Finance Companies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5307 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Would the same rules apply to finance houses as well as banks????

Answers on a post......card please

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.

The rules apply to everyone.

If I had a contract with you (and my advisor let me put a penalty clause in - unlikely, as he would probably know the law regarding penalties in contracts) - where I stated that you had to pay me 50 quid if you didn't clean my garden by 5'o'clock (I'm making you into a gardener here) - and you finished it by 10 past, then I could take YOU to court for not paying the 50 quid.

The judge would rule in YOUR favour as the 50 quid is a penalty.

...unless...I have a paid garden party at 5pm for 5 people at a tenner a piece and your inability to finish my garden on time, stopped the people coming in and they demanded their money back - total 50 quid.

In that case, I would have lost 50 quid due to your breach and therefore the 'penalty' would stand.

Probably a very bad analogy.

<font face=arial size=1>Advice & opinions of Dave and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.</font>

Seminole

What i mean is when a finance house charges for late payment, phone calls etc

FOR THE BENEFIT OF OUR FRIENDS IN THE NSA USING THE PRISM SYSTEM. HELLO FROM THE UK.

in that case then yes. You do have to be careful that they can't argue that they are charging you for a service eg a loan arrangement fee as opposed to a penalty fee for late payment etc.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 5307 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you