Data Protection Act Question

joe1965

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The council homes in our area have been taken over by a housing association.

Would the council need the tenants permission to pass data about them on to the housing association as they would be a third party?

If anyone could give me an answer it could effect how the tenants are being treated by the housing assiciation.

hi there, might be good to speak to citizens advice if you dont get replys here,but as its the council (law to themselves)and the housing association have taken over and have a direct interest (i hope direct is the correct terminoligy) in the day to day running etc etc, they in my opinion as they have a legal interest in the above would qualify access to the personal information of the tennants,otherwise say in the case of a property sold with a sitting tennant,refusal of said information would possibly obstruct change of ownership of a property! has the association brought the propertys ? or are they just managing on behalf of the council? all these factors could possibly be relevent, but this is only my opinion and i might be wrong,but i recon that the supply of the details of the tennants in this case was probably normal practice, but if they are being awkward or underhand in any-way as a landlord (1 flat ) myself i know that tennants have many rights and i would recommend a bit of research which might possibly assist your situation !! jezzy

R.B.S Mastercard £7,189.00 written off default removed

NatWest Goldcard

Natwest business account

Natwest joint personal

B&Q Trade account

Debenhams store card

leeds mortgage

Nationwide

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IF YOU HAVE FOUND MY ADVICE HELPFULL PLEASE CLICK ON MY SCALES, ALL ADVICE IS GIVEN IN GOOD FAITH AND IS MY OPINION ONLY

Ownership was passed over to the housing association though it was mainly in name only as the same people run it.

But there must be a limit to the amount of information they can pass across. The HA is a third party to it and they must need a tenants permission to get it from the council?

• 1 month later...

Our Housing Assoc. demanded 2 forms of primary ID from each of the tenants - some of whom were secure and had not been contacted by the HA for over 20 years! If you dind't bother you got a notice to seek posession. Now having got all kinds of date from us they sell the info to marketing companies. We know this because of the jointly addressed mail that comes to us. We only happen to flat share and have our own lives, so our names do not appear together anywhere else. I think its really troubling that they are profiting from us in this way.

The first requirement is reasonable, as having taken over for the council, they are cleaning the database to ensure that the people are who they say they are. However, once they have this data they cannot do what they want with it. If the marketing mail is from an organisation who has no connection with the HA, a breach has taken place. Confirm with the firm that sent the mailing where they got your details from, and base your response to this.