Is this fraud?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just recieved a letter from citi cards, CitiFinancial Europe plc, which claims they have tried previously to contact me regarding my account, and have now handed my account over to a debt collection agency.

The thing is: I have never had an account with citifinancial, and have no idea what this is about.

In the same envelop there is a letter, headed "Direct Legal & Collections" which says I have recently received a Default Notice from Citifinancial, and my account has been transferred to Hillesden Securities Ltd.

It says my account balance is £795, with arreas £272 to be paid immediately.

This is all very puzzling.

What should I do?

Yes it is correctly addressed to me, with my name on it.

No, I've had no other communications.

I assume citi card/citifinancial are a credit card company, but I've never owned a credit card. I had a NatWest bank account over a decade ago, with which I had a Switch debit card, and I now have a cooperative bank account, but no credit card.

I live with my parents, in their house, and worry that if this escalates and they start sending the bailiffs round, it'll cause trouble for my parents. What legal authorities should I contact to get this sorted out?

Who do I contact - citi financial, direct legal, or hillesden Sec - to find out what this alleged debt refers to? What should I put in the letter?

Well it certainly sounds like a case of Ident Fraud.

Now I don't know how to go from here, but there is a whole board for ID theft.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/identity-theft/

Hopefully there will be something useful posted there for you.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Thanks. To add to this, I've just this minute had a call from DLC, and the man I spoke to asked for my date of birth, and previous address.

These details didn't seem to match the data he had, and I said that I disputed this debt and that I'd never heard of Citifinanical.

He seemed quite reasonable, and said that he was planning to investigate this with his trace department.

I'm not planning to take him at face value, though, just in case.

I'm off to check out that identity theft board now.

I've taken a stab at writing a letter to them. Does this look okay?

================

On Saturday, 4th of August, I received a letter informing me of a Default Notice against me from Citifinancial Europe plc, and that Direct Legal & Collections (henceforth referred to as DLC) would be pursuing me for a debt of £795.

I dispute this debt. I have never heard of citifinancial, and have never had an account with them.

On the same date, at roughly 10 AM, I was contacted by phone by a representative of DLC with regard to this alleged debt. He identified himself as David. He asked for my birth date, address, and former address, to be sure he was speaking to the right person. I disputed the debt, and he admitted the details I gave him didn’t match up to the records he was checking, and that I may not be the person who is connected to this debt (a fact I know to be true). David told me that he would contact the company’s trace department to get to the bottom of this.

I would like your company to confirm in writing that an error has been made, and that you will not be pursuing me for this alleged debt.

============================

Try adapting the letter below if you like. I got it off this site and adapted it for my own use.

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (Debtor).

I am familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.