• Tweets

• Just to clear it up, sorry I don't make sense sometimes. I have paid £4000 £1200 of that was suppose to clear the £1200 debt.   Meaning I have sent a extra £2800 on top of my normal mainternance money.   Thank you
    • Try CPR 31.15 Possibly but a party is not compelled to disclose any documents pre allocation
    • Hi, I shown my key worker a letter that was sent to me saying that I owe £1200, she setup a standing order around 2021, this was to pay back money I owed, with my mental health status I have had complex issues to deal with and I just simply forgot about this standing order so it has been running for about 3.5 years acording to my key worker, anyway I'm not worried about the money that was sent that I call a overpayment, it went towards supporting my child's household so I am just happy with that, I am a little sad that I am being told I still owe this £1200, I have sent bank statements over 3 years worth but they have not taken away this £1200 bill and still say I owe it   Thank you
    • She did try contacting EON in the early days of the debt but they refused to speak to her because she could not pass the security checks. She didn't know the answers on an account she hadn't opened?   I also saw this article recently which could be what has happended here: Debt collection agencies in the UK are using fair means or foul to link people to an address where an unpaid debt has been run up, sometimes years after they have moved out The Guardian Anna Tims Mon 22 Apr 2024 The letter from the debt collection agency arrived out of the blue, and it was intimidating. It informed Joshua Simpson* that he owed £2,212 to Octopus Energy, and accused him of ignoring previous requests to settle the bill. If he did not stump up within 14 days, he was told, further action would be taken to recover the money. Simpson checked his Octopus account – it was in credit. Then he noticed the address where the debt had been accrued between 2022 and 2023. It was his childhood home – which his family had sold 18 years previously. "Since I was only 16 when we left the property, I was astonished that they'd linked my name [to it]," he says. "The debt collection agency insisted I provide a tenancy agreement to prove how long I've lived at my current address. I couldn't, since we bought our home. "They are now actively pursuing me for this debt, causing me a huge amount of stress. We are about to remortgage, and if this debt prevents us switching to a better deal, we will face real financial hardship." Simpson had been sucked into the shadowy world of "identity tracing", whereby investigators recruited by creditors seek to locate individuals who have moved home without paying their bills. It is an unregulated sector where anyone can set up as an agent in a back room without a licence, or scrutiny, and use fair means or foul to identify debtors. Reputable companies join a trade association that operates a code of practice, but membership is not mandatory, and mistakes are common. Last year, a teenage boy was chased for a debt of more than £900 by debt collectors acting for the energy company Ovo. A "trace agent" had somehow linked him to the debt because his parents had previously rented the property in question. An investigation by the Observer established that the debt had been run up by a subsequent tenant. The consequences of mistaken identity can be catastrophic. Individuals who are erroneously linked to a debt face, at worst, court action, bailiffs and a ruined credit rating. At best, they can endure weeks of stress and paperwork in order to prove they are not the debtor. It is estimated that 20m identity traces are made in the UK every year, many on behalf of companies that are owed money. Personal data is often obtained from credit reference agencies, which record applications for credit, and details are supposed to be verified with several different sources before being used for debt enforcement. In practice, however, this does not always happen. Simpson's details had been passed along a chain of intermediaries before the demand was issued. Octopus had given the unpaid account to a debt collection agent, which had contracted a tracing service, GBG, to find the debtor................ Full Article: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/oct/04/a-cry-for-help-energy-providers-play-the-villain-in-dramas-to-chill-the-blood ..............The Financial Ombudsman Service, which investigates complaints about financial firms, states that debt collection agents have to produce convincing evidence to link an individual to a debt, rather than rely on names, addresses and birth dates. According to the trade association, the Institute of Professional Investigators, an unknown number of investigators and trace agents are operating below the radar. Many more are merely inept, as data protection compliance training is not mandatory. "We have been campaigning for many, many years to try to get all private investigators regulated," says secretary general Glyn Evans.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

The Bank Charges Reclaiming Charter

muggyno1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6102 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have started this thread here to provide a single visible point for all CAGers to comment on this second draft, especially since the CAG is mentioned as supporting it. All comments or suggestions welcome, negative or positive

From Martin Lewis' Moneysavingexpert site

Quote:

MoneySavingExpert.com, ConsumerActionGroup.co.uk & PenaltyCharges.co.uk

The regulator, the FSA has suspended bank charges reclaiming awaiting a court decision based on the Office of Fair Trading’s agreed test case with the banks. This decision was taken without any consultation with the consumer groups who have been championing bank charges reclaiming.

The three campaigning groups behind this charter, have or are helping between them well over 1.5 million people reclaim and ask all politicians, decision makers, bank customers and shareholders to consider the following.

• Five pounds is a fair maximum amount for bank charges. Banks have been charging around £30 for penalty charges; this is totally disproportionate to their actual costs. Even generous estimates suggest £2.50 is an appropriate cost, so a five pound maximum is a more than generous limit.
  • Penalty charge structures leave finances irrevocably damaged. Often penalty charges occur in batches, a simple shopping trip and miscalculation of how much is left in an account, can result in £100s in charges. This then snowballs, as people don’t have the resources to pay the charges and are thus charged more. The banks make over £1 billion a year from these charges, which often irrecoverably destroy peoples finances.
  • Bank accounts are obligatory & there’s no competition. In the modern age, there is little choice but to have a bank account; both employer and social security offices rarely accept an alternative. Yet there is no competitive market for bank charges, all banks charge similar amounts.
  • Bank should not be allowed to levy charges during the stay. Banks have already paid out over £500 million to reclaimers; a sum indicative of the fragility of their case. The consumer has not been served by putting a hold on reclaiming cases, meanwhile banks continue to levy these charges, which continues to debilitate people’s finances. The hold on bank charges reclaiming should be lifted, but if not the levying of charges by the banks should also be put on hold.
  • Any agreed new charge levels must apply to past as well as current customers. The OFT credit card ruling in 2006 indicated a maximum £12 charge, yet omitted to infer that those who had previously been charged more should be allowed to reclaim it. When a new settlement figure (of no more than £5) is reached, customers must be allowed to reclaim all amounts above that for the prior 6 years.
  • Payouts should be made automatically, without request. Banks have taken money from their customers without asking; when the Courts rule these charges are unlawful, they should be made to pay them back without the need for customers to request it. If this does not happen, there’s been little benefit to consumers of this test case and moratorium.
  • Repayments should include 8% statutory interest. Repaid charges should include interest at 8% the rate applied to successful reclaimants in the Courts. Interest should also be compounded.
  • All credit file defaults resulting from unfair penalty charges must be deleted. Banks must agree that all default records that have been placed on credit files due to unathorised overdraft charges/penalty charges should be wiped.
  • There should be an immediate moratorium on all default entries. During the period of the OFT litigation we require there to be an immediate moratorium on the placing of defaults on the credit record of any customers in respect of any sum which is comprised either wholly or substantially of charges.

I commented on the original draft but any changes have been largely cosmetic. I particularly object to point 1 because it undermines the argument that penalty charges are unlawful. Is ML really speaking for us?

Muggy

LTSB £9,356 settled in full through the FOS

SIGN the petition to make banks deal with charges

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

Test Case is being handled.

I agree, if we allow them to have the £5.00 mark up then it will creep up again and again and we will be back to where we are now. It should be taken out as the banks should not even be making a 1p profit. they should be charging us the pennies that it costs them each time and no more.

I hope there are more of us that feel this way,

(Signatories to be confirmed)

The regulator, the FSA has allowed the banks to suspend bank charges reclaiming awaiting a court decision based on the Office of Fair Trading’s agreed test case with the banks. As a result the Finacial Ombudsman Service has ceased investigating bank charges complaints. This decision was taken without any consultation with the consumer groups who have been championing bank charges reclaiming.

We ask all politicians, decision makers, bank customers and shareholders to consider and act on the following:

• Penalty charges unfairly target the most vulnerable. Redundancy, illness and bereavement are often the triggersof financial difficulty. Far from helping in these situations banks add to the spiral of debt by imposing unnecessary and unlawful penalty charges.
  • Banks must never profit from penalty charges. Banks have been charging around £30 for penalty charges. As their actual costs are in most cases pennies, this is an abuse of their position of dominance over the consumer.
  • Bank accounts are obligatory & there’s no competition. Consumers have no choice but to have a bank account; both employer and social security offices rarely accept an alternative. Yet there is no competitive market for bank charges and no ethical bank has come forward to challenge the high street.
  • The FSA waiver should be rescinded as soon as possible. The FSA waiver is anti-consumer and is weighted unfairly in favour of the banks. The waiver should be lifted and complaints directly to the banks, via the Financial Ombudsman Service and through the courts allowed to continue.
  • Bank should not be allowed to levy charges during any moratirium. Banks have already paid out over £500 million to reclaimers; a sum indicative of the fragility of their case. The consumer has been penalised by putting a hold on reclaiming cases. Meanwhile banks continue to levy these charges, which continues to debilitate people’s finances. Until the hold on bank charge reclaims is lifted, the levying of charges by the banks should be put on hold.
  • Any agreed non-profit charge levels must be applied retrospectively. The OFT credit card ruling in 2006 omitted to order that those who had previously been overcharged should be allowed to reclaim. When new non-profit figures are reached, customers must be allowed to reclaim all amounts above that for the entire period of their relationship with the bank.
  • Payouts should be made automatically, without request. Banks have taken money from their customers without asking; when the Courts rule these charges are unlawful, they should be made to pay them back without the need for customers to request it. If this does not happen, there’s been little benefit to consumers of this test case and moratorium.
  • Repayments should include 8% statutory interest. Repaid charges should include interest at 8% the rate applied to successful reclaimants in the Courts. Interest should also be compounded.
  • All credit file defaults resulting from unfair penalty charges must be deleted. Banks must agree that all default records that have been placed on credit files due to unathorised overdraft charges/penalty charges should be wiped.
  • There should be an immediate moratorium on all default entries. During the period of the OFT litigation we require there to be an immediate moratorium on the placing of defaults on the credit record of any customers in respect of any sum which is comprised either wholly or substantially of charges.

This, for what it's worth, is a first stab at what might be a more acceptable document. Still not really hard hitting enough but maybe we should try to produce something that CAGers would be happy with?

ML probably wouldn't take any notice, but what the Hey?

Muggy

COMPLAIN to your MP about the FSA waiver and the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT

I agree with healthy debate on this forum - but in respect of the charge comment

is not this guidance relevant

Case guidance notes - bringing your case to court

there are two arguments that we all have to be prepared for and I think that is why the wording is not as bad as you infer?

In the real world we have to face the fact that the banks are in business for a profit - if they dont make it in these penalties/service they will charge elsewhere and as it is a monopoly we will all have to pay in some way in the end. surely the main point is that the charges should be proportionate and not hit those in a less fortunate position i.e those who struggle each month to stay within budget. If it means that all customers will have to pay a small ( as it is spread over millions of customers) monthly admin charge - And those who go over their limits are charged admin and a small profit margin then I think that is fairer?

civilised comments?

jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

I agree with healthy debate on this forum - but in respect of the charge comment

is not this guidance relevant

Case guidance notes - bringing your case to court

there are two arguments that we all have to be prepared for and I think that is why the wording is not as bad as you infer?

In the real world we have to face the fact that the banks are in business for a profit - if they dont make it in these penalties/service they will charge elsewhere and as it is a monopoly we will all have to pay in some way in the end. surely the main point is that the charges should be proportionate and not hit those in a less fortunate position i.e those who struggle each month to stay within budget. If it means that all customers will have to pay a small ( as it is spread over millions of customers) monthly admin charge - And those who go over their limits are charged admin and a small profit margin then I think that is fairer?

civilised comments?

jan

Hi Jan,

I agree with you up to a point. However, the original charter that I have amended is supposed to be a response, prepared by Martin Lewis, by the three main web sites including CAG to the OFT test case and FSA waiver on charges complaints.

As such it needs to put forcefully what we have always contended. That is that Penalty charges are penalties for a breach of contract and therfore the banks cannot make a profit on them. Indeed this is the first legal point to be argued in the test case.

The document as originally drafted played into the banks' hands as it undermined that argument and gave the impression that we had conceded the banks' claim that these are not penalty but service charges. Concede that point and we will be left with arguing under competition law and discussing mark-ups. There are enough peoplw giving up this fight without us doing it as well.

Cheers.

Muggy

point taken

the last thing we want is to help the banks

its just that I feel that those responsible have been trusted to do the right thing so far and have done a brilliant job. I am sure they have thought about this very carefully

Jan

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Jan,

Yes, a lot of good things have been done. This time, however, they may have thought carefully about it but still got it wrong!

Cheers.

Muggy

in your opinion.

Whoops better watch myself see you live in oxfordshire too !

You may be a neighbour!:D

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

We could have an even healthier debate then!

Not just my opinion Jan, thousands of us.

In any case, why are the site owners not entering any of the debates on this subject. It would be nice to have some sort of response somewhere.

Muggy

We could have an even healthier debate then!

Not just my opinion Jan, thousands of us.

Muggy

gosh you have amassed your army in record time.

dont worry you will get a reaction- no shrinking violets here.

I just think reading Bill65 thread that sometimes there is an overload of contradictory evidence that takes a while to sink in.

Most people just want clear guidelines in one area that they can act on in good faith.

jan

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Hi Muggy

Well, you know my opinion on this, and my opinion of Bill65's copy post from mse is even lower.

Things like this cause fighting in the ranks - oh boy, how the banks would love to know that!

We are supposed to be united in a common goal, but recent events and loads of speculation have led to, erm, struggling for an analogy here, militant factions is a bit strong, but it's the only description I can come up with at the moment.

I am NOT digging at anyone on this thread BTW, merely stating my point of view in a democratic forum!

Jo xx

23_165_7.gif

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

I will look at the bill65 thread.

Muggy