Student Loans Problem

studentloansgrrr

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5162 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My boyfriend is in regarding his student loan. He has a pre-1998 loan and closed his bank account after graduating without realising that there was a standing order set up to the student loans company. He also moved address and didn't tell them, so hasn't received any correspondance.

We received a letter from a debt collection agency called DLC the other week the other week who said that they want him to pay over £5000 for his loan within a year, plus over £100 to the student loans company each month.

He has called the student loans company to try to deal with them direct, but they refuse to deal with him. Then the other day he was contacted by CapQuest to say they wanted his student loan with the same amount to be paid as above.

He has been sent a deferment form, but apparently because he earns over £2000 a month he can't do this. We are relocating at the end of the month, when he will be unemployed. Apparently the deferment is based on your previous three months wages, which he won't be earning in a months time.

We have tried to speak to SLC, CAB and national debt helpline, but have been getting mixed advice. We really don't know what to do. We want to pay the debt, but cannot afford over £600 per month! Also, we have no breakdown of what he owes, which we would like before paying anything! In the meantime, CapQuest are hassling us for the money

Please help!

when was the first payment on the loan due / when did your boyfriend stop paying?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

he hasn't actually paid anything yet. He graduated in 2002. He has just had a phone call from CapQuest saying that if we don't pay £500 today they are taking us to court. Today is the first day that he has actually spoken to them, as last week we were dealing with DLC.

What part of the country does he live in(e.g. scotland, england) ?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am getting really worried now and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice or know what will happen when CapQuest take us to court, or if the Student Loans Company can really wipe their hands of the debt? There is now way we could afford over £600 a month in our current circumstances. I am really worried that CapQuest is going to come round to our house and start taking our stuff

I am getting really worried now and don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice or know what will happen when CapQuest take us to court, or if the Student Loans Company can really wipe their hands of the debt? There is now way we could afford over £600 a month in our current circumstances. I am really worried that CapQuest is going to come round to our house and start taking our stuff

OK, I wouldn't worry too much... the court will never charge you more than you can afford...

first piece of advice is to S.A.R. the student loan company... find out exactly what he owes.

Second advice is to write a statement of affairs... noting what you are going to earn next month, include all income / expenditures, and debts.

I would syggest going to the student forum and asking there... http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/students/