3G Mobile

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6083 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I had a 3G mobile contract a few years back, and due to the lack of service i was getting not beeing able to make phone calls..etc and in the end my phone was pretty useless as i required it for work. So i refused to pay the last few month line rental as i was not getting the service. They they then gave me a default to which i never recieved a default notice equifax removed this from my records but experian said they got a reply from 3G and that i should contact them myself. Which i did but surprise surprise they did not reply to my letter. So by this stage i had enough and just left it.

Now i have recieved a call from a debt collection agency saying the debt has been sold on. I said they are not getting a penny and can take me to court. He also said something about automatically taking the money owed out of my wages, how they plan on doing that when they dont know where i work i dont know.

He also said the matter that i was not getting the service should have been sorted out with 3 but as now they have the debt i have to pay it.

I am determind not to pay this as i know im not the only one to have had trouble with 3.

Where do i stand with this, if i do go to court i could really do with some info on all the complaints 3 had, i remember them being on watchdog info on that might help also or do i have to pay it are they correct?

Any help much appriciated

Thanks

Mark

This would be better placed in the telecoms forum, so it may move shortly. Where do you stand? Not as well as you might have thought, as your had a service contract in which 3UK provided you with a SIM card to access their network. They don't guarantee coverage (no network does) however unusually for 3UK, they provided a fall back service to a GSM network, initially O2 and now Orange.

For you to have had no service, you would have to have been in an area that had bad coverage from TWO networks, not 1, which is why complaints like these that lead to an early termination usually mean the subscriber is usually looking for any excuse to get out of the arrangement.

Because 3UK closed you account and sold it on, it will be virtually impossible to resolve this with them as the delay is too great. The time to claim dissatisfaction and seek redress has gone, and now you have to deal with the uncaring aftermath.

These firms purchase debts for fees agreed with the creditor, anything from 10p to 40p in every £ owed. They then collect the full balance and the difference between these amounts is their profit. If I found myself in your situation, I'd simply stick to your guns and say the account was in dispute and 3UK did nothing to resolve it. You do not deal with third parties, so take a hike.

You will probably receive considerable official looking correspondence, simply respond stating the debt is disputed, and should they wish to pursue the matter formally (ie in court) you will require them to show you had any contractual agreement with 3UK. That'll probably gold them for a bit - as if they can't prove you had the contract, they cannot collect on it.

Thanks for you reply and sorry for posting in wrong section.

You say if it goes to court i should ask them to prove that i had a contract with 3G? They will have all them details already will they not?

The person on the phone sounded like hes was really saying anything he could to make me pay and not go to court stuff like "you will be humiliated in your comuinity if you take this to court". Do these people have the power to come to you house? I would also love to know where they got my mobile number from as im with orange now.

Thanks

You'd be surprised at how little data they have about you. Usually it is just a screen print of your customer contract details, nothing else. Hence if they need additional info (like the contract) they have to go back to 3UK, and they very often don't bother.

When you realise the person on the other end of the phone will say ANYTHING to make you pay up, whether it is hurtful or embarrassing, they will. Just follow their lead, and if they're discourteous, reciprocate. Note any number presented, and next time don't answer it let the answering machine get it.

There's no 'power' required to visit your house - anyone can do it. How do you think you get all that junk mail? :D I'm sure I'd be humiliated at someone calling at my door (NOT!). Since they cannot carry signs saying DEBT COLLECTOR, only the nosiest of neighbours would be interested. As for you being humiliated in court. Really? Nobody will know, the Data Protection Act saw to that.

As for knowing your number, assuming you hadn't ported your number from one network to another, you probably disclosed it somewhere and it's been logged on your credit file as a point of contact. If you're on PAYG change the SIM, in on contract say you're receiving abusive calls for a free renumber.

Thanks again, so now i shall wait for thier next letter i assume this one will be from the courts. If i do go to court do i risk having to pay court costs? and what are these likely to be?

Not at all, like all bullies they threaten - but talk is cheap. The next letter you get will be from them, and the next AND the next until they get bored and move on to an easier target. To keep things fresh they'll change the heading to make it look as though it's a solicitor 'preparing documents' for court. Until you receive a claim DIRECTLY FROM THE COURT you do not need to do anything. When you do (IF it ever happens) you can then either admit or defend - even if you decide to pay up this can only add £40 to the amount they claim from you.