• Tweets

• Participants can get £50 - but must permanently consent to the retailer using their personal data.View the full article
    • Documents arrived today dated 27th March.  This is a cc taken out a long time ago (2008) and they don't seem to have been able to provide a copy of a CCA agreement, just reams of print outs of lines of texts from old bank statements, default notices etc.   
    • Documents finally arrived today from PRA group.  New day have sent me lots of paperwork, copies of default letters and statements, print out of what looks like a CCA that would have been completed on online, IP address as signature.  This debt is not too old, so possible this is the true copy of agreement ?  Not sure what my defence would be beyond irresponsible lending. 
    • pers i wouldn't.. all you need to know is in the posts of that thread....that being section 127(3) of the CCA refers. if under a CCA return, the 'creditor' claims its a recon, it must not contain any details like a sig, tickbox, or typed name (whether you signed physically or by online tickbox) 1. those are not necessary in a recon, so why inc them? (faked??) 2, it cant thus be a recon!!, it must be a copy of the 'original' from the original creditor, not from a debt buyers filing cabinet. they shouldn't not be 'mixing' some original docs from the OC with crap from their filing cabinet, claiming its ALL a recon! because some of it is faked. just remember there are far more docs like NOA and a DN that are as equally important to a court claim of 'this debt is enforceable'. never rely solely upon the dodgy agreement argument.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Nolan v Lloyds TSB - **WON post OFT v Banks**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Sorry if i sound stupid but can i just check that i have done everything right.

(1) I started a claim online against Lloyds TSB and received a notice of Issue. This informed me that my claim was issued on the 24/4/07. The issue was deemed served to Lloyds on the 29/4/07 and that they have until the 13/5/07 to acknowledge.

(2) At the beginning of this week i received a notice that acknowledgment of service has been filed. Attached to it is a copy. The "I intend to defend in full this claim" has been ticked.

Is this just for my info or should i be now doing something? I am aware that if Lloyds don't put up a defense within 28 dyas from the date of service i can apply for judgement. Since i have started the claim i have not sent anything else to the courts or Lloyds. Is this correct?

I sent Lloyds a list which showed the date i received a charge and how much it was for along with the interest. I sent them this before i started a claim online. Do i have to sent this again but durectly to the solicitors? Do i have to send them anything else?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi LF,

Sounds like you've done everything correctly. Now you wait for their defence. If they dont meet the deadline, give them an extra 5 days or so before entering judgement. This is what I did with NatWest and I got a cheque yesterday. However, where this can go wrong is when they make an application for judgement to be set aside, which delays things quite considerably.

All the best,

Paul

Hi

Have a read of this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/71369-getting-mcol-right.html#post614610

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

Hi Lloyds TSB had until Tuesday to put up a defence. I have just looked online and see that they have put up a defence today. The following infoirmation was on the MCOL site.

"You are unable to take any further action online on this claim.

The Defendant disputes the whole amount you have claimed. Your claim cannot proceed online and will be transferred to the appropriate court for continuation. You will receive confirmation to where the claim has been transferred to shortly"

Do i just wait to receive information of where my claim will be heard? At what stage should i send the defendant my breakdown of charges and my POC? Below is my POC which i recorded when i first made a claim online

1. Between 11.3.2002 and 9.9.2005 the

Defendant debited numerous charges from the

Claimant?s Bank account(2)The charges

exceed the Defendant's losses caused by the

breaches;The Term permitting the Defendant

to levy such charges is unenforceable under

the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts

Regulations 1999, Unfair Contract Terms Act

1977 and at Common Law(3)Under the law of

penalties, the charges are an unlawful

extravagant penalty(4)Under the County

Courts Act,the claimant is entitled to

interest of 8% per annum from the date they

were deprived of the money.This totals

£425.23,accruing at the daily rate of 0.21%

until judgment or payment(5)The Claimant

asks the court to enter judgment in their

favour for £1629.00 plus interest,totaling

£2054.23.The claimant claims interest under

section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at

the rate of 8% a year from 11.3.2002 to

23.4.2007 of £424.23 and also interest at

the same rate up to the date of judgment or

earlier payment at a daily rate of .0358

Is this the information i need to supply to the Banks solicitors along with my breakdown of charges? I have noticed there is a conflict in my POC I have stated £423.23 in interest and then towards the end of the auction i stated it was £424.23 Is this going to be a problem if it goes to court?

Gary

As the bank has stated it will defend it has moved beyond MCOL's purview and now has to be transferred to your local court. You don't have to respond to their defence as it is just a notification at this stage.

The next step will be the receipt either of an Allocation Questionnaire or a letter dispensing with it. You'll most likely get a court date with the letter.

Meanwhile I suggest you read the FAQs here as it sounds like you aren't totally au fait with what's about to happen.

Hi

I have read the FAQ's but only asked as i received conflicting advice. Somebody on the forums have advised me to send my poc to the banks solicitors now and someone else said there was no need to do it yet. Do you think there will be a problem with my POC due to the error in the interest amount by £1? I suppose i should not be surprised or worried about Lloyds defending as they are hoping i may get scared etc.

Did my POC look okay?

I'm not sure about your interest calculation figures, as it's an 8% daily rate.

The interest calculation is based on

Charge * 0.022 / 100 * number of days = Total Interest per charge.

Having said that I'm lousy at math and yours could just be another way of working out the same sum.

I used the Bank charges interest calculator on Martin Lewis's website MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

It worked out the interest for you.

Charge interest on top

If you won via the courts, you would be entitled to add 8% interest (not compounded) on top from the date you were ‘first deprived’ of the money (i.e. the date of each charge). Therefore you may want to ask for the interest as part of the initial claim. It's important to understand that you are not legally entitled to interest unless you win in court, yet all prior letters are a tool of negotiation; think of it a bit like haggling.

You may get lucky and get the interest on top, but even if not, the legal feedback I've had is that it’s one route to pushing the bank to settle quickly so it can offer to pay you without the interest. Of course there is a risk that asking for too much makes them less likely to settle too - sadly this is an art not a science. This isn't an easy concept so I've recorded a quick

which may help explain it.

For those who do want to ask for interest, I’ve had the calculator below specially built to work it out for you and included it as an option in the template letters later. However, if you'd prefer to play safe simply ask for the charges without interest in the early stages.

I used the Bank charges interest calculator on Martin Lewis's website MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more

It worked out the interest for you.

Did you work it out on each individual charge then total it, or did you work out the interest on the total amount of charges?

What I found confusing was the two different daily rates you cited.

Additionally I was of the understanding that section 69 of the County Courts Act required the daily rate to be calculated only up to the date of issue.

I worked out the interest individually. When you complete the bank charges calculator you input the amount you were charged. You then have to put in the day, month and year you were charged. The calculator then works out the interest owed which i then added to the charge. This means the amount of interest is worked out from the first day of the charge which you inputted on the calculator up until the date you are completing the list of charges. If inputted the same charges say today the interest which be slightly more per charge. You are right the daily rate is 0.021 which i recorded in the POC but i have then recorded the daily rate of .0358. Typing error. Will i have an opurtunity to change the wording in the POC? Do you think this is why Lloyds are putting up a defence? You advice whould be gratefully received.

I have just received a nine point defence from Lloyds TSB who are "Disputing the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form"

My case is to be heard at Northampton in front of Judge Murdoch.

At what stage should i send the defendant my breakdown of charges and my POC? Early on in the process Lloyds did receive a list of my charges that i am claiming back along with supporting letters. Will these have been passed to SCM? I have seen some posts who recomend sending SCM and the court a list of my charges but some posts say these is not required until i am ready to send in my bundle.Below is my POC which i recorded when i first made a claim online

Is this the information i need to supply to the Banks solicitors along with my breakdown of charges? I have noticed there is a conflict in my POC I have stated £423.23 in interest and then towards the end of the statement i stated it was £424.23 Is this going to be a problem if it goes to court? Also I have quoted two different rates of daily rates 0.21% and .0358. Can I change the wording on my POC changing the conflict in the two amounts of interest and record the daily interest rate to 0.21%. I am worried sick that Lloyds have decided to defend because they can see an error in my POC even though it is a minor mistake in the scale of things.

Sorry for the long posting.

Gary

Hi

Lloyds always defend and that is the 9-point standard defence, so you have nothing to worry about. There is no need to amend your claim.

I would send a copy of your schedule of charges to the Solicitors as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Barty:)

I WON!!!! :D :D :D

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloydstsb-successes/1774-barty-lloyds-tsb.html

IF I HAVE BEEN HELPFUL PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES:)

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received a "General Form of Judgement or Order"

It reads as follows: Before District Judge Smith sitting at Grantham County Court, Harlaxton Road, Grantham Linc's

Upon reading the documents on file IT IS ORDERED THAT

1) The claiment do by 4:00pm on 9th July 2007 file at Court and serve on the defendant a scedule particularising each and every charge complained of together with the interest calculation.

2) The defendant do by 4.00pm 0n 23rd July 2007 file at Court and serve on the claimant a counter scedule in answer.

After compliance the District Judge will consider further.

Because this order has been made by the court without considering representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court to arrive within 7 days of the date of service.

Sorry but i have several questions

Is this a standard letter?

Basically i have to send a list of all the charges i am claiming for detailing the date of charge, how much the charge was for and what the charge was for. Also the interest on each charge at the time i first sent the list to the bank at the very early stages of my claim.

What other documents do i need to send with my list of charges like my POC?

Also i have made a very slight problem when i listed my POC as detailed below.

I have noticed there is a conflict in my POC I have stated £423.23 in interest and then towards the end of the statement i stated it was £424.23 Is this going to be a problem if it goes to court? Also I have quoted two different rates of daily rates 0.21% and .0358. Can I change the wording on my POC changing the conflict in the two amounts of interest and record the daily interest rate to 0.21%. I am worried sick that Lloyds have decided to defend because they can see an error in my POC even though it is a minor mistake in the scale of things. If i can change the above POC at what stage would you advise i do this?

Also looking at my POC i used a templete from the Martin Lewis site and not from this site. TRhe templete i used for my POC does not include my account number etc. Should i be submitting a new POC?

have just received a "General Form of Judgement or Order"

It reads as follows: Before District Judge Smith sitting at Grantham County Court, Harlaxton Road, Grantham Linc's

1) The claiment do by 4:00pm on 9th July 2007 file at Court and serve on the defendant a scedule particularising each and every charge complained of together with the interest calculation.

2) The defendant do by 4.00pm 0n 23rd July 2007 file at Court and serve on the claimant a counter scedule in answer.

Because this order has been made by the court without considering representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the court to arrive within 7 days of the date of service.

Basically i have to send a list of all the charges i am claiming for detailing the date of charge, how much the charge was for and what the charge was for. Also the interest on each charge at the time i first sent the list to the bank at the very early stages of my claim.

I have noticed there is a conflict in my POC I have stated £423.23 in interest and then towards the end of the statement i stated it was £424.23 Is this going to be a problem if it goes to court? Also I have quoted two different rates of daily rates 0.21% and .0358. Can I change the wording on my POC changing the conflict in the two amounts of interest and record the daily interest rate to 0.21%. I am worried sick that Lloyds have decided to defend because they can see an error in my POC even though it is a minor mistake in the scale of things. If i can change the above POC at what stage would you advise i do this?

Also looking at my POC i used a templete from the Martin Lewis site and not from this site. TRhe templete i used for my POC does not include my account number etc. Should i be submitting a new POC?

needed. Changes on POC

I received this letter today from SCM:

As you are aware, we are instructed by our client Lloyds TSB Bank PLC.

We have been instructed to write to you as our client is, entirely on a without predjudice basis and with no admission whatsoever to liability, mined to enter into settlement negotiations with you but before doing so , we are told that there appears to be a discepancy in what you are seeking by way of a refund of Bank charges.

We note from your pleadings that you are claiming (alleging) that various deductions were made from your account over the past few years, but you do not specifically say when and how.

In light of this, can you please provide us with the following information by return.

1) Each and every individual amount of the charge that you are claiming and are disputing.

2) The date of each and every charge that you say was duducted from your account.

3) How you calculate any interest

4) How you calculate the sum of £2054.23: and

5) Confirm your sort code and bank account number.

We would be grateful if you would respond within 14 days of the above date (26/6/07) so that we may then take our clients further instructions.

Good news i guess.

Any advice on how i should now play this.How does the following sound?

(1)I have provided the last of charges at the start of my claim but because i used a templete from another site it did not state what each charge was for so i will use the templete on this site.

(2) My total charge total £1629.00 but with the interest of £424.23 which i am claiming back the total is £2054.23

(3) The following is my POC which should explain to them how i calculated my interest. The only mistake i have noticed is i have quoted the daily rate at 0.21 then later said it is 0.358. Which is correct?

(4) Also as you can see further down i am to provide information to the court. Sould i fax SCM the above details on Monday but also phone them and try to come to an agreement over the phone? Can the decide on a final figure which we both agree on or dod they have to keep speaking to Lloyds?

(5)How much do you think i should hold out for? Early in the process i said i would settle for £1800 in a without predujuce letter but they totally ignored this. This was before i started my claim therogh the court. Since then it has cost me £150 to start my claim online.

The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 11/3/2002 to 23/4/2007 of £424.23 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of .0358

Does or will your claim include any issues under the Human Rights Act 1998? I guess the answer is no.

Do you want to reserve the right to claim interest? Yes

Amount claimed £2054.23

I have seen several SCM letters like this recently. You seem to be okay as you have explained above.

I would not settle for anything less that what you are claiming, providing your calculations are correct. Pointless phoning SCM they are inept and unhelpful, stick to writing.

Ensure as the order you send your schedule of charges and interest calcs to the court by 09 July 2007.

Best to edit out your judges name.

You must stick to one thread per claim, I will get your threads merged.

If I have been helpful please click on my star and add a comment.

Hi

I have used the new charges templete on this website and changed the date on my computer to the date when i first calculted so the rate of interest is the same as when i first printed the charges. The interest and total charges are the same so no problems there. My only worry is in my POC were i have quoted the daily interest at two rates. 0.21% and 0.358%. Good knows why.From memory i think i picked this up of a Money saving expert website when i first started my claim. Which is the correct rate? As i have done it through the calculations templete on this website it confirms the correct interest. When is the best time to amend my POC? Also as you see i have recorded two different totals of interest. £425.23 and £424.23. The correct one is £425.23.

I was hoping to speak to SCM first thing Monday morning and thrash out a settlement. Do you think i will get anywhere? I am of course faxing/posting my detailed list of charges including interest and what each charge is for. Do you think they would want to settle knowing that by the end of the week the Judge will have the information he has requested

Hi

I had the exact same letter just under a month ago, I replied that day and sent them 3 seperate copies by recorded delivery.

I also pointed out to them that they had in fact had the information requested a total of 7 seperate times.

I still haven't had a reply, just spoke to some guy there who said they were sending it on to LLoyds to see what they want to do next. And the reason that they don't have a list of my charges in front of them is because they send them to lloyds who lose them.

I don't think thats exactly true but who knows what goes on in there world.

• 3 weeks later...

The received the "General Form of Judgement or Order" as detailed below and have provided the information as requested by the Judge. I also provided to SCM full details of each charge and how worked out my interest etc as they requested it in a letter several weeks ago. Can someone please tell me what i should do next? Should i phone the court on Monday to see if Lloyds served a counter claim. If the did not serve a claim do i win? Someone told me that if Lloyds do not serve a counter claim by the deadline the file will go to the Judge who will probably rule in my favour.

Hi LF

I would phone the Court on Monday and see what's happened.

In my case I received payment in full of all charges claimed back into my account just prior to the date Lloyds' Solicitors were supposed to file a counter-claim into court, so I would also keep a watchful eye on your account to see whether the money has been refunded.

Lloyds often seem to wait till the last minute and then pay up! Lets hope this is the case for you too ;)

Good luck!

Love Spiritgirl x

Please note I am not legally qualified, I am offering advice based on my own personal experience in the hope that it may be of help to others in a similar situation.