Can NW take fees if balance is Zero?

fuzzgun19
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had an £8 balance on my Nationwide flex account (basic no overdraft), which I transferred to my e-savings.

Next day 2 transfers to my savings(regular monthly), one for £1, and one for £2 came out, and were returned as my balance was zero.

This has incurred 2 x £30 fees, which are due to come out of my account on 16th August 07

I stupidly didn't remember about these, and this was a genuine mistake.

I called my branch to explain and they said I have to put it in writing to ask the fees to be returned, which I did.

My question is, as this account is used for my benefits (tax credit/child benefit) and I need this money, if I change the account the benefits go into to a different bank, and my balance at NW is zero, can they still apply these charges?

If they do, will it put the account in the red and incurr more charges?

Any thoughts welcome.

Don't expect them to worry about you, they will take the charges even if you have a zero balance, which will put you overdrawn. They will then charge you interest on this. Then they will charge you for being above your overdraft limit.

Barclays Bank - filed 27/9/06 £2006.07

Acknowledged 16/10/06

Defence Filed 27/10/06

AR sent 11/11

Nationwide

LBA 15/11/06

i am afraid that NW will still take their charges out, even if your balance is zero, this will result in you going overdrawn, which you will then be charged £20.00 + interest, even though it was NW that made you go overdrawn,

do a search on this site for bank charges and benefits, as i am sure that they cannot take charges from you if you are recieving benefits.

...My question is, as this account is used for my benefits (tax credit/child benefit) and I need this money, if I change the account the benefits go into to a different bank, and my balance at NW is zero, can they still apply these charges?
The simple answer is...YES!!!

I would STRONGLY advise U to switch your Benefit payments to being paid into a Non-Nationwide Account asap.

Any unlawful Debits that Nationwide take out from your Flexaccount will be recovered eventually, once U WIN your Claim.

However...

If U continue to allow your Benefits to be Credited to your Flexaccount, Nationwide will want to take ALL of them, to pay what they say that U owe them.

U will be extremely lucky if they give U ANY slack over this issue!!!

Why struggle to make ends meet cos of THEIR unlawful actions??

...If they do, will it put the account in the red and incurr more charges?
Another simple answer is again...YES!!!

See above reply!

Thanks for the replies.

So, if I switch bank account, wont this incurr hundreds of ££'s in fees (which I haven't got)?

Also, I have another Joint flex account, e-savings, ISA, and my husband has accounts with NW... Would they take money from these accounts if they can't take it from the account with the charges?

I'm not sure weather to just let them take the £60, rather than risk loads of other charges, and possibly have it taken from my savings..?

..I switch bank account, wont this incurr hundreds of ££'s in fees (which I haven't got)?

It won't cost U a penny to open another current account elsewhere!

...But if U are referring to your current Flexaccount, your question has ALREADY been answered!!!

Also, I have another Joint flex account, e-savings, ISA, and my husband has accounts with NW... Would they take money from these accounts if they can't take it from the account with the charges?

Possibly, on accounts where U don't have to have your Hubby's signature to Withdrawn any money.

...It is called 'Set Off' + is perfectly legal.

I'm not sure weather to just let them take the £60, rather than risk loads of other charges, and possibly have it taken from my savings..?

???...Generally, Interest paid on Savings is LESS than Interest charged on Debts!!!

...'Tis a no-brainer if U THINK about it?!

U are FREE to take any advice given, or NOT as the case may be!

It's YOUR life at the end of the day.

...But PLEASE don't ask people to make YOUR decisions for U!!!...:wink:

I'm not asking people to make my decisions for me, just weighting up the pro's & cons.

Especially with this 'Test case' thing, it may take alot of Months to get (maybe hundreds of ££'s back if I zero the account), as apposed to waiting for the smaller amount of £60.

Who's to say this bank charges claiming will be so easy after the test case...?

I think I will just let them take the £60 in August, and then (hopefully) claim it back.

Have you had charges retuned to you before?, sometimes if it's 1 or 2 charges they will waive them if its the first time. Dont call your branch call the number on the back of your card.

Nice of NW to charge you £60 for bouncing standing orders to yourself!, did they send you a letter reminding you to pay yourself in future!. A bit ridiculous and im sure they should be able to see that however it is the NW we're talking about here!

:|

I have not had charges returned on this account before, but I did have over £1000 returned last year on one of my other accounts.

Don't know if that will count as it was a different account(which they closed)??

I feel really mad a) my own fauly for not realising about the SO's, b) I have to 'put it in writing' all over £60..