• Tweets

• Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant .... I said DCBL because I was reading a few threads about them discontinuing claims and getting spanked in court! Meant  YOU  Highview !!!  🖕
    • Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other! One other point to note, the more I read, the more I study, the more proficient I feel I am becoming in this area. Make no mistake DBCL if you are reading this, when I win in court, if I have the grounds to make any claims against you, such as breach of GDPR, I shall be doing so.
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Any stays applied for against Barclaycard claims due to OFT bank charge test case?

noomill060
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided that I am going to have to write to court to remove stay.

Just got off phone with court and they said that the judges at my court (Hitchin, Herts) have decided to put stays on all bank and credit card charge claims until after the test case. When I pointed out that it shouldn't apply to credit card cases I was told that they couldn't comment on individual claims and that was what the judges had decided.

So I think that a few letters need to be written!!

It seems very unfair that a judge in one area can do this and if you live somewhere else everything goes through ok.

One question though. If I apply for the stay to be lifted, (even though the judge has said that neither party can do this!) and the judge refuses, do I get my £35 back ?

You can check if your court is self funding if it is like Hull, they won't accept a letter to remove a stay and you need to pay the £35.00. You could try simply writing as a letter at least setting out the Human Rights angle.

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Craftylady - I'm in much the same position as you..... just when I had my allocation hearing date sorted out and everything ready to go, they went and put a stay on my case. My court is in Bedford - which isn't far from you in Hitchin - I wonder if judges in particular areas have got together and decided on their course of action?

I'm going to my local court tomorrow morning to hand in my application for removal of the stay - I'll let you know what they say about it. We are very much the guinea pigs for this action. I find it all very frustrating. I was days away from getting my offer from Natwest for over £2000 when the OFT test case was announced, and now this....!!!

lesleyjane - Did the judge say you were allowed to apply for removal of the stay? Hitchin judges seem to have put a blanket stay on all charges cases - banks and credit cards, with no appeal.

It does look like a postcode lottery doesn't it?

Decided that I am going to have to write to court to remove stay.

Just got off phone with court and they said that the judges at my court (Hitchin, Herts) have decided to put stays on all bank and credit card charge claims until after the test case. When I pointed out that it shouldn't apply to credit card cases I was told that they couldn't comment on individual claims and that was what the judges had decided.

So I think that a few letters need to be written!!

It seems very unfair that a judge in one area can do this and if you live somewhere else everything goes through ok.

One question though. If I apply for the stay to be lifted, (even though the judge has said that neither party can do this!) and the judge refuses, do I get my £35 back ?

I called this court this morning and asked if there had been any stays - the woman told me there hadn't been any yet and I should be fine with my claim - ass - elbow comes to mind!

The FOS is still processing credit card claims though, wonder how long they will continue to do so if judges are staying claims off their own bat.

I have been considering taking this route, simply cos I cannot afford to go through the court at this point, particularly if the case ends up being "stayed" and my court fee ends up being lost for month,

I realise that this is straying off topic a bit, but can you still ask for CI, or even CCI if you take this route? or is it simply charges?

Thank you x

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

I have an update -

I went along to Bedford County Court this morning, armed with my N244 and mountains of associated paperwork to back up my application. I spoke to a really helpful person on the desk - she said that it costs £65 per application to apply for a stay to be removed. She went on to say that the judges in Bedfordshire had made a decision to apply stays to all cases which involve bank charges. I reminded her that my claims were for a refund of credit card charges. She said that as far as she could see, the judges have grouped all penalty charges together, regardless of their origin.

She said that it depends where you live as to whether judges have decided to carry on regardless or put a stay on all claims. She agreed that it was unfair. She suggested that I write a letter to the judge outlining everything which is in my N244 package. It will save me £65 that I can ill afford. I intend to send him all my paperwork -including a copy of the OFT'S statement from their website (all 32 pages!), a tweaked version of Peter's objection letter andf a copy of the email I received from the FSA this morning. The email says that as far as the FSA are concerned, the test case refers only to bank accounts and not credit card accounts.

If anyone can think of anything else I should be including then please let me know.

This seems to be taking over my life.... I ended up taking a day off work today so that I could try and get things straight!

Photocopy the letters and include them in your complaint to the FSA for Barclaycard's abuse of the FSA's current account complaints waiver .

Its important that all complaints are put in.

I wrote to OFT/FSA and FOS yesterday, regarding barclays refusal to honour the hardship rule.

If they are true to their word, the FSA should lift the waiver, when it is revued next month.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Quote:

Originally Posted by noomill060 viewpost.gif

The FOS is still processing credit card claims though, wonder how long they will continue to do so if judges are staying claims off their own bat

The FOS seem to have found their own way round this. They are now quoting 6 - 9 months to handle credit cards claims. Call me a cynic, but isn't this just after the test case is expected to end.

Spineless.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Its important that all complaints are put in.

I wrote to OFT/FSA and FOS yesterday, regarding barclays refusal to honour the hardship rule.

If they are true to their word, the FSA should lift the waiver, when it is revued next month.

RE: The hardship rule.

My Barclaycard account has already been passed to Mercers. I would say the iminent threats of legal action against me would perhaps result in hardship if the case is not taken on promptly? I'm sure I'm also not the only one.

i phoned up Southend court regarding them staying my case against Monument Credit Card and they said to post a letter to them explaining the reasons that I feel it shouldn't be stayed.

Apparently, this is a decision the judge has taken. Gonna have to try to get a letter sent off tonight GRRRRRR

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

22/08/06 - Preliminary Letter sent requesting full repayment of charges

06/09/06 - LBA sent to bank

One of the arguements the bansk use to defend current account charges, is that it has nothing to do with a contract.

That has no defence for credit cards. There most certainly is a contract, and you have to pay a minimum amount every month, on time, and stay within an agreed limit.

Breaching this contract, results in a penalty for breach of contract, which is unlawful, if it is higher than the actual cost to the bank of the breach.

can I put that in my letter to the court Tech? Sorry to be dim, but I've been so busy at work and haven't had a chance to look do too much reading

Cheers

"Banks are people that will lend you an umbrella when it's sunny, but demand it back the minute it starts raining"

Brad v Halifax

You can quote what i say, but I think there is a section already for lifting stays.

Might be better to get the correct jargon for it from a Mod.

If it helps, i have spoken to the FOS last week, and the FSA today, and BOTH confirmed that credit cards are nothing to do with the test case.

UPDATE:- Lloyds TSB site acknowledges Credit cards NOT involved. Print that for your judge (go to bottom of page) :-

Lloyds TSB - Answers to questions on bank charges

cheers Tech....caught up on my work....so gonna draft them a letter today. My initial claim was only for £116 + interest & charges, so I'm a little reluctant to pay a further £35 when the judge may not agree with it anyway. If that makes sense

Brad v Halifax

ok...drafted a quick letter...can somebody have a quick check and let me know if I've omitted anything glaring please?

Cheers

Brad

16th August 2007

Ref: Claim 7QZ73518

Dear Sir/Madam,

With reference to the above claim, I respectfully request that the stay which was ordered on the 6th August be removed for the following reasons:

It has been ordered that the claim be stayed until the determination of the High Court proceedings on the legality of Bank Charges, however, as this is actually a credit card company I feel that it will bear no relevance to the above test case.

As credit card penalties have already been investigated by the Office of Fair Trading and have been confirmed as penalty charges for breach of contract these will fall under a different category. I have taken the following text from the OFT website: “A fair default charge should not exceed a reasonable estimate of certain limited administrative costs which the [issuer] reasonably expects to incur as a result of default”.

Furthermore, I also enclose a print out from the Lloyds TSB website; “Answers to questions on Bank Charges” where it also confirms that the test case and suspension of unauthorised overdraft claims apply only to bank accounts and not to credit cards.

I trust this information supplied is satisfactory, and I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Yours faithfully

Bradley Smith

Brad v Halifax

Thats great. Perhaps a line saying that both the FSA & FOS (use full names) have confiirmed that only current accounts will be looked at in this test case, and that credit card claims should continue as before.

cheers techie...have done....just wait & see now i suppose

Brad v Halifax

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Give me strength.

As feared, a letter arrived today, saying that my Barclaycard case has been stayed until 29th February.

Spoke to court, and probably shouldn't have said that the judge has not got a clue what he's doing, but what the heck, i never gave my claim number.

Now i have to write a letter.

Will wait till i calm down though.

soooo annoying isn't it? sent my letter off yesterday...just gotta wait now

if the judge decides it has to be stayed I'm not sure where we go from there, short of complaining to the FOS...who don't seem to care anyway!!!

Brad v Halifax

I used the FOS for my Lloyds TSB card. Lloyds failed to provide me with statements requested in February, despite being told to by the information commissioner. So in June, i applied to the FOS, who do not require a lits of charges.

I rang them last week, for an update, and was told that they had not looked at it yet. They are worse than the banks. I am going to write to them, asking who i complain to about THEM - the FOSOS?

You normally have to pay a fee to have a stay lifted, but we are being allowed to send a letter. I feel this may be a good sign, that maybe the judge knows that there may be problems with their blanket stays.

Fingers crossed, they will overturn them. If not, i can feel some angry letters coming on.