• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Connought, 1st Credit, Citifinancial

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5914 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:p Hi there. I've just joined the forum and have to say it's so reasuring to find i'm not alone with my situation. I've already learnt quite alot in only a few hours. If i can just tell you a little about my story perhaps someone will be able to help ( i'll try not to go around the houses ) This morning a statutory demand dropped through my door from Connought collections demanding that if i dont pay up the sum of £ xxxx.xx within 21 days i could be made bankrupt and my property and goods taken from me :( . Ok i did indeed take out an unsecured loan with CITIFINANCIAL for considerably less than what is being demanded. I fell into difficulty and consequentially fell behind with payments. I am assuming the debt was sold to 1ST CREDIT as this is who CONNOUGHT are quoting as the creditors. I have had correspondence from 1ST CREDIT but stupidly ignored their demands. My stomach completly fell through the floor this morning when i received the letter. I'm not really sure what the hell to do ! The general idea from the forum seems to be to send a letter requesting a copy of the credit aggreement. What happens after this ? I dont want to make them annoyed enough that they go ahead with banckrupcy. I have my house to think of. I'm not disputing i borrowed money and it is only fair it;s payed back. But, times have hit me hard and need to know the best way to go about getting this resolved.

Also i have got my credit report online and was astonished to see a default from CITIFINANCIAL for £xxxx.xx and also a default from 1ST CREDIT for £xxxx.xx and therefore my report says i have 2 default for the amount of £xxxx.xx when in actual fact it should be 1 for £xxxx.xx. I cant beleive they can do this. Surely they arnt allowed to do it. Or are they ? Can anyone help me on this or has anyone had a similar situation ??

Many many thanks to you all x

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi DD and welcome to CAG,

It seems to be connaughts latest threat sending SD's to debtors, have a read here from someone who had one yesterday, and I am moving you hread to general debt.

Any questions please ask, and could you possibly scan your letter here (removing any personal details) so it can be checked for authencity.

Best wishes

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Hi Gizmo. Thanks for that. Unfortunatly i can't scan the document. I have tried to take some pictures but arnt turning out very well. I will try to tell you as much as i can.

First - The letter was sent through normal royal mail and posted through my letter box. I did not sign for it nor was it hand delivered. On the document it's dated 1st August. On the post mark it says 3rd August and i did'nt receive it until 10th August (last Friday ).

Front page - Title- Statutory Demand under section 268 (1) (a) of the insolvency Act 1986. Debt for liquidated sum payable immediately. (The left hand corner has a blue triangle.

Demand - to myself (inc address ). This demand is served on you by the creditor: Name 1st Credit ( finance Limited ) ( inc address )

The creditor claims that you owe the sum of £4205.78, full particulars of which are set on page 2, and that it is payable immediatly and, to the extent of the sum demanded, is unsecured.

The creditor demands that you pay the above debt or secure or compound for it to the creditors satisfaction. Ref No and phone No inc.

Page 2 - A The debt was incured by monies due under financial agreement. The debtor is in breach of the repayment terms and has failed to adhere to the terms and conditions of the repayment arrangements.

B - The debt is in respect ofoutstanding monies owed to the creditor by the debtor for non-payment of a citifinancial agreement. The benefit of the debt having been assigned under an agreement to 1st credit ltd 9/5/2007.

Page 3 - Tells me about presenting my own bankruptcy petition and tells me the appropriate court is ( YOUR LOCAL COUNTY COURT, OR COMBINED COURT ) and that an application to set aside the demand should be made to that court. It suggests that if i want to know which court this is then i should contact them for this info.

It then goes on to say who i should speak to with phone No and Address and ref No.

Original creditor Citifinancial. Assignees 1st Credit LTD.

Page 4 tells me what i should do to avoid bankruptcy.

Sorry to go around the houses but i think thats everything.

Do you think i should just make an offer to pay monthly. The last thing i want is for this to backfire on me. Getting pretty desperate now. Time running out. Many many thanks to anyone who can help. x

Good day, I have a few questions.

1) Are you in mortgaged or rented accomodation?

2) How was the Statutory Demand served on you? Was it delivered by hand or via the royal mail? If it was posted, was it sent 2nd class?

3) Do you dispute the debt? Have you sent a CCA request yet? (If you haven't, do it now!)

4) Have 1st Credit or Connaught Collections attempted any collection acticity or visits prior to issuing the demand?

Good day, I have a few questions.

1) Are you in mortgaged or rented accomodation?

2) How was the Statutory Demand served on you? Was it delivered by hand or via the royal mail? If it was posted, was it sent 2nd class?

3) Do you dispute the debt? Have you sent a CCA request yet? (If you haven't, do it now!)

4) Have 1st Credit or Connaught Collections attempted any collection acticity or visits prior to issuing the demand?

Hi Sequenci. Yes i do have a mortgage. The demand was deleivered by royal mail 2nd class. I dont dispute the debt but was originally from citifinancial. I have had letters from 1st credit and 1 from connought. There hasnt been any visits that i am aware of. Thanks for the help.

National debtline. No havnt sent it. I'm too scared that they would just pursue this anyway thats why thinking of making monthly offer. Can they still persue bankruptcy notice if i send off CCA or does that give me some time. I'm not saying i;m not go to pay this coz at the end of the day i did have the loan i just want to do everything possible to avoid loosing my house. thanks.

Dobbydog

As far as the default goes - you are quite right that the default can only be registered once, but it often happens that two appear in such circumstances. There is of course no excuse but creditors often don't bother doing things properly. I'd suggest you query the duplicate entry via the credit reference agency - they should be able to get one of them taken off.

As far as the comments about credit agreements go, if you have admitted to Connaught or 1st Credit that you owe some money that route is of limited value, but still worthing trying.

Dobbydog

As far as the default goes - you are quite right that the default can only be registered once, but it often happens that two appear in such circumstances. There is of course no excuse but creditors often don't bother doing things properly. I'd suggest you query the duplicate entry via the credit reference agency - they should be able to get one of them taken off.

As far as the comments about credit agreements go, if you have admitted to Connaught or 1st Credit that you owe some money that route is of limited value, but still worthing trying.

Hi Paul. Thanks. I havnt yet admitted anything to anybody. Although i have had letters from them i havnt corresponded to any of them.

Hi

I'm not an expert on bankruptcy or statutory demands, but I'm sure I read somewhere that any loan regulated under the CCA74 can only be enforced through the county court system.

They must at least get a CCJ to 'prove' the debt.

I may be wrong and I'm afraid I can't recall where I read this.

Regards

Lantana

Hi, I have a thread with Connaught and 1st Credit, they were the cowboys that got me introduced to this forum. So I should be thankful to Connaught for something.

Any way check out my thread, (sorry don't know how to post it)

I sent Connaught Collections a CCA request recorded delivery and they ran a mile, sent back my postal order as they were legible to collect the debt, and past it back to 1st Credit. I have heard nothing from 1st Credit yet, So you need to send them a cca request, They 12+2 working days to respond, with your agreement, chances are they will not have it anyway

Hi

I'm not an expert on bankruptcy or statutory demands, but I'm sure I read somewhere that any loan regulated under the CCA74 can only be enforced through the county court system.

that's true, they cannot be transfered to the high court for enforcement of money judgments. bankruptcy is a county court process and bankruptcy proceedings would be possible. get that CCA off pronto.

Hi, I have a thread with Connaught and 1st Credit, they were the cowboys that got me introduced to this forum. So I should be thankful to Connaught for something.

Any way check out my thread, (sorry don't know how to post it)

I sent Connaught Collections a CCA request recorded delivery and they ran a mile, sent back my postal order as they were legible to collect the debt, and past it back to 1st Credit. I have heard nothing from 1st Credit yet, So you need to send them a cca request, They 12+2 working days to respond, with your agreement, chances are they will not have it anyway

Thankyou very much i'm def going to get the CCA off first thing. Can i ask did you also have a stat demand off them. God i hope this doe'nt back fire on me. x

Dobbydog, there are a ton of threads here concerning this company's overuse of stat demands.

So far, they have run a mile when a CCA request is sent to them to prove that they have the legal right to collect on a debt.

So please, get the CCA in the post FIRST thing tomorrow.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

For me personally, I didn't pay connaught collections anything as the first communication I had from them was a stat demand, I panicked my hubby found this forum I read & read & read, sent out the cca request and my postal order returned within a week and my account with them closed and passed back to 1st credit. who I have not heard from either, and as soon as I hear from 1st credit I will send them a cca rquest and start the whole procedure again. At first it is really scary then you just get mad, about the way these companies think they can bully and be nasty and intimidate people to pay more than they can, and BLOW you find out they dont even own your debt, and shouldn't be chasing you for the money anyway, well that gets my goat. I didn't sign my cca request I put my name in block capitals, so they did not have my signature, and believe it or not they will mess about with paperwork etc, becuase I have had that done as well, bt they have to got to be cleverer than that, if I get scared I just type it all in here, and the replies are brilliant and reasurring (thanks cb), it won't back fire if anything it has now given you 12+2 days at least, but I bet you will be suprised. Good luck will follow your thread

Dobbydog, there are a ton of threads here concerning this company's overuse of stat demands.

So far, they have run a mile when a CCA request is sent to them to prove that they have the legal right to collect on a debt.

So please, get the CCA in the post FIRST thing tomorrow.

Thankyou CB. I'll do that. Fingers crossed. x

For me personally, I didn't pay connaught collections anything as the first communication I had from them was a stat demand, I panicked my hubby found this forum I read & read & read, sent out the cca request and my postal order returned within a week and my account with them closed and passed back to 1st credit. who I have not heard from either, and as soon as I hear from 1st credit I will send them a cca rquest and start the whole procedure again. At first it is really scary then you just get mad, about the way these companies think they can bully and be nasty and intimidate people to pay more than they can, and BLOW you find out they dont even own your debt, and shouldn't be chasing you for the money anyway, well that gets my goat. I didn't sign my cca request I put my name in block capitals, so they did not have my signature, and believe it or not they will mess about with paperwork etc, becuase I have had that done as well, bt they have to got to be cleverer than that, if I get scared I just type it all in here, and the replies are brilliant and reasurring (thanks cb), it won't back fire if anything it has now given you 12+2 days at least, but I bet you will be suprised. Good luck will follow your thread

Thankyou so much. I'ts so reassuring to find other people in my situation (not that i'd wish this on anybody !) I'm gunna get that cca sent first thing. fingers crossed x am also gunna watch your thread for news and good luck to you too !

Thankyou so much. Its so reassuring to find so many people in my position (not that i'd wish this on anyone ) I will get the cca sent first thing. Fingers crossed. I'll be watching your thread closely with interest. x

My theory now is 1st credit probably wont have a cca, if they had got one, why didn't they act on it, instead of selling it on. Two months ago I wouldn't have even thought like that, I have got myself into a horrible mess, was receiving loads a letters each week, hid them from the other half, had sleepless nights over this, and now (I am not proud of my situation) but I work too hard to pay some cowboy who has got my details illegally and should not be chasing for payment. Now I get dissapointed when I don't get any post