Lowell Financial acting illegally?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5021 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My mother-in-law had a JJB card account which was passed to Lowell Financial. She owed £608.23 and set up an agreement to pay them £50 per month, and gave them her bank details to clear the initial £8.23 and pay by the monthly £50.

Previously herself and her husband had seperate accounts with JJB. Her husbands account was kept in order anbd paid off in full.

Her husband and her have a joint bank account and her husband discovered today that they've taken the £8.23 without authorisation. She has not given them these details so presumably they had them on file from her husband's previous JJB account.

She authorised them to take moneys from her personal account, and not the joint account. Presumably they have acted illegally. What do you recommend is the best course of action to take? Trading standards and report to the Info Commissioners?

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

Her husband should go to the bank and dispute the transaction. The bank will request that Lowell evidence that they had authority. They will claim that you mother gave them authority. The bank will come back and say that. You're responce needs to be the above - i.e. that authorisation was only granted for a debit of the £8.23 from the personal account.

The bank should be the first port of call.

My mother-in-law had a JJB card account which was passed to Lowell Financial. She owed £608.23 and set up an agreement to pay them £50 per month, and gave them her bank details to clear the initial £8.23 and pay by the monthly £50.

So there was actually authorisation to take the 8.23

Previously herself and her husband had seperate accounts with JJB. Her husbands account was kept in order anb paid off in full.

This is obviously not in dispute..

Her husband and her have a joint bank account and her husband discovered today that they've taken the £8.23 without authorisation. She has not given them these details so presumably they had them on file from her husband's previous JJB account.

This would seem to be a bank error rather than Lowell skulduggery, Lowell would only be given the details which related to the outstanding account.

She authorised them to take moneys from her personal account, and not the joint account. Presumably they have acted illegally. What do you recommend is the best course of action to take? Trading standards and report to the Info Commissioners?

Again sounding more like a genuine set of circumstances rather than underhand tactics as there was authorisation to take the amount in the first place.

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

Certainly seems like the bank that need questioning to me.

Regards, Dave.

If my post was helpful don't forget to click the star!

Advice is offered freely, without liability and without prejudice.

If in any doubt professional legal advice should be sought.

I do not profess to be in any way legally trained, I am a big

oily truck driver and all I know has been learned within the

Consumer Action Group.

FAQ's

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Trying to stop smoking?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/give-up-smoking-here/

A dummies guide to the forums

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

--

KEEP WILDLIFE IN THE WILD

http://www.bornfree.org.uk

BORN FREE FOUNDATION

--