Forced Closed Account

pearsoncdw

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5152 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had just had a conversation with my brother who has a been told by Natwest that they are closing his bank account with consulting him about the closure.

He was told that they were closing the account and that they wouldn't tell him why only that they said there was fraud. They said that thet were not legally obiliged to tell him why they were closing it.

According to my brother there has been no fraud on the account and there is money there on the account for him to use. There is

He has only been given a few days to find a new account bearing in mind in can take a lot longer with other banks to open an account. I believe that this does not give much time for my brother to open an account eleswhere.

I know he is not very credit worthy (ie can be a bit free with is money but does make sure that all bills are paid for on time)

Are Natwest entitled to do what they did and does my brother have a leg to stand on?

Can he complain to the FSA about this also?

Many thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

This sounds ludicrous to be perfectly honest with you. If he knows without a shadow of a doubt that there has been absolutely no fraud on the account whatsoever and he's had no notification of the account closure, he really does need to complain to the FOS. They can investigate the account closure and, if proven that there are no grounds for closure, compensate your brother for his inconvenience.

That doesn't solve his immediate problem though. I'm not the most credit-worthy person myself (thanks to Nat West and their ridiculous default on my credit card) but I managed to get a new account with the Nationwide. It's a flex account with a cash-card - but you can also set up DD's and SO's on the account as well, so it's better than a basic bank account.

If I was your brother, I'd also be inclined to write to Nat West asking them to clarify their position - and c.c. the ombudsman into the letter (attach a copy of it to his complaint to them).

Best of luck, I hope this works out for him. :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

hi colin,

nat west did exactly that to me and my brother, no notification at all , closed our private accounts and business account.

it was only luck that i found out through internet banking and then a phone call.

reason was didnt operate the accounts properly.

had revenge though, won against them in court and settled twice sice.

tell your brother to complain and challenge them.

• Haha 1