Claiming bank charges for a mortgage

kfn1502
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am helping a single mum sort out her finances post-divorce (messy one). Ex-husband defaulted on mortgage payments for months so the mortgage is way in arrears. Each defaulted payment led to a £35 letter being sent. She has - finally - got things sorted out and there should be no more defaults (as long as ex-hubby pays his portion of the mortgage).

I'm happy to help this lady to make a claim against Halifax for the charges, but I'm concerned that they might then ask her to repay the mortgage in full. She has absolutely no way of getting a mortgage from any other company (we've tried, very hard, to do this).

Is it worth making a claim? There must be over £500 in charges over the past two years.

Take a look at the post on this Halifax forum by colour-me-happy.

They are asking near enough the same thing and the response looks positive.

Hope that helps and keep us posted if you do decide to go ahead.

Please note that I am not a legal expert and all advice given is without prejudice and is purely my opinion only.

** Nationwide - £1821.15-PAID IN FULL - Aug 06 **

** Halifax Mortgage -£390 - PAID IN FULL - Nov 06 **

Lloyds TSB - MCOL issued 09/03/07 - £2953 + costs - ON HOLD....

I did read the post from colour me happy. However there was a comment in that post that said the bank can't cancel your mortgage out of spite unless you default (or other negative financial things). In this case there is a history of default (dating back about two years) where the mortgage was not paid at all for several months, then payments for several more months was only what DSS was contributing. It is getting back on track now, and hopefully there will be no more default.

Unless I hear anything else on this forum, I'll help her write a letter to Halifax and we'll see how we go.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks