salary correct?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I have a bit of a strange question to ask.

I am part of a small team and we all do exactly the same job, Our salary is based on four increments, starting on the lowest. one increment is increased each year of service in the job until you come to the top of the scale. I have been doing the job for over a year now and I received my second increment in April.

Two new employees have just started on the first increment. However our manager advertised the job at a higher salary than what it should have been by mistake, and the employees accepted the jobs based on this salary. This amount is equal to the second increment. After arguing the case the company have had to pay the new employees at this higher salary and rightly so, it was the companies mistake.

(I am getting there!!!)

This is my bit of a beef! Because of this mistake it means that I am being paid less than the two that have only just started, when actually I should be on the next increment up to them as I have done a years service. So they will be on a higher salary for doing the same job for less time. Does this mistake mean that the company should re-assess the salary for all of us, or should it just involve the two new ones?

Thanks a lot, hope it makes sense

Any advice appreciated,

X

You have the right to be paid the same amounts of monies as a colleague doing the same job.

Do these new recruits do the same job? You could argue that your experience is worth more and that your contract, I assume, means that you would always be on one stage of higher pay than somebody who started a year before you. This isn't the case obviously.

Also, everybody above you would then need to be adjusted.

How many people do you think are affected by this?

Hi thank you for your reply.

They do exactly the same job. You are right about the job, I should always be one increment higher, as the two people who started before me are always above me in there salary. I just didnt know legally if this had a knock on effect on me.

There are only 5 of us at the minute.

Thanks a lot for your help

Sorry to say but your employer does not have to pay you a higher rate. However most will if approached agree that its unfair and will try and come to some deal with you.

Go see them, tell them that you now feel under paid and under valued, be polite and keep your fingers crossed.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

my union has full legal assistance.

So did mine.

Still didn't mean I could have full access to it as the first point of call were the reps-most, if not all, had not even basic knowledge of employment law. Hence, only a tiny amount of the union's accounts showed payment's to their lawyers for advice given on individual matters.

Useless.

If your local union rep can't advise you, you have the right to contact the Unions local or head office to speak to someone who can.Unions are sometimes given a bad name mainly through reps who either have not been trained properly, or they do not know the company procedures.