• Tweets

• Yes, I understand that but I thought, given that's a strong point they might decide to discontinue and it might not go any further. Not that I'm bothered about going to court, it's just that I don't get anything out of it if I do. I propose a new rule. If the defendant wins, the claimant should have to award the defendant the sum of costs they were seeking. Which in my case is £140 thank you very much. Then it would be worthwhile, lol!    😃
    • The Tories election campaign is basically whatever the Daily Mail and Express write about as concerns of the 'British people'.  The latest speech by Sunak about sick note Britain is the latest. Perhaps there needs to be a discussion on the mental health crisis that is stopping a large number of people from working.  When people are having to wait for months for a Mental Health assessment and then a very long time for any therapy treatment, then that is not going to help. The problem with many politicians speeches is that they identify problems, but when it comes to solutions that are going to cost billions, plus take many years to put into place, they shy away from the practical actions that would be required. Instead they will come up with some slight tinkering actions at a cheaper cost, that won't make much difference.  There are probably  hundreds of thousands of disabled people who would like to work, but many employers won't offer them employment as they are not willing to make the reasonable adjustments to make it happen. If the Government pledged to support employers financially with the costs that would be incurred, then I am sure we would see many more disabled people in workplaces.
    • yeah the outstanding balance is correct as I was already in a payment plan with hmrc up till about a year ago when they suddenly stopped taking payments from my bank so me being naive I just left it assuming they would get back in contact to resume payments but instead I got this letter.. I am just glad it won’t show on my credit file as I have only just got it to excellent   
    • I've had a look on their site to see if there is a way to download photos, but haven't found anything. The best thing is to send them a SAR on Monday.  Invest in a 2nd class stamp and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office. That way they will have to produce the original invoice, a windscreen ticket if it exists, photos, etc.  
    • So today I’ve recieved a letter from J&P after a long time this time with forms attached to respond back about how much I can repay etc and that if I do not respond within 30 days court proceedings will apply   I had wrote to NBD bank to inform them of my new address and to resolve this matter last month, but I haven’t had any confirmation or heard back from them. Should I write to them again?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Certegy Ltd.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

First time poster on here and i was wondering if anyone could give me any advice.

I took out a "cash till payday" loan with a company and to cut a long story short the cheques i wrote out bounced because of lack of money in my bank account.The company i originally took the loans out with then passed this over to a company called "CERTEGY LTD".The original loan was for 3x£100.Certagy then increase this amount to £444 to cover "costs".I recieved a letter from certegy telling me the cheques had bounced and i need to contact them, which i did straight away.I explained to the man on ther phone that there would not be enough money in my account to cover these cheques and i would have to come to some sort of arrangement with him to pay this money back.He the told me to send an income and expendature letter to them explaining what i get in every month and the payouts that i make, which i did.After doing this ,this left me with £50 per month to pay this back.Certegy then decided to re present to my bank the cheques another two times, leaving me with £351 pounds in bank charges now to pay.So i rang back and asked why and the man said "its an automated system and we cannot stop it".I was by this time becoming angry so i again sent a letter explaining that i can only afford to pay £50 per month, which he blankly refused to accept.He then told me he has now given this over to a door to door dept collection agency and if i dont pay in full they will take me to court.I just wanted to ask, is this usual.Surely if you make an offer of payment they should at least try to come to an agreement with you.The charges are now getting out of control and i dont like the idea of someone turning up on my doorstep demanding money off me.Any advice on what i should do next.??

There is nothing to stop you pursuing your bank for a refund of the charges for the bounced transactions. Before doing that you should cancel any outstanding cheques to the loan sharks that are unlikely to clear.

You need to find out exactly what charges have been applied to the account and what they're for. It's quite likely that they will be penalty charges of one sort or another and you shouldn't pay these or any interest on them. If you don't know what the charges are for then you should send Certegy a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act. You should also notify them that the charges that have been applied are in dispute.

You will need to pay back the loan. If you have sent an income and expenditure forecast that shows you can afford £50 per month then start sending this. The chances are that these clowns will never go to court and they're unlikely to send doorstep collectors around. If they do take you to court, a judge will only ask you to pay what you can afford and won't be impressed by their tactics. If they do send someone round you don't have to speak to them, or let them in. They have ABSOLUTELY NO POWER over you. If you tell them to go away and they don't, call the police and demand that they be removed.

Thank you seminole for your reply.As an addition to this i came home from work tonight to find a postcard in my letter box.I rang certegy straight away and asked why i had recieved this.He said it had now been passed on to a door to door collection agency and this was someone coming to my house to deliver legal documents.

Sounds to me that they're trying to exploit what they consider to be your lack of knowledge of your rights for financial gain.

Now where have I heard that before in relation to a debt collection company?

IMHO they're out of order on two grounds.

1) They represented your cheques after you had told them no money would be in the account. Is it automatic? I don't know...

2) They have failed to accept what appears to be a perfectly reasonable offer of payment.

There are others on this forum with far more knowledge than me about these matters and I'm positive that one of them will post very shortly with some clearer answers and a possible solution. (semi just did!)

The good news is that I think they have to get some kind of court charging order to implement bailiffs. That gives you a chance to defend yourself and appeal - and I reckon that any court wil take the above into consideration.

Doorstep collectors aren't anything to worry about. All they can do if you refuse to pay is pass the buck (or lack of it) back to the collection agency. If the collectors are a fair firm though, they may just accept your original offer of £50 a month or even less - just watch out for any additional charges.

"One of the most awkward things that can happen in a pub is when your pint-to-toilet cycle gets synchronised with a complete stranger." - Peter Kay

Thank you seminole for your reply.As an addition to this i came home from work tonight to find a postcard in my letter box.I rang certegy straight away and asked why i had recieved this.He said it had now been passed on to a door to door collection agency and this was someone coming to my house to deliver legal documents.

Was this hand delivered or posted.

One other thing- stop ringing these prople. Communicate only in writing.

I just read a letter i recieved from them and it has a list of charges on the back.

1)Redeposit of cheque £10.00

2)Cheque returned unpaid £10.00

3)Cheque returned unpaid payment stopped £20.00

4)Cheque returned account closed £20.00

5)Letter charge £10.00

6)Referring account to external debt collection agency £50.00

7)Setting up payment plan of installements £10.00 or 15%

They sound like unlawful penalty charges to me. Have a look at the FAQ section and Library if you have't already done so. It will give you the background to the legal position and the steps you need to take to recover any unlawful charges that you have paid.

It was posted, but it said someone would be at my house between 9am and 9pm on the pastcard.

It's very, very unlikely that anyone will turn up. It's simply not cost effective for them to send people round to visit all of their "customers". If they do turn up, you don't have to speak to them or even acknowledge their existance. If they cause trouble, call the police and report them for tio your local Trading Standards for harassment

You have made a perfectly reasonable offer. These empty threats are merely their attempt at intimidation.

Anyone who turns up to collect money during an England match is either Scottish or deserves a piece of your mind.

"One of the most awkward things that can happen in a pub is when your pint-to-toilet cycle gets synchronised with a complete stranger." - Peter Kay

• 4 weeks later...

Oi! I'm Scottish, only joking. I've just had a similar experience with Certegy. All they want though is £78.50 in charges for a bounced cheque of £66, which I of course have refused to pay. The cheque has now been paid.

I have just started a thread detailing my experience. Just search for Certegy and you will find it.

Did the debt collector ever show up?

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya!

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya! :grin:

Barclays - settled in full £4799.38 ;)

No he didnt show up but i did send in a stern letter of complaint to the original company that the cheques bounced with and 2 days later i recieved an apologetic phone call for someone in certagy saying they had now decided to except my original offer of £50 per month after all.These companies try scare tactics to get you paying more then you can afford.

• 1 year later...

hi, i'm in the same boat as mygreengenes, a cheque bounced for £61.20 to an online shop, certegy got involved, i got letters telling me about various charges, which i didnt pay, they said they would forget about the charges (£45.30 odd amount i know) if i paid in full immiediatly which i did but now 3+ yrs later theyve passed the dept on to scotcall a doorstep collection firm from glasgow, theyve sent me a letter saying i owe them £46.50 which i must pay within 7 days, that was 8 days ago, i'm gettin abit worried, i dont want 2 big ass blokes knockin on my door tryin to intimidate the money out of me.

the charges are pulled from thin air but i dont want my credit file getting depts on it so i'm tempted 2 just pay up.

are they allowed to accept full payment for the original amount & then hassle you for payment of charges they said they would forget?

also when i bought the items from the online shop & got involved with these thugs that are certegy i was only 15, surley these charges wouldn't count even if they were genuine.

can anyone give me advice, opinions as to this matter, the citizens advice beuro can help for the people who have posted above but could i have everyones views as to what my rights are etc.

thanks in advance

• 5 years later...

Help!! I had a issue where I bounced a cheque. It was a mistake and I had a company called certegy contact me I settled the debt within a few weeks I found them to have a bulley attitude and they dealt with the matter in a very unprofessional manor. I asked for a receipt and the women Said...... People who bounce cheques don't have a right for one in a very bitchy manor and said I was not able to get one.... This seams wrong can anyone help or are they too big to challenge. I know I bounced a cheque I never denied it I never avoided contact and I always called them back and I frankly got treated like **** ......help

When you wrote the cheque did you see a sign which informed you that you are entering into a contract with Certegy or Transax? If there was no sign then you do not need to pay Certegy a penny. If you have cleared the cheque, Certegy do not have a leg to stand on. Don't give them a penny. Follow the link at the post above yours and you will find a letter I wrote to them and the reply.

Don't let the fatherless chillen get ya! :grin:

Barclays - settled in full £4799.38 ;)