Abandoned Car.

dave
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6101 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is going to seem a little cheeky, but in out local pub carpark a car has been abandoned - it's been there since last Christmas, and the landlord is going to have it towed away.

However, the car looks quite tidy and would suit my GF down to the ground for a first car.

My question is: can I apply to the DVLA to find out who the car belongs to and see if they want to sell it to us? If so, are there any special forms or anything that I need to get hold of?

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

What Rob has posted is absolutely correct.

However, having a new V5 in your name does not mean that the ownership of the vehicle has passed to you, only the name of the registered keeper.

Has the landlord contacted the Police with the VRM, the car may be stolen/abandoned and the owner totally unaware of where the vehicle is?

I don't know if he has contacted the police - I will pop in there on the way home and find out.

Thanks for the repies!

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Well, good news, the car has just been abandoned, so V62 here I come.

------------

------------

What Rob has posted is absolutely correct.

And you condone this fraud?

Speculatively applying to be RK of a vehicle without reaching an agreement with the owner would be reprehensible. Of course, witting to the DVLA to ask for the details of the RK because the vehicle is going to be towed/scrapped would be too legitimate to be countenanced. Since the vehicle is on private property and the removal is real, the data would be provided at a small cost.

Why mislead when the honest approach is available?

My post referred to the process being correct.

It is highly doubtful that the DVLA would release the RK details to any private individual - fee or no fee.

Anyway, where is the fraud? DVLA will write to the current RK, if he/she objects, then they will not issue a V5 to Dave. If he/she doesn't then they will. However, as I stated above, Dave will only have RK-ship not ownership.

But the V5 (or whatever will be issued) will have the previous keeper in it won't it?

When I get that, I intend to write to them and ask if they want to sell/give it to me.

I'm not trying to break the law, the complete opposite in fact.

------------

------------

My post referred to the process being correct.

It is highly doubtful that the DVLA would release the RK details to any private individual - fee or no fee.

Anyway, where is the fraud? DVLA will write to the current RK, if he/she objects, then they will not issue a V5 to Dave. If he/she doesn't then they will. However, as I stated above, Dave will only have RK-ship not ownership.

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the circumstances in which the DVLA will disclose details of a RK. If you care to pay the fee and give me your registration number I will (quite legally) obtain the address of the RK. I have done this on at least 3 occasions in the last 10 years. If you'd like to try it for yourself, use this form;

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/forms/v888.pdf

As to the fraud you condoned - in the application form for a replacement V5 the applicant reasons are shown in section 'A'. None of these apply to the situation described, therefore hijacking a car registration simply to nudge the original RK into responding is nothing short of scandalous.

Goodness! Dave is only trying to obtain something that someone else may not want - he's not trying to defraud anyone - he should be congratulated fro his re-cycling!!!:D The reason this post exists at all is because he is asking for advice in order to do it properly.............. within the law.;)

Goodness! Dave is only trying to obtain something that someone else may not want -.............. within the law.;)

And has to resort to deception and a false declaration? I'm sure you'd be equally sanguine if you got a letter (or indeed overlooked a letter) from the DVLA saying the RK was being changed on your pride and joy....

I'm delighted at Dave trying to discover whether he can obtain the vehicle, What irks be is that people who should know better would be prepared to underhand action to achieve this goal. Dave's blameless, its the unfettered deception suggested by these postings I find hard to take. Especially when the correct course of action is publicly available, but seemingly unknown to those who advised him.

Ok, ok...let's calm it down ;-)

I will complete the v888 and contact the owner that way.

Thanks all for the advice.

------------

------------

I suggest you acquaint yourself with the circumstances in which the DVLA will disclose details of a RK. If you care to pay the fee and give me your registration number I will (quite legally) obtain the address of the RK. I have done this on at least 3 occasions in the last 10 years. If you'd like to try it for yourself, use this form;

DVLA will not give out RK details to someone who is making enquiries to find out who the current RK is so they can approach them to ask if they want to sell or dispose of their car.

DVLA will not give out RK details to someone who is making enquiries to find out who the current RK is so they can approach them to ask if they want to sell or dispose of their car.

But they will if you misrepresent the fact you are now the new RK of the vehicle? Methinks this is a straw-clutching exercise.

As for your suggestion that they will not release the information simply to facilitate the sale of a vehicle, a landowner (or his agent) can legitimately request these details for a vehicle parked on private land, to facilitate contact. This, however won't work if the applicant is concerned about a vehicle parked on the public highway. Of course, people have been known to say an incident happened of private land when if fact there was none, but that's the way the rules were written. As for making a declaration that you're now the new RK to get at these details would appear to be a far greater crime.

Guys, guys!!!!

...as it happens, there was stroke of luck over the weekend regarding the car.

I was outside the pub "'avin' a fag" and a friend of mine came out, and I said to him about the car (as it was in full view of us) - he said, "I've get the keys for that at home".

I asked him who's it was, and believe it or not, a girl walked round the corner and he said, "it's hers."

I asked her about it, and she basically said that she'd given it to a friend and the friend had just dumped it there. She gave me her number and said that she would contact her friend to see if she still wanted it or not.

So, thanks for the replied - all appreciated - but by fluke I'm managed to get around it all!

....and people say smoking is bad!

------------

------------

But they will if you misrepresent the fact you are now the new RK of the vehicle? Methinks this is a straw-clutching exercise.

Wasn't that what you were suggesting by telling Dave to use the V888 earlier in this thread? You would be certainly making a false declaration to get the details via the V888 in the above circumstances. Methinks you are the one clutching at straws, especially with your fraud accusations.

As for your suggestion that they will not release the information simply to facilitate the sale of a vehicle, a landowner (or his agent) can legitimately request these details for a vehicle parked on private land, to facilitate contact.

Now you are going off into a totally different situation to the one that Dave originally posted about, with a vehicle that has been abandoned on private land. This is very different to making contact to ask if the vehicle is for sale. My assertion was based on an e-mail from DVLA with regards to the situation that Dave originally described.

This, however won't work if the applicant is concerned about a vehicle parked on the public highway.

And it wouldn't be necessary as you could inform the local authority if it is on the public highway.

Its just bad for people who dont wanna do it dave. lol

In a society of correctness this is what happens.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/