Housing allowance

GlasweJen

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5149 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in Edinburgh and applied for housing allowance as I'm a disabled student on a tiny income. entitledto.com reconed i should get about £70 per week in housing allowance and the edinburgh council web page specifically had a question "are you a full time student" and "if yes do you recieve disability benefit". Because my answer was yes to both of these the webpage led me to where I could fill in the form, with that done i sent a printed and signed page away along with my notice from the DWP, my passport and some other stuff on the list. I promptly got my stuff back saying that as i'm a full time student i'm automatically disqualified from getting housing allowance but if that's the case how could i access the form and where did entitledto go wrong? To test the website a friend entered his details and did not get through to the form even though we're in identical situations but he is not disabled.

Does anyone know more about this allowance and shed some light for me? The page says to read the SAAS site but that's perfectly useless as it only details loans, bursaries and other education related stuff.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

Not ure about this but did a google and came up with this site Help with your rent – Housing Benefit

Also here Shelter: Housing benefit for students

On these sites it does say that if you are disabled you can get it. Maybe you should see the CAB.

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

hmm, i think it has to do with tax credits, for some bizzare reason one of my student friends get the housing allowance as she's disabled, she isn't entitled to DLA (which i get) but as she gets working tax credit with a disabled element she got housing allowance.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

It all seems a bit confusing. I'm a mature full time with a teenage son living with me. I get DLA as well as a student grant. I used to get some housing benefit until my son turned 18 this year. This then all stopped. When I queried it I was told that as I now have a non dependant living with me (i.e. my son is now an 'adult') I am no longer entitled to it.

This probably doesn't help in your situation but I thought I'd just tell you what happened to me as it does seem to be rather a lottery as to what you get. I'd be inclined to appeal the decision.

Dee

To be honest i don't think a decision was even made, i sent off the stuff and got it back 2 days later in the post which is pretty darn quick considering there's been a strike on.

It seems as though they didn't read your application properly. They probably saw the word 'student' and didn't read the rest. You could, if you had the time, take the form into the council and explain, with proof of DLA and student status etc.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get somewhere with persistence.