does anyone have a copy of their CCA from next

malaga1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

tomterm, what do you think I should now write? I had put everything in my defence re sending them CCA request and they did not send one. This was back in MAY. They have not complied with Courts original judgement asking for it to be supplied by 1st October. I have noticed on this latest order that it is a differant judge that has made the order.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it seems thatthe judge is looking at this from the angle of the 2006 consumer credit act not the 1974 one. if htat is hte case he is wrong to do so as section 127 is not repealled retrospectivly so therefore old agreement come under the 1974 act

which is confirmed here The Consumer Credit Act 2006 (Commencement No. 2 and Transitional Provisions and Savings) Order 2007 (No. 123 (C. 6)) - Statute Law Database

im sure tom will come up with something, but i think it is certainly relevent that the judge is drawn to the Authority of Wilson and any other Statutes that you are relying on

he cannot ignore it if it is drawn to his attention, but the onus is on you to raise the info to his attention not for the court to research the law on your behalf

Regards

paul

• Haha 1

For the Attention of the Case Manager

In the matter of

XXX vs malaga1

Claim Number XXX

In XXX Court

Court Address

DATE

YOUR ADDRESS

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: LETTER REQUESTING CLARIFICATION

With regard to the above case, I am writing to ask the court to consider using its powers to order the claimant to clarify its case.

The court may not be aware that, on the Xth and Xth, I requested an original copy of the credit agreement made between us. The account is regulated by the consumer credit act 1974, and a requirement of that act for the enforcement of any credit agreement is the existence of a document containing the prescribed terms, whether or not in the prescribed format, is signed by the debtor.

Enforcement orders in cases of infringement.

— (1) In the case of an application for an enforcement order under—

(a) section 65(1)(improperly executed agreements), or

(b) section 105(7)(a) or (b)(improperly executed security instruments), or

© section 111(2)(failure to serve copy of notice on surety), or

(d)section 124(1) or (2)(taking of negotiable instrument in contravention of section 123),the court shall dismiss the application if, but (subject to subsections (3) and (4)) only if, it considers it just to do so having regard to—

(i) prejudice caused to any person by the contravention in question, and the degree of culpability for it; and

(ii) the powers conferred on the court by subsection (2) and sections 135 and 136.

(3) The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a)(signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner).

I am aware that next has regularly failed to be able to produce a document that complies with the requirements of the act, and has on occasion brought an argument that these requirements are not necessary for the launch of a successful claim. They instead bring the claim that they are entitled to sue for “goods sold”.

However, these arguments have already been argued without success before the house of lords in Wilson and others v. Secretary of State for Trade and Industry[2003] UKHL 40, Dimond vs Lovell , and dozens of other cases that have been brought before the house of Lords, appeals court and high court.

There is, I admit, some confusion in relation to section 15 of the consumer credit act 2006. However, Parliament did consider whether the changes reflected in that act should be retrospective, and in schedule 3 section 11 of that act expresses its intentions clearly:

The repeal by this Act of—

(a)the words “(subject to subsections (3) and (4))” in subsection (1) of section 127 of the 1974 Act,

(b)subsections (3) to (5) of that section, and

©the words “or 127(3)” in subsection (3) of section 185 of that Act,

has no effect in relation to improperly-executed agreements made before the commencement of section 15 of this Act.

In order to save the honourable court unneccessary time and expense, I would respectfully quote Lord Nicholls speach in Wilson (emphasis is mine):

46. Before considering whether section 127(3) is compatible with article 1 of the First Protocol I must digress to deal with two preliminary matters. The first concerns the legal consequences of section 127(3). When a regulated agreement is rendered irredeemably unenforceable by section 127(3), the lender is unable to enforce the agreement. But does he, quite apart from his (unenforceable) rights under the agreement, have a restitutionary claim against the borrower in respect of the money lent? The parties to the agreement intended the money would be repayable in accordance with the terms of the agreement. Inability to enforce the terms of the agreement does not inevitably carry with it the consequence that the borrower may simply keep the money. Retention of the money, it is said, would be unjust enrichment, for which the appropriate remedy would be an order that the borrower repay what was never intended to be other than a loan. Reliance was placed, by way of analogy, on the decision of the Court of Appeal in
Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale v Islington London Borough Council
[1994] 1 WLR 938. There a bank paid money to a local authority under an interest rate swap agreement, which was held later to be outside the local authority's powers. The local authority had been unjustly enriched and the bank was entitled to a restitutionary remedy.

47. A secondary question also arises: if the lender does have a restitutionary claim, is that a matter to be taken into account when considering whether section 127(3) is compatible with article 1 of the First Protocol?

48. I can deal with these two questions quite shortly, starting with the latter. I am in no doubt that a lender's restitutionary remedy, if he has one, is a matter to be taken into account when considering whether section 127(3) is compatible with article 1 of the First Protocol. The adverse consequences of an alleged infringement of a Convention right cannot sensibly be assessed other than in the round. The real position of the claimant is what matters. If in practice a lender can ameliorate the immediate and directly adverse consequence of section 127(3) by resort to some other right or remedy readily available to him, that is a matter to which the court must have regard. I cannot accept the contrary arguments addressed to the House.

49. I consider, however, that there is no relevant restitutionary remedy generally available to a lender in the circumstances now under consideration.
The message to be gleaned from sections 65, 106, 113 and 127 of the Consumer Credit Act is that where a court dismisses an application for an enforcement order under section 65 the lender is intended by Parliament to be left without recourse against the borrower in respect of the loan
. That being the consequence intended by Parliament, the lender cannot assert at common law that the borrower has been unjustly enriched. That would be inconsistent with the parliamentary intention in rendering the entire agreement unenforceable. True, the Consumer Credit Act does not expressly negative any other remedy available to the lender, nor does it render an improperly executed agreement unlawful.
But when legislation renders the entire agreement inoperative, to use a neutral word, for failure to comply with prescribed formalities the legislation itself is the primary source of guidance on what are the legal consequences. Here the intention of Parliament is clear.

50. This interpretation of the Consumer Credit Act accords with the approach adopted by the House in
Orakpo v Manson Investments Ltd
[1978] AC 95, regarding section 6 of the Moneylenders Act 1927 and, more recently, in
Dimond v Lovell
[2002] 1 AC 384, another case where section 127(3) precluded the making of an enforcement order. In
Dimond's
case the restitutionary remedy sought was payment of the hire charge for a replacement car used by Mrs Dimond. The House rejected a claim advanced on the basis of unjust enrichment.
Lord Hoffmann observed that Parliament contemplated that a debtor might be enriched consequential upon non-enforcement of an agreement pursuant to the statutory provisions. It was not open to the court to say this consequence is unjust and should be reversed by a remedy at common law: [2002] 1 AC 384, 397-398.

I would therefore respectfully request that the court makes an order to the claimant to clarify the grounds upon which it brings this action, and in the absence of any enforceable credit agreement, strikes out this case as vexatious.

Yours Sincerely,

XXX.

• Haha 1

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

• 1 month later...

Today I have received this from courts..... It is Ordered That the Defendant is to file and serve a detailed Defence pursuant to CPR 16.5 by 9th January. It seems like they have totally ignored the above letter! Anyone know what above section is? Thanks!!!

Malaga1

Dont panic, when i get back this evening i will put together a defence to this action and post what i suggest on here

the usual rules apply, i am not a lawyer and my advices is purely advisory, you use this on you own initiative

regards

paul

well malaga1 , i will put up a defence for you this evening, i cant say what time it will be but, i can say it will be tonight before midnight cause i have to get a few things sorted

so the claimant is next, right thats ok, we can deal with this, oh out of curiosity have you ever recieved a Default Notice? if you have it would be in our favour as we can show they are stating the account comes under the remit of the CCA 74

i will be back in a while

Merry Christmas

In the xxxxxxxx County Court

Claim number

Between

Next- Claimant

and

Malaga1 - Defendant

Defence

1. I xxxxxxxxx of xxxxxxxxxxxxx am the defendant in this action and make the following statement as my defence to the claim made by xxxxxxxxxxxxx

2. Except where otherwise mentioned in this defence, I neither admit nor deny any allegation made in the claimants Particulars of Claim and put the claimant to strict proof thereof.

3. The Defendant is embarrassed in pleading to the Particulars of Claim as it stands at present, inter alia: -

4. The claimants' particulars of claims disclose no legal cause of action and they are embarrassing to the defendant as the claimant's statement of case is insufficiently particularised and does not comply or even attempt to comply with CPR part 16. In this regard I wish to draw the courts attention to the following matters;

a) The Particulars of Claim are vague and insufficient and do not disclose an adequate statement of facts relating to or proceeding the alleged cause of action. No particulars are offered in relation to the nature of the written agreement referred to, the method the claimant calculated any outstanding sums due, or any default notices issued or any Notice of Assignment required for the claimant to have a legitimate right of action for the purported debt or any other matters necessary to substantiate the claimant's claim.

b) A copy of the purported written agreement that the claimant cites in the Particulars of Claim, and which appears to form the basis upon which these proceedings have been brought, has not been served attached to the claim form.

c) A copy of any evidence of both the scope and nature of any default, and proof of any amount outstanding on the alleged accounts, has not been served attached to the claim form.

5. Consequently, I deny all allegations on the particulars of claim and do not know what case I have to meet

Request for Documents made under S78 Consumer Credit Act 1974

6. Prior top the start of this action, I requested that the claimant supply a true copy of the executed credit agreement pursuant to section 78 (1) Consumer Credit Act 1974.this request was made on xx/xx/2007 and under the Consumer Credit (Prescribed Periods for Giving Information) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1569) the period in which this must be supplied is 12 working days the claimant did not comply with this request and discharge their obligations under s78 (1) CCA 1974

7. Instead the claimant sent a blank credit agreement with no personal details on it which in no way discharge's the claimants responsibilities under s78 CCA 1974, there was no way in ascertaining that this agreement was indeed the one between the parties in this claim

8. Since the claimant has failed to supply a true copy of the executed agreement as defined within Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1557), in particular regulations 2 and 3 of the Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents regulations, it is averred that the claimant is not entitled to take this enforcement action under s78 (6) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 which states....

(6) If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)-

(a) He is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement; and

(b) If the default continues for one month he commits an offence.

9. Therefore it is suggested that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 would preclude the claimant from taking this legal action until they comply with the request made on xx/xx/2007 and disclose a compliant copy of the credit agreement under s78, merely sending a blank credit agreement does not discharge their obligations

Credit account

10. The account no xxxxxxxxxxxx referred to in the particulars of claim relates originally to a Next catalogue account and furthermore is classed as running-account credit as defined within section 10 (1) (a) Consumer Credit act 1974 which states inter alia

(a) running-account credit is a facility under a personal credit agreement whereby the debtor is enabled to receive from time to time (whether in his own person, or by another person) from the creditor or a third party cash, goods and services (or any of them) to an amount or value such that, taking into account payments made by or to the credit of the debtor, the credit limit (if any) is not at any time exceeded; and

11. Therefore, based upon the claimant's particulars of claim, the claimant would appear to be trying to circumvent the regulation of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 under which this account type is governed.

12. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 requires that where credit is provided by a creditor to a debtor, there must be an agreement between parties containing the prescribed terms as set out in section 60(1) of the consumer credit act 1974 and signed in the prescribed manner as laid out in section 61(1) (a) Consumer credit act 1974

13. Therefore for the claimant to have a legitimate right of action they must hold a credit agreement compliant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the regulations made under the Act and must be able to produce this before the court

14. The Claimant is therefore put to strict proof that such agreement exists and it is denied that this is outside of the scope of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

The Request for Disclosure under the CPR

15. Further to the case, on xx/xx/2007 I requested the disclosure of information pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules, which is vital to this case from the claimant. The information requested amounted to copies of the Credit Agreement between and any default or termination notices, a transcript of all transactions, including charges, fees, interest, alleged repayments by myself and payments made by the original creditor. Also any other documents the Claimant seeks to rely on, including any default notices or termination notice, and a copy of the Notice of Assignment required to give the claimant a legitimate right of action.

16. This request was sent by royal mail special delivery document number XXXXXXXXXX and was received by the claimant on xx/xx/2007

17. To Date the claimant has ignored my request under the CPR and I have not received any such documentation requested. As a result it has proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested, especially given that I am Litigant in Person

18. The claimants behaviour has been wholly unreasonable and has failed to enter into any meaningful negotiations despite them being aware of the issues surrounding the account and the fact that they have failed to disclose the requested information both under the Consumer Credit Act and the Civil Procedure Rules

Consequences of Non Disclosure of the agreement

19. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that the without disclosure of the requested documentation pursuant to the Civil Procedure Rules I have not yet had the opportunity to asses if the documentation the claimant claims to be relying upon to bring this action even contains the prescribed terms required in Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) which was amended by Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482). The prescribed terms referred to are contained in schedule 6 column 2 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and are inter alia: - A term stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit, A term stating the rate of any interest on the credit to be provided under the agreement and A term stating how the debtor is to discharge his obligations under the agreement to make the repayments, which may be expressed by reference to a combination of any of the following--

1. Number of repayments;

2. Amount of repayments;

3. Frequency and timing of repayments;

4. Dates of repayments;

5. The manner in which any of the above may be determined; or in any other way, and any power of the creditor to vary what is payable)

20. The courts attention is drawn to the fact that where an agreement does not have the prescribed terms as stated in point 19 it is not compliant with section 60(1) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and therefore not enforceable by s127 (3). The courts attention is also drawn to the authority of the House of Lords in Wilson-v- FCT [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) which confirms that where a document does not contain the required terms under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1553) and Consumer Credit (Agreements) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI2004/1482) the agreement cannot be enforced

21. With regards to the Authority cited in point 15, I refer to LORD NICHOLLS OF BIRKENHEAD in the House of Lords Wilson v First County Trust Ltd - [2003] All ER (D) 187 (Jul) paragraph 29

" The court's powers under section 127(1) are subject to significant qualification in two types of cases. The first type is where section 61(1)(a), regarding signing of agreements, is not complied with. In such cases the court 'shall not make' an enforcement order unless a document, whether or not in the prescribed form, containing all the prescribed terms, was signed by the debtor: section 127(3). Thus, signature of a document containing all the prescribed terms is an essential prerequisite to the court's power to make an enforcement order."

The default notice

22. Furthermore, since the account referred to in the particulars of claim is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974, for a right to pursue action to exist; there are procedures, which must be followed under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. A default notice must be issued under s87 (1) conforming to the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) which sets out the form and content which default notices must include, without such notice being issued the claimant would not have such right to demand any monies

23. It is neither admitted or denied that any Default Notice in the prescribed format was ever received and the Defendant puts the Claimant to strict proof that said document in the prescribed format was delivered to the defendant

24. Notwithstanding point 23, I put the claimant to strict proof that any default notice sent to me was valid. I note that to be valid, a default notice needs to be accurate in terms of both the scope and nature of breach and include an accurate figure required to remedy any such breach. The prescribed format for such document is laid down in Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) Regulations 1983 (SI 1983/1561) and Amendment regulations the Consumer Credit (Enforcement, Default and Termination Notices) (Amendment) Regulations 2004 (SI 2004/3237)

25. Failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but give me a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

Conclusion

26. In view of the matters pleaded above, I respectfully request that the court gives consideration to whether the claimant's statement of case should be struck out as disclosing no reasonable grounds for bringing the claim, and/or that it fails to comply with CPR Part 16.

27. In addition, if the claimant cannot produce a credit agreement in the prescribed form signed in the prescribed manner by debtor and creditor, the court is precluded from making an enforcement order under s127 (3) Consumer Credit Act 1974 and it is requested that the court use its powers under section 142 Consumer Credit Act 1974 to declare the debt unenforceable and strike out the claimants case accordingly

28. Having instigated these proceedings without any legal basis for doing so, having failed to provide sufficient information required under the pre-trial protocols in order to investigate this claim, or indeed to provide a reasonable time period to investigate this matter, and having failed to investigate a dispute as required by the OFT Debt collection Guidelines I believe the Claimant's conduct amounts to unlawful harassment under section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970. Furthermore, the Claimant's behaviour is entirely vexatious and wholly unreasonable.

29. Should the court not consider it appropriate to strike out the claimant case, the defendant respectfully asks the permission of the court to amend this defence when the above documents are provided by the claimant

30. In addition it is drawn to the courts attention that schedule 3, s11 of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 prevents s15 repealing s127 (3) of the 1974 Act for agreements made before s15 came into effect since the agreement is alleged to have commenced before April 2007, the Consumer Credit Act 1974 is the relevant act in this case should it be suggested that the account would be regulated by the 2006 Act at any time herein

Statement of Truth

I xxxxxxxxxxxx, believe the above statement to be true and factual to the best of my knowledge

Signed .....................

Date

Hi Malaga1,

this is what ive come up with, have a read through and let me know if there are any questions.i may have to make a few alterations but im not sure as it stands

when does it need to be with the court?

regards

paul

Paul, thank you for doing that for me.It looks great! It has to be in by 9th Jan so I have plenty of time. Will let you know how I get on. Im going away for a few days for xmas so Ill get it sent off after. Merry Christmas to you. Malaga.

• 1 month later...

I have today had Notification of Trial Date! In the Brighton County Court on 14th April. This Claim is allocated to the Small Claims Track and parties are referred to Part 27 of the Civil Procedures Rules and the Practice Direction of that Part for guidance on how the hearing will be conducted. It is estimated the hearing will take one and a half hours! etc.etc. I really cant see how the judge has ignored everything regarding NO CCA!

PART 27 - THE SMALL CLAIMS TRACK right then heres the part 27 of the CPR,

i will have to refresh my self on your case, im sure you will appreciate that i deal with so many cases that its easy to forget whose case is what etc

so i will have a good look over and see what we do from here

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Malaga,

Just been catching up with your thread and have realised we're both in the Brighton court! Do you think Next has something against Brighton...?

My court date has been amended to the 14th of March and I'm in the process of organising my court papers.

To be honest I'm feeling quite nervous about the impending court case and as your at the same stage as me perhaps we should coordinate our research?

Two heads are better than one and all that!

p.s. Noticed you referred to me as 'his' so probably good time to point out I'm a girl!

Sorry about that Nas!!! Yes when I saw you were in Brighton too I wondered if maybe the judges here are just ignoring everything regarding no CCA. I cant believe it is going this far. My date is 14th april so I have not done anything yet re court.I dont believe Next know a lot about whats going on. I think its more down to Howard Cohen trying it on. Hopefully it will get thrown out! Malaga

Hi all,

just a bit of info for you,

ive seen in a few cases now the other side try to convince the judge that the credit comes under the CCA 2006, IT DOES NOT, however if this gets argued in your cases, produce this Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14) - Statute Law Database

section 11 points out that the new CCA has no effect on agreements made before 6th April 2007

regards

paul

• 3 weeks later...