going to be a family pet but that is not the case. So long as people buy these pups, there will be people out there willing to exploit them and dogs. I wont go into the conditions or the treatment that the mothers live in or get - suffice to say that its not at all nice.

These are the reasons that I say take them all the way. If life starts to get difficult for them and they are exposed for what they are, they may decided that breeding dogs is not as easy money as they thought.

My heart goes out to you. I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Gemspan

i bought a puppy and when we got her home she was lethargic and constipated. we took her to the vets the next day, and were given medicine. she seemed to perk up, but the vets voiced concerns that she was not as perky as a puppy should be. the time scale goes like this -

thursday - brought home puppy

friday - at vets

following monday - dog has first puppy jab, vets still concerned at her lethargy

saturday night - emergency vet called as dog is sick (vomiting), gave her an antibiotic injection, could not work out what was wrong.

monday - dog no better, admitted into surgery.

tuesday morning - barium meal,

x-rays, still no diagnosis, 4pm vets call to say that if they dont operate then she is going to die as she is going downhill and the barium travelled no further than her stomach from 9am.

operate at 4.30, call later to tell me the following -

the dogs stomach was full of big worms. they had eaten into her intestines. they are so inflamed and damaged that they had to remove a 20cm section, which is a lot for a 9week old lhasa apso. they cant believe what is inside her but hope that they can stimulate her gut to work again. as she survived the 2.5 hour op we are all hopeful and the vets are confident.

10pm tuesday, poppy died. her intestines were so damaged that she had no hope.

the vet said in her 11 years she has never seen anything so awful and never had a dog die from worms. as we only had her for 12 days from purchase to death, and i now owe £500+ at the vets, i called the seller and asked for te money i paid back to go towards the vets fees.poppy was adored by us and the vets and i made sure with them that in no terms could it have been anything that she picked up in the 12 days with me. they state that either the seller neve5r wormed her or if they did it was with an innefective supermarket product. but they say it is more likely she just wasnt. which is disgusting, but also means that she was doomed before i even got her. i also suspect they knew she wasnt well because the woman couldnt get my money off me quik enough and clained she had a "belly button" when really it ws a hernia that wasnt as pronounced because she obviously hadnt eaten.

the seller is being completley difficult and claimed that she was fine when they had her so obviously its my fault she died, and now, after i gave my vet permission to disclose, they claim they wont deal with me because they wormed her but conviniently cant "remember" what with. funny that as its only three weeks ago, and they are currently selling other puppies...

i have offered the deal of giving me back £300 as that is what i paid. but as they are being so awful, what are my chances in the small claims court? i will go after the money i paid and all vet fees to date. i am sick of this person, its heartbreaking to lose a pet without someone trying to pass the blame. do you think it will stand up in court? my vets have offered to write reports and pass on records.

sorry its long,

eve

I was so sad to read about this. I suspect the RSPCA would be able to bring a case against them and this would be one angle. You may well be able to get all your costs back and do this through the small claims track.

These people need to be closed down.