Landlord is selling flat I am living in, what are my rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

About three months ago I posted for troubles with the previous landlord and here I am again, starting to get really stressed with this city..anyway here goes:

I moved in this new flat in June through an agency.

Today they called me telling me that the landlord is going to sell the house we are in (this monday a guy will visit the flat to evaluate it) and that we should not worry because the future landlord wants to keep it rent it too so it shouldnt affect us.

We signed a minimum 8 months contract.

- What are my rights? Do I have the right to stay at least 8 months?

- If the new owner wants to live in the house as soon as he buys it, what happens to me? Can he do it, what are my rights?

- The agency told us we should not worry and everything will stay the same. If it does, after the 8 months, can he increase the rent? If so, for how much?

- You have exactly the same rights with the new owner as the previous owner - period. the change of landlord does not affect your tenancy in any way - you are entitled to stay the same fixed period etc.

- After the fixed term, the landlord can offer a new contract to increase the rent. You are within your rights to refuse to sign such a contract, in which case you would go onto a SPT(periodic tenancy) - in effect a month to month tenancy. However, should you refuse such a rent increase, I would expect to be evicted fairly quickly, which the landlord has a right to do outside of the fixed term. Same goes for if they increase your rent with an S13 notice(just another way of increasing rent is all you need to know for your situation).

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!