• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Summary of Charges..attachment to letter??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6511 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Firstly can I just say this forum is amazing. A huge thank you for all your advice and helpful information I have recieved from just reading over this forum! Many thanks and well done!

I just have one quick question, hopefully someone can help me with, I have recieved my statements for the past five years and have come to a total of £2,451 charges and £73.46 interest that they took.

I have prepared the letter and am going to send out today to the BoS, my question is, the summary of charges that you attach to the back of the letter...is there a template for it, or is it basically just = 'date - charge amount' or does it need to be more specific like 'failed DD' etc etc!

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Roxanne

BoS - £2536.00 - 1st Letter sent 20/06/06

BoS - Standard reply received 24/06/06

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

BoS - Reply received offering £400 6/07/06 (Refused)

BoS - Offer upped to £1,200 via telephone 7/7/06 (Refused)

BoS - Court Action Raised 10/07/06

Store Card - £87.56

1st Letter sent - 24/06/06

Reply Received with full repayment of charges! - 04/07/06

Guest Lueeze

I just did an excel sheet with

type

amount

date

That should be enough inforamtion for them, its just to cover ourseves as we have had defenses from the banks saying they have not been told what charges we are claiming to try to be awkward.

Good Luck

Lou x

Hi Lou,

Nice to meet/speak to you and many thanks for your quick response!

The BoS has just supplied me with my entire statements for the past five years..all it says is 'Charges as notified', it doesn't go into detail as to if its a failed cheque, DD etc..do you think will be a problem?

Thanks again for all your help!

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

'Charges as notified' Is the £28 charge at the end of the next month after the original charge (prob £39) took you over your overdraft limit.

so count them in and good luck :)

The BoS has just supplied me with my entire statements for the past five years..all it says is 'Charges as notified', it doesn't go into detail as to if its a failed cheque, DD etc..do you think will be a problem?

Thanks again for all your help!

Roxy x

In response to my DPA request I had a combination of statements and a computer print out. On the print out it did specify what each charge was for, but, like you, on the statements it had 'charges as notified', so unless you have kept all those nice letters from Gary Kettle that cost £30 a time (lol), you can just put 'charge' in your spread sheet. Worked for me...but still waiting for my 8% statutary interest...two days to court !

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

Thanks everyone!

I cant express how much this site is helping me, its amazing reading some of the threads here! Well done to everyone!

Thank you for the info regarding what to put in my summary! Will get started on that right now!

On the interest issue...on my summary of charges, should I add in a column that totals the amount of 'Interested Debited' (for going over my overdraft) or should I just add up the charges just now and the interest comes in later???

On a side note..sadly I've not saved all Gary Kettle's letters (hehe) when they arrived they swiftly got ripped into a pile of tiny bits with lots of angry shouting!

Many thanks again,

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

Hi everyone,

Sorry to be a pain! Just been looking through the FAQ and am still a little bit confused on one section...

Do I charge the overdraft intrest back now (with the first letter with the summary of charges attached) or do I wait...If I do charge it back now, do I add another column into the summary stating the monthly interest amount charged?

Sorry to be a pest am just really keen to get this letter out today! :-)

Thanks for your help!!

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

Hi Roxanne, you only add the interest if you're going to court.

BOS Prelim : 19/06/06 Owed : £382: offered £90.LBA sent 02/07/06, Delivered: 04/07/06. Offer increased to full £382 but with condition. Settled 4/11/06.

Data Protection Act sent to BOS CC : 19/06/06. Acknowledged : 03/07/06 Statements Received : 11/07/06 owed £845

Statements received for closed BOS account: 27/07/06, Owed £2596.52

First claim on closed BOS account now started - £735 Prelim received 7/11/06 LBA sent 5/12/06, Offered Full £735 but with conditions. Claim filed 22/01/07

CapitalOne-£1247, settled in full.

LloydsTSB- £910, sttled in full.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Ah brilliant! Thanks for your reponse your a star!

I'm going to send this letter off today and as it says in your signature strip (hope you don't mind me quoting!) LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE! hehe.

Many thanks again,

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

You're welcome, keep us posted.

BOS Prelim : 19/06/06 Owed : £382: offered £90.LBA sent 02/07/06, Delivered: 04/07/06. Offer increased to full £382 but with condition. Settled 4/11/06.

Data Protection Act sent to BOS CC : 19/06/06. Acknowledged : 03/07/06 Statements Received : 11/07/06 owed £845

Statements received for closed BOS account: 27/07/06, Owed £2596.52

First claim on closed BOS account now started - £735 Prelim received 7/11/06 LBA sent 5/12/06, Offered Full £735 but with conditions. Claim filed 22/01/07

CapitalOne-£1247, settled in full.

LloydsTSB- £910, sttled in full.

LET BATTLE COMMENCE

Roxy,

Without wishing to make things any more complicated than they already are, I'm afraid wsm36 is mistaken.

If the interest you've incurred is a result of the charges BoS has unlawfully levied then you can ask for it back now. If you fill in the columns on the right-hand side of Vamp's spreadsheet - you'll find it in the bank templates libary - then this will do all the maths for you.

wsm36 is, I think, getting confused with the statutory 8 per cent interest charge which you can add to your claim should it get as far as the court stage.

Vamp's spreadsheet will also calculate this for you.

Hope this is of some help?! ;-)

Fred_Funk

NatWest: seeking unlawful charges + interest incurred as a result of those charges of £4,292.82 and contractual interest (compounded) of £4,559.41. Court claim issued 16.01.08; acknowledgement of service filled by Cobbetts on 30.01.08

Hi Fred_Funk,

Ahhhh, see this is where I was a little confused too...I did notice on the standard letter (which is ace! Many thanks again for that!!!), is does say

"I calculate that you have taken £XXXX plus £XXX which you have charged me in overdraft interest for the sum which you have taken. Total £XXXXX."

This is where I got a little confused, I went through my statements and noticed that all together, they had charged me £73.46 in Overdraft interest, that they charged me for going over my interest! I was unsure whether I would be able to claim this back as in the FAQ it does make note that they are providing a service and therefore are allowed to charge for it...then again, I may have read that wrong!!

I sent my letter of last night for £2,536.00 though...

I have also used Vamp's spreadsheet to calculate the interest if this does go to court..so just so to clear my mind...if we do go to court/they are summond, that is when I can add on the 8% interest to each charge (as per the spreadsheet) and the new total will be the amount I am claiming for?

There was one more little thing that has been pestering me...I have been reading here that in a small claims court, the total you can claim for is £750, and I also read in the FAQ that that doesn't include the interest and my costs...so due to the fact my claim is £2,536, will I need to break it down into four claims each with their own amount of interest and my costs added?

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions! I've printed off an entire lever arch folder full of info from here and various linked sites to read up on but I think my brain is having an overload, hehe!

Many thanks again for all your help!

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

Thanks very much! I've ran a search and found lots of interesting information!!

On a side note, after a discussion I had about this, what is everyones opinions on the fact that some of us are due thousands of pounds over five years...surely there was be case for some sort of compensation for the lifestyle adjustments we have had to make and I know myself for one, the amount of emotional distress that this has caused us over the years?

I mean, I had to borrow money just to clear my account back to zero!!! The amount of times that I've not been able to eat at work or had to walk home from work due to the bank swallowing my money in charges just days after being paid!!!

Also the amount of times I was on phone in tears to the bank asking them how they expected me to live, thinking back to it now I get so angry.

Has anyone every tried to go for personal distress damages or anything similar?

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56

Hey

I think we have been in the same situ regarding the banks raping us. I for one have been caused loads of emotional distress , weather it be through being unable to eat for days until I borrowed some money because the bank took £218.00 in charges in one month. I would love to take them for emotional distress.......hehehehee a good £20,000 for hurt feelings and the humiliation of begging crying and pleading to a bank cashier to return my charges.

Now thats an idea !!:wink:

Dear Roxy

Couldn't help laughing! Lots of angry shouting and ripping of paper-not to mention lots of broken china!- sounds so familiar.

:idea: :) ps who's Gary? I assume he doesn't have a fan club-maybe we could start one. The Gary Kettle club or something. Here's an idea from work from years ago. What about the "Kettle Chips Award" for the 'best' letter received from a bank each week.:idea:

Dear Roxy

Couldn't help laughing! Lots of angry shouting and ripping of paper-not to mention lots of broken china!- sounds so familiar.

:idea: :) ps who's Gary? I assume he doesn't have a fan club-maybe we could start one. The Gary Kettle club or something. Here's an idea from work from years ago. What about the "Kettle Chips Award" for the 'best' letter received from a bank each week.:idea:

you havent had a letter from Gary? so who signs your letters telling you the bank have paid something you didint have enough money for and are now going to take £xx for being so thoughtful?

I love the idea of the 'Kettle awards' :-)

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

Hehe, yeah, that sounds like a good idea!

I tell you, he must have a really sore hand after signing all our letters!!

Roxy x

BoS - LBA sent 24/06/06

Store Card - £87.56