HSBC Telephone Harrassment

lauranick

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My HSBC account is dormant as it is in dispute over bank charges. It is overdrawn over its limit. Ever since I stopped having my wages paid into it I have been receiving calls from 08007838422. I answered once but found it distressing so decided to conduct all correspondence in writing. Sent an email to HSBC using the text from the template phone harassment letter on this site and had quick response saying that they would mark my file saying I only wanted to be contacted in writing, but that they were only contacting me to get my propositions for repaying the balance of my account. I messaged back quoting the letter I had already sent them with my propositions for monthly repayments. Have heard nothing back. However, if anything, since then the calls to my mobile have become more frequent - sometimes up to 12 a day. How can I stop these calls?

We are now reviewing and recommending the Truecall call recorder. See:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telephone-recorders-reviews-write/167120-truecall-digital-telephone-recorder.html

This machine is a bit pricey but does everything and more.

However, there are other cheaper options available. The most important thing is to get some kind of call recorder and start gathering your evidence

Edited by BankFodder

Hi, Lauranick,

The most important thing at this stage is to make a note of the exact date and time of each phone call, and the number which rang. I'd send this information to the bank giving them a final chance to stop phoning you before you report them for harassment. Seeing as they've already lied about phoning you - and you have proof - you are in a strong position.

As for the overdrawn balance, have you actually put in a claim for the refund of charges yet? As there is a OFT Test Case against the Banks pending it is likely that if you put in a claim at a court it will be stayed until the resolution of the OFT case. Therefore they cannot expect to receive any money from you because you have to wait for High Court to make a ruling, which will probably be next year.

I'd tell them that you will not be making any payments to the account until your claim for charges has been resolved. As the account is officially 'in dispute' they cannot legally sell the debt on or default you as they will be breaking their own Banking Code.

Thanks so much for your help. Yes I put my claim in - went all the way down to the wire - had a court date for yesterday but it got stayed last minute. I shall write a letter sying I won't be paying anything off it until the bank charges case is resolved.

As for the phone calls, I know this may sound like a stupid question but does it definitely still count as harassment even though I'm not answering them - in fact I'm just hitting ignore as soon as it starts ringing. I feel really cowardly, but I just don't feel strong enough to speak to them. Thanks again.

I have had the same problem. I asked HSBC to stop phoning many times verbally, and twice in writing. I received a letter from HSBC confirming that my number had been removed from their systems, but still the calls continued at up to 5 a day.

Borrowing from HSBC's Big Book Of Disproportionate Charges For Doing Nothing, I told them that I would treat any further call, answered or not, as an 'informal request for consultation', and would charge £100 a time.

I have now made another formal complaint, and am waiting with interest for their explanation as to how their system is able to call a number it doesn't have. If, as I suspect, their answer is unsatisfactory, I will escalate it to FOS (not, sadly, Flag Officer Submarines, but you can't have everything).

They signed for the letter over a week ago, and the calls have stopped.

• Haha 1

Excellent idea Scarlet...I can charge my bank £100 each time they call me....brilliant...!!

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

Further to all the forums regarding calls from HSBC's call centre in India coming through as 0800 7838422 they now have a new trick as we all quite rightly in some cases ignore there calls and they know it!

They will now call for a fraction of a second from 0151 934 8000 and then immediately from 0800 7838422 in the vain attempt that you might be a bit slow to realise.

The 0151 934 8000 number I cannot trace!

I am also concerned that these harrassment calls are sometimes coming before 9am in the morning. Doesn't the Banking Code have guidelines about acceptable contact being from 9am to 9pm? If so, isn't this a breach?

Merry Christmas!

• 1 month later...

I'm also being harrassed by HSBC from their 0800 India number. They are calling me almost once an hour, 7 days a week. I have has problems with this number in the past so never bother answering as I know the awful procedure they go through on the phone and it gets you nowehere. I have now set up a call management facility on my phone so this number goes straight to voicemail and am in the process of trying to barr this number from calling my mobile phone with my network provider. Failing this I am going to change my number as cannot be doing with all these calls constantly coming through.

I have only just stopped using my HSBC bank account as disagreed with all their charges and am now only overdrawn on the account due to their ridiculous charging system. I have complained and asked for over £1,000 of charges to be refunded but as with everyone else this is pending the court case.

I refuse to even think about answering those 0800 calls as the people you speak to claim to be advisors but have neevr once offered me any useful advice they just demand payments and start lecturing you. As soon as you give them a difficult answer that is obviously not on the script in front of them they haven't got a clue what to say and just keep repeating that they need a payment to be made.

My plan is to go into branch and request an appointment with a member of branch staff to discuss how I plan to pay in an amount each month until the £300 overdraft is paid off. I think if the 0800 calls continue after that I shall answer each and every one and blow a whistle down the phone for as long as I can until they stop!!

I am in the same situation....but am logging all the calls they have made, I have written complaining that they have broken the OFT's rules, the fact that my accounts are in dispute, the fact that they have not answered my questions, and I have asked them how they plan to compensate me for the harrassment caused....and threatened them with calling the police....they should have received my letter today, let's see if they do stop !!!

PLEASE NOTE - I am not a legal expert, what is stated is my own opinion and from what I have learnt from this forum and my own experiences.

DEBT COLLECTION LETTER/SAR/AGREEMENT TEMPLATES ARE HERE - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/content.php?65-legislation

IF WE HAVE BEEN HELPFUL -PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE GIVE A DONATION TO HELP US TO CONTINUE HELPING YOU

I AM HAPPY TO RECEIVE PM's AND I WILL RESPOND IF I FEEL I CAN ASSIST BUT WHEN YOU DO CAN YOU PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD ON WHICH YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO COMMENT - THANK YOU

IMPORTANT - If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.

Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are/or could be seen to be inappropriate for posting on the main forum.Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you are approached by private message with a view to asking you to visit another website,please inform the site team via the report icon.

Forum rules - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forum-rules-please-read/9-forum-rules-please-read.html

I think I am going to try and call their UK call centre and sort it out over the phone or go into branch and try to come to some sort of agreement first and then see if the calls stop. If they then continue then I will send off the harrassment letter as it's beyond a joke and starts to take your life over.

It would help if the people ringing had some concept of the situation you are in and understand that most people are only in this boat due to the huge charges every month. When you speak to people in branch and via the telephone banking number they seem totally seperate from that 0800 India section who I would guess are being paid to chase 'problem customers', as the people in branch don't have logs of these calls (so they say)!

I wouldn't mind if I was in huge amounts of debt but at the end of the day I owe them 150 quid which is the amount I am over my overdraft limit, partly due to their charges.

As for the phone calls, I know this may sound like a stupid question but does it definitely still count as harassment even though I'm not answering them - in fact I'm just hitting ignore as soon as it starts ringing. I feel really cowardly, but I just don't feel strong enough to speak to them. Thanks again.

I can only reiterate what others have said. Log each call. When the dust settles a log it will be important.

Calling every hour is harassment by anyone's standard - though you will have hard job finding legal precedent. What I do know is that the OFT consider the over-frequent contacting of debtors to be oppressive (the word “oppressive” is important – read the Protection from harassment Act) and the CAB consider the most a debtor should be contacted is no more than three times a week - and even that seems excessive to me.

The banks have and are settling harassment claims from debtors. Remember there may be cases of which we hear nothing, in addition to the causes celebres that have been in the media over the past year or two.

I would recommend reading the pertinent cases to get a background should you wish to pursue this avenue:

Majrowski v Guy's, St. Thomas' NHS Trust – Definition of “civil” harassment & vicarious liability

Conn v Sunderland County Council – context

Finally – know you have a right to enjoy you home in relative peace, free from harassment. These are criminal acts being perpetrated against us.

• Haha 1

Stress can be defined in many ways and affects people in different forms....as you have made a reasonable request then there should be no reason why they can't make contact in writing !!! it would probably help if you went to see your doctor too !!!

• 3 weeks later...

These people will not leave me alone! I get a number of calls every day and no longer answer them. The last time I did I lost my temper with the person on the phone as I explained that I had recently paid in a large sum of money. I find it very odd that if HSBC really do need to contact me so urgently why do they never leave a message on my voicemail or attempt to contact me by post?

Next time they call I will have a few things to say to them I think because after reading all this, they clearly harass a lot of people and I will soon be closing all of my HSBC accounts.

I am having the same problem, we are deadlocked, they say they will not pay my excessive charges back over £1300 !! and they are phoning me 3-6 times a day, however I have requested a complaints form from the Financial Ombudsman Service and despite me asking them twice not to call they are still calling, I will let the FOS sort this out, as it is serious harrassment....!! I would vote with your feet Squonk !! and send them this letter....

Your Street

Town

City

Postcode

DATE HERE

Company Name

Road

Town

City / County

Postcode

Re: Harassment by telephone

ACCOUNT NUMBER: XXXXXXX

Dear Sirs

I am writing in relation to the quantity and frequency of telephone calls that I have received from your company, which I deem to be personally harassing.

I have verbally requested that these stop, but I am still receiving calls. (Delete if necessary)

I now require all further correspondence from your company to be made in writing only.

I am of the view that your continued harassment of me by telephone puts you in breach of Section 40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970, and the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

If you continue to harass me by telephone, you will also be in breach of the Communications Act (2003) s.127 and I will report you to, FOS, OFCOM, Trading Standards and The Office of Fair Trading, meaning that you will be liable to a substantial fine.

Be advised that any further telephone calls from your company will be recorded.

Yours faithfully,

[NAME HERE]

ok I am filling in a complaint form to the FOS...it is getting ridiculous...

We are deadlocked, they won't refund my charges, I won't pay them anything until they do !!! And they are still calling me up to 6 times a day - these are just the times I know about !! (it has been 10 times before I started noting all the calls) I have written TWICE re harrassment...!! they have committed a pretty serious CRIMINAL OFFENCE

0800 783 8422 9:48am 10/12/07

6:24pm on 10th December 2007

6:42pm on 10th December 2007

5:17pm on 11th December 2007

1:10pm on 11th December 2007

11:41am on 12th December 2007

3:33pm on 12th December 2007

13:26pm on 14th December 2007

17:44pm on 14th December 2007

10:32am on 15th December 2007

14:59pm on 15th December 2007

13:18pm on 19th December 2007

15:33pm on 19th December 2007

15:49pm on 19th December 2007

20:30pm on 19th December 2007

10:18am on 20th December 2007

10:34am on 20th December 2007

18:55pm on 20th December 2007

10:35am on 21st December 2007

15:24pm on 21st December 2007

1:40pm on 22nd December 2007

12:10pm on 23rd December 2007

13:15pm on 24th December 2007

1:27pm on 27th December 2007 – Silent Call received

14:01pm on 27th December 2007

15:14pm on 29th December 2007

20:08pm on 29th December 2007

14:22pm on 2nd January 2008

15:41pm on 2nd January 2008

17:17pm on 2nd January 2008 – Silent Call received

18:08pm on 2nd January 2008

08456017206 – 11:19 - 7th January 2008

Unknown but claimed from HSBC Bank – 7th January 2008 at 13:03

10:14am on 21st January 2008

13:15pm on 21st January 2008

14:45pm on 21st January 2008 – claimed to be from HSBC Bank

12:39pm on 22nd January 2008

15:45pm on 22nd January 2008

14:18pm on 23rd January 2008

18:33pm on 23rd January 2008

20:23pm on 23rd January 2008

11:47am on 24th January 2008

14:58pm on 24th January 2008

15:45pm on 24th January 2008 – silent call

19:38pm on 24th January 2008

ANOTHER LETTER SENT

11:14am on 25th January 2008

11:15am on 25th January 2008

09:48am on 28th January 2008

09:49am on 28th January 2008

17:25pm on 28th January 2008

13:00pm on 29th January 2008

13:01pm on 29th January 2008

20:37pm on 29th January 2008

08:43am on 30th January 2008

11:59am on 30th January 2008

13:37pm on 31st January 2008

13:38pm on 31st January 2008

11:00am on 8th February 2008

12:01pm on 8th February 2008

13:02pm on 8th Febraury 2008

14:03pm on 8th February 2008

15:05pm on 8th February 2008

8:05am on 9th February 2008

9:45am on 10th February 2008

4:55pm on 10th February 2008

14:54pm on 11th February 2008

8:00pm on 11th February 2008

8:00am on 12th February 2008

16:16pm on 12th February 2008

8:00am on 13th February 2008

17:14pm on 13th February 2008

8:00am on 14th February 2008

18:55pm on 14th February 2008

19:41pm on 19th February 2008

1:45pm on 19th February 2008

11:25am on 20th February 2008

11:26am on 20th February 2008

14:59pm on 20th February 2008

15:00pm on 20th February 2008

17:00pm on 20th February 2008

20:57pm on 20th February 2008

13:13pm on 21st February 2008

15:08pm on 21st February 2008

15:25pm on 21st February 2008

18:25pm on 21st February 2008

13:09pm on 22nd February 2008

13:53pm on 22nd February 2008 – Silent call

15:38pm on 22nd February 2008 – Silent call

15:40pm on 22nd February 2008 – Silent call

In my last letter they said 'despite the OFT you are obliged to continue making payments', they are also saying that they won't refund the charges which were 'applied in accordance with the new terms and conditions which have been applied to various accounts on the 1st December 2006 (UTTER BOWLARKS - they did pay me back some in 2007 !!!!!)

And get this CAGGERS !!! - 'OFCOM regulations state that we can contact our customers at any time between the hours of 8:00am and 9:00pm - Monday to Saturday and 8:00am until 5:00pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays - I sincerely apologise if any inconvenience has been caused to you as a result of the time of these calls however, they are being made in accordance with procedure (yes their own procedures or whichever governing body they feel fits their own shoddy requirements !!!) so it seems they don't care about the OFT or Trading Standards only OFCOM !!!

It gets better...'Due to the inconvenience caused I have removed your telephone numbers from the contact details that we have on our system. This action will prevent telephone calls from being made in the future. Please be advised that we will contact you via post if necessary' This letter is dated almost a month ago !!!! since this letter they have contacted me at least 50 times !!!!

Totaly apalling, how can anyone look at that list and think that is acceptable behaviour, my list looks similar for Halifax and they have said similar rubbish things. What gets me is the "we sincerely apologise" bits and then in the next paragraph say it will continue or we are right / we act within regulations, I told them where to stick their sincerely's and deffo apology NOT accepted.

• Haha 1

Professional Halifax Loather

"In the dark, all cats are grey"

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

• 4 months later...

Hey, 42man, sorry to hear about your harrassment. I found this forum while looking up the 0800 number mentioned. The guy at the other end had a strong accent and said there was something important information he had about my account. He just needed my security number. I nearly burst out laughing, it was like something straight out of that PhoneJacker comedy sketch.

Am really shocked to find that this is a genuine HSBC call.

About your call problem though, I thought it was possible to get certain numbers blocked on your mobile. I know you can activate call barring which blocks all calls incoming and outgoing calls completely. If you can do this for just one day, they might get some message or deadtone or something that might make them think the number is out of use. I haven't tried this myself, but if I get lots of calls I'll give it a go.

You learn something new everyday here :). thanks for that mailmannz.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Mate, if you have online banking, logon and delete all your phone numbers. I did this and havent had a call from the f8ckers since!

Mailman

Mailmannz - you got there before me I was just about to suggest the same thing!

I used to have 5 or 6 calls a day - I used to hate talking to debt collectors etc but now I love it! They get really flustered if you dont give them the info they want and it does make you feel good when you can hear how fustrated they are getting coz you aint playing ball :D

I logged on to my internet banking and deleted my number about 3 weeks ago and havent heard anything since!!

Fatboydukey (FBD) = my big fat ginger tom :DI am of the fairer sex :razz:

HSBC - FBD 1st claim Bank charges Jan 07 = success

HSBC - FBD 2nd claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds - mums claim Bank charges June 08 = on hold

Lloyds PPI - mums claim June 08 = Got back PPI now fighting for interest

Citi loan PPI - FBD June 08 = WON!!!!

Citi cards - FBD Credit card charges June 08 = ongoing

Skycard - FBD Credit card charges - WON!!!

Kays - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = ongoing = told Moorcroft where to go and they went!!!!!

Studio - FBD Catalogue charges June 08 = WON!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

guys thanks for the tip I have logged on to my interent account and updated it ie removed my numbers, hope this works and I can get some sleep, during the day as I work shifts

thanks

i wait to see what happens nothing I hope..silence

Interestingly I thought I'd remove mine as well because I had 15 odd calls last week due to running my account close to the overdraft limit...? (really, no one ever bothered contacting me when I went over and they could charge me!) And you can no longer leave the fields blank...

Means some poor sod whose number I have randomly entered will get harassed next time I run it too close to the wire :p

Hi

We to are receiving regular daily/hourly telephone calls from HSBC. It is the same as everyone else, when you do answer, they want you to confirm all your personal details... I refuse to go through security for what takes anything up to 5 min., they rang me, why should I?

I give the same replys and explanations everytime.

They have all my dispute details registered on all our accounts.. current/business/loan/c.card. Yet they still continue to telephone.

We removed our numbers via internet banking but they still have it to call us, how?

As we are in dispute with them over bank charges and a more serious matter... see thread-Direct Debits aaarrhhhhhhhh!.

We are overdue and overdrawn on all of these accounts now. They just dont get it... If we had the money-the £3000 of our money they spent on our behalf, then we would not be in this situation. They have created the situation we now find ourselves in.

Our credit rating no longer exists... we are seriously out of pocket. For every month that has passed we are incurring on average over £200 per month in charges.

They know the situation, they have been asked by the Ombudsman to hault any further action but they have taken no notice and continue to phone and write.

We have received a default letter on our current account-which has a pending dispute for the refund of charges.

We have also received a default letter for the business account- this is the account that is in dispute with the Financial Ombudsman... I refer to the

If this is still the case then they are in breach on 2 counts.

Who will these people listen to? it is so frustrating and adds more stress to what is already a very stressful situation.

I'm assuming you have taken your claims to court stage and been stayed. If that is the case when is your stay due to expire?

If it is soon, or indeed you could try this anyway, you could try writing to the court and asking that the stay be set aside due to the banks continued harassment in spite of the FOS and the banking code.

pete

• 2 weeks later...

This may not stop the calls but just some information that i got of of a rather helpful agent at HSBC's Southend customer credit services 0845 600 6423...if its true or not i cannot garantee but i had the same problem so i had a few questions written down before i called and these are the responses i was given.

• HSBC call out on each number they hold 3 times a day. Sometimes when an account is opened in the branch telephone numbers are imput in the home, work and mobile field which can lead to up to 9 calls going out on the same number.

• If you delete your numbers it can take up to 48 hours for the number to be removed from their system and if you are in collections for a long time, they have a trace team that find contact numbers for customers that they need to speak to.

• from their outbound centers they need to confirm 3 peices of information they have to state your full name you need to confirm the month and the year of your DOB and then they will confirm back to you your post code, if after this point they can, if you request... confirm any question you have relating to your account so that you know that you are speaking to HSBC.

• They have to pick a "dissposition code" after every call so if you hang up they will choose"disconnected" which can lead to further calls being made untill the call is completed.

• I told her that i didnt like speaking with their collections agents but it would seem that i would have no choice other wise the calls will keep comming out to me, she reassured me if i didnt go through the call or have a missed call to contact the customer credit services number, aslong as they can discuss the reason for the collections calls then they can stop the calls for the rest of the day, but unless a solution is made they cant stop them...but personally i found them so helpfull i dont mind calling in if it means for the rest of the day i can relax. The only down side is, is that they have 2 dept and if they are all on the phones in southend apperently the calls go out to one of their global teams.