Non fault car accident, how long can I have a hire car for?

Bonus77
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5884 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Friday, the Mrs got hit from the back at a junction to a roundabout close to our house. It did quite a lot of damage, and I expect our car to be written off, but i have a holiday to Devon coming up and I need a car.

Ive been given a hire car, by drive assist, as my claim is pretty conclusive, the other parties fault entirely. His insurance are collecting my car, but not for a few days, so... if they do write it off, how soon can I expect a settlement cheque? I know that drive assist have allowed me to use the car for the hol, but will his insurance cover that cost? I dont want to be suddenly hit with a large bill at the end of all this.

Thoughts anyone?

Most companies will allow you to have a courtesy car for the duration of your car being repaired. If you car is written off, they would usually give you time to accept and receive the settlement cheque (this is usually within a few days of the offer they make for your car) but this can vary from company to company. Drive Assist will notify you when they intend on collecting the courtesy car from you, giving you time to make other arrangements.

DA

If you find the advice I give is useful, then please feel free to click the scales :)

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" :)

In this case it sounds like you have clearly been involved in a non-fault accident and as such subject to certain terms, you are entited to a replacement vehicle.

The TPI are dealing with the vehicular damage itself and if you say that it will likely be write-off then it is mainly down to the TPI to deal with this aspect.

You have a vehicle on Credit Hire - although in this case I suspect subject the the ABI terms and conditions and you are allowed that vehicle so long as certain conditions are met -there is a common-law duty to mitigate your costs as best as you can (ie in this case you would hire a vehicle only as long as you need to and if you don't have access to another vehicle - the acid-test being would you hire it yourself at that rate if you had the funds to do so?)

Strictly speaking if you fail to expedite things then you may be responsible for a proportion of the hire costs yourself!

It depends on what TPI that you are dealing with, as many have large backlogs of work, but I would say that you could usually expect to receive a cheque within say 21 - 28 days. You would then be expected to bank tghe cheque as quickly as possible and the hire to end, so long as this occurs then generally speaking you will not have a problem with Drive Assist recouping the full cost of the hire.

Thanks guys, your advice is appreciated.

Lloyds TSB insurers reps (well mechanics anyway), collected my bashed up car yesterday so hopefully it wont last too long before they start to make offers.. will they phone me or write to me?

As I said, I just dont want to have to pay for the hire, but after reading your comments, im reassured that im doing all I can to ensure the hire be kept to a minimum... afterall, the mechanics originally couldnt even collect my car til the 29/8. It was only when I told them that it was probably a write off, they came next working day.

I had a car with Drive assist and I have to say they were excellent. They said I could keep the hire car for 14 days after I receive my cheque to give me time to bank it, cash it and buy a new car. Even if they drag out the settlement for weeks they don't care because they just claim the bill back off the 3rd party.

• 6 months later...

The wife got her cortesy car from Drive Assist, at the start they kept asking how long it was going to take for our car to be done.

When we told them that the reapair company had picked it up, they stopped calling.

But when it came to them taking the car back, it took them over a week, to come and collect it.

But they are good and helpfull, they may allow you to keep the car untill your cheque clears, but not sure as the only time I have ever had a write of, was years ago. I got out of hospital the day after the accident and went and saw my car at where it was being held.

The day after that so about 3 or 4 days after the accident I had the insurance company making me an offer. Which I accepted lucky enough I was out with Gaz and my mum and dad, so I asked my dad what he thought, he said accept it so I did.

A week later I had a new car. So it shouldn't take that long to sort out.

If what we say helps you, then please tip the scales.:cool:

Hi, did you claim for any injuries, i.e. whiplash etc. more details on this at (EDIT).

I don't know how claiming for injuries is relevant to the original question and I don't know what the link was that Rory removed but is it fair to assume that it was for one of those firms of ambulance chasing idiots who encourage people to claim for minor injuries that actually cause them no financial loss, thus ensuring that everybody's insurance premium is sky high!

• Haha 1