• Tweets

• If the legendary dx could offer his wisdom it would be greatly appreciated 
    • Hi there Manager for our soccer sixes team moved overseas mid season and we struggled for numbers so we told the ref about 5 weeks prior to seasons end that we would see out these games then be done and he told us he’d ’pass the message on to the relevant people’. Heard nothing, then 3 days prior to the new season beginning we were given our fixture for that weekend. Told the guy over text we had pulled out and the ref should’ve passed a message on but we were told sufficient notice wasn’t given and it needed to be in writing. I argued it’s not our fault the ref didn’t do as he said but we were countered by the T&Cs.    now being chased for what was £608 kindly reduced to £476 to pay off remainder of the season. Been sent a letter in the post from their accountancy team and told needs to be paid by Friday.   seen a lot of the other threads saying we can literally just ignore everything but im concerned about debt collections and credit score being harmed. Can anyone confirm if this all works/what we should do?   thanks
    • Hi,   I have given an official police witness statement for the prosecution in an upcoming criminal court case, and I am very anxious about what might happen.  Specifically regarding being cross-examined.  My statement is very short, and only a couple of paragraphs long, regarding a conversation I had with one of the victims.  I have tried to research online about what information about me the defence barrister might be able to find and use to discredit me.  I have by no means have a shady past but, I am concerned about what private information might be brought up, and as this is a case that will be in the national press as it is in the public interest.  The two preliminary hearings were reported in the papers.   I have tried to research  online what information the opposition can seek, but it is all very complicated.  I believe that they can legally access public records, but I'm not sure what information public records hold.  Can they access my medical records, educational history, HMRC, and Department for Work and Pensions? (I am a self employed sole trader).  I was arrested once, and this was unfortunately instigated by the victim in this case, so could well be of interest to them.  It resulted in no further action, however I have only discovered this week that that, in fact, this means I have a criminal record, and will be so until I am 100 (no chance)! This has really annoyed me to say the least, especially since I asked him afterwards why he rang the police and he said 'for a laugh'.  So I have started to look into applying for it to be deleted, but again, if anyone has any advice on this I would be appreciative. At the moment, my name isn't on the confirmed list to give evidence, but the detective I have been dealing with has said it is 'likely'. The names of the victims in this case will not be allowed to be reported, are witnesses fair game for the press? I really need no know how deep they can delve in to my life so I am prepared if my character gets assassinated in front of the nation. I really wish I'd never agreed to this.   Many thanks
    • A belated thanks dx. Yes I may take your advice regarding StepChange. I am finding that I am telling them (on behalf of my Son) the true balances outstanding? They never seem to check properly in which worries me. If I was to take on myself is there another way of dealing with various debts? I have already submitted other IRL complaints on his behalf. Today I have received a further response from Quidie T/A Fernovo confirming that they will waiver all interest paid.
    • Good evening  Case hearing this Friday 26/04. looking to have all my prep/papers ready.    just checking in to get update on my last post , ( the t&c’s attached). No name or address on them as per #49   thank you UCM  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

FSA To Review Waiver

crfx250
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Lloyds once told me not to buy my 2yr old daughter any new clothes or shoes as she could manage with her old ones and paying them was more important!

What right have anyone to dictate & tell us that we have to pay them before we clothe our children, I think that is totally disgusting.

As a child, I was always told that "as long as we have a roof over our heads (to keep us dry), food in our belly's & cloths on our backs (to keep us healthy & warm), everything else came 2nd." I don't care what anyone says, but in my book, children always come first.

--------------------------------

If you approve of my Post, please tip my scales.

13/07/07 **WON** Halifax

Any advice or opinion I give, is what I have learnt from CAG, If in doubt, please consult a professional.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC Link here

BBC NEWS | Business | Banks to keep complaints on hold

seems the only good news is that the FSA's own Consumer Panel have stated:-

"

The FSA's own Consumer Panel, which represents the view of consumers to the FSA, said it would be hard to justify keeping the waiver in place if the High Court case went beyond next February.

From the Beeb article:

"John Howard, the chairman of the Panel said: "[The waiver] has had the unfortunate effect of delaying consumers' access to justice, whilst allowing the banks to continue taking money from accounts for what may turn out to be illegal charges.

"The longer this goes on, the more unfair it will be, especially on those in financial hardship."

He seems alright (John Howard). At least he realises that the waiver is causing some suffering.

and

"it would be hard to justify keeping the waiver in place if the High Court case went beyond next February."

Indeed!

A £35 pound bank charge is not a charge for a service. Its theft.

I think that the views of the FSAs own consumer panel are very significant as they are clearly unhappy with the waiver. The fact that they think the FSA has not done enough ''to publicise the fact that people suffering any financial hardship should not have their claims put on hold.'' could expose the FSA to a legal challenge.

So....what iffffffff

the Banks or OFT win the case in Jan/Feb and is as widely expected the losing party decides to appeal??

The FSA's Consumer Panel seems to be advocating the revoking of the waiver after the initial case is heard so will it not be the case that whilst any appeal is going through claims can be re-started and settled as before.

Surely this would make any appeal futile as the majority of cases would be settled whilst the long drawn out appeal is going through the appeals process.

Any thoughts??

This being the case - that the Waiver can remain in place through the appeals process - pretty much puts the whole thing to bed.

If an appeal is going to take 2-3 years to go through (and both sides have already stated they will appeal) what is the best that the hundreds of thousands of claimants with cases pending can hope for?? That they may or may not - at the very best - get something back in 3 years time!!

Pretty dismal if so but I can't see anything else happening apart from this?? :sad: :sad:

This is what the FSA have said when I asked them about the duration

of the waiver:

''As you may be aware, in order to determine the relevant legal issues in an expeditious, fair and orderly way; the OFT and banks have agreed to have the test casedetermined in two stages. In summary, stage one of the case will focus on the determination of whether the relevant terms and charges can be assessed for fairness under the UTCCR 1999, and whether they are a charge for a service or a penalty in respect of breach of contract at common law. These are known as

'preliminary issues'. However, once the OFT has concluded it's investigation, and in the event that the arguments it has put forward in stage one are successful, then issues of fairness and genuine pre-estimate of costs/penalty will be determined subsequently at stage two of the proceedings. These are referred to in the test case as the 'substantive issues' ''

But surely the FSA have to listen to their own Consumer Panel at some point otherwise whats the point of their being?? (Let alone the massive negative media coverage that will no doubt be printed).

If the banks lose in January yet the FSA CONTINUES to keep the waiver in place during an appeal there will be absolute uproar (and surely every justification for the re-instatement of the judicial review)??

I am a little suprised that no one has considered applying for a judicial review of the OFT's decision to allow the banks off the hook!

This is another decision made behinfd closed doors. I would be willing to contribute to a fund to challenge the FSA and the OFT or I am willing to make such an applicaation if I had some help.

Just read the link from the FS Consumer Panel which strikes me as as strong as a rebuke they porbably allowed to publish!! Excellent news they think the waiver is unjust as we all do.

Surely the FSA are backing further and further into a corner and trying to continue to defend the banks it appears on their very own.

With the thousands of claimants fighting them and their own Consumer panel now turning the screw they're going to have to back down or someone higher up will make the decision for them!! (particularly with the recent scandals hitting the press on an almost daily basis) - how much more can the Chancellor deal with??

there's been a recent case in the High Court where Judge Behrens has stated that the blanket stay should only apply until the end of the initial proceedings in Feb and if there is an appeal the courts can decide to stay again.

he also stated that banks should not enforce debts where a stay has been granted and which consist entirely of charges. Therefore if you claim more than you owe the bank and they try to enforce, the stay should be lifted.

I am a little suprised that no one has considered applying for a judicial review of the OFT's decision to allow the banks off the hook!

This is another decision made behinfd closed doors. I would be willing to contribute to a fund to challenge the FSA and the OFT or I am willing to make such an applicaation if I had some help.

That has already been looked into and the FSA had a legal right to grant the waiver.

However their maybe the possibility of a challenge to the review itself and that is being looked at right now albeit by a lowly solicitor as opposed to a barrister for the time being, and I'll get her opinion by tomorrow. Although having said that she is head of litigation at a large London law firm and at an eye-watering £350 an hour she's somehow reasuringly expensive. And not to mention rather attractive.

Profiles - FSI

Surely the FSA are backing further and further into a corner and trying to continue to defend the banks it appears on their very own.

Hi shazza

The FSA aren't defending the banks on their own - the OFT are playing right into the banks hands by bringing a very 'woolly' test case which is certain to drag on for years IMO, and the Courts are very much supporting the banks by staying virtually all claims. 'The System' is protecting the banks, and IMO will always do so unless WE can force a change to that 'System'. I'll repeat here what I've already said on another thread in this forum, as I think it clarifies why I feel the way I do about 'the System'!

. . . " Sadly we're a very long way from the law deciding that fees are unfair and, above all, ilegal - in all probability a matter of years before ANY decision is reached. We may all THINK they are, and we may THINK we are all entitled to something back, but thats a very long way from the law deciding they actually are, and we actually are!

I think the banks know exactly what they are doing, and if we 'rest on our laurels' and do nothing for the time being, we are, in all probability, in for a nasty shock! There's no point in kidding ourselves. The 'waiver' is a prime example of that - the 'system' always has, and always will, play directly into the banks hands. Why? - because they are a foundation stone of our so called 'establishment'. We either accept that, wait a long time, and then get little or nothing, OR we react now and persuade 'the system' that it MUST pay credence to those of us that fund it - Consumers.

There's no point in just whinging that the system is unfair - we all know it is - we must act, and in great numbers, to engender change. If we don't we'll surely loose out. The days of the golden goose that pays out without actually going into Court are over, and gone. That change to the system, that WE made happen, was only temporary. The OFT, the FSA, and the Courts have combined to make sure it was that way in order to protect the banks, and IMO, will go on doing so. WE have got to act NOW to make permanent change happen, as I believe 'the system' will never do that on its own. . . . ."

We've changed the system once, temporarily - we now have to do it again, permanently!

Adam

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

The Financial Services Authority (FSA) has defended its decision to keep in place the "waiver" that allows banks to put complaints about overdraft charges to one side.

First put in place in July it was renewed this week ahead of a High Court test case early next year which may settle the legality of the banks' charges.

Some consumer and campaign groups have criticised the waiver as being one-sided and unfair to bank customers. But Clive Briault, a senior FSA executive said: "The aim is not to disadvantage people, the purpose is to get the legal certainty and deal with the complaints on the basis of that."

New charges

The consumers association Which? has taken a dim view of the FSA's approach.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif We have not seen any evidence of that end_quote_rb.gif Clive Briault, FSA

Its personal finance campaigner, Doug Taylor, said thaty since the test case was initiated in July, some banks had "muddied the waters by amending their terms and conditions to make their charges appear fairer".

"We do not agree with them [the FSA] that everything is working as it should," he added.

"The FSA needs to be more proactive."

Mr Briault replied that the possibility that a few people might have been disadvantaged did not mean the waiver should be cancelled.

"What we are doing is reviewing very carefully if there are any individual firms that are not complying with the conditions of the waiver," he said.

"Have they moved the charges definitively against the interests of their customers? We have not seen any evidence of that."

However not everyone is convinced.

"Not only have the banks continued charging, some have made their fee structure even more punitive to consumers," said Martin Lewis of the campaigning website Moneysavingexpert.com.

Credit cards

I

n April 2006 the banks agreed, under pressure from the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) to reduce their default fees on credit cards to £12.

o.gifstart_quote_rb.gif If there has been evidence of the banks using our waiver to delay handling other complaints then that is something we want to see evidence of end_quote_rb.gifClive Briault, FSA

That left some people trying to recover money paid before the agreement was in place.

But there have been examples, in some local courts, of barristers representing banks arguing that the general halt to overdraft claims should also mean a halt to the return of credit card charges.

Both the OFT and the British Bankers' Association (BBA) have said explicitly that the two types of claim should not be confused.

And Mr Briault added that such behaviour by banks would be a clear breach of the conditions of the FSA waiver.

But he said the regulator had not been given any direct evidence that this was actually happening.

"If there has been evidence of the banks using our waiver to delay handling other complaints then that is something we want to see evidence of," he said.

"That would sound contrary to the conditions of our waiver."

Confusion

Some apparent confusion over the issue has been revealed at the highest level of the English and Welsh judiciary.

One bank charges campaigner, Bob Egerton, wrote recently to the Lord Justice Moore-Bick, the deputy head of civil justice.

In response, Lord Justice Moore-Bick wrote that it was "for the judge who deals with each case to decide what course to take in the light of the evidence before the court".

"However, I imagine that one thing judges will wish to take into account is the existence of the OFT proceedings," he added.

So the door has been officially opened for local judges, under pressure from banks, to overturn what had been regarded, until now, as an industry-wide settlement.

"It is our impression that it is standard practice," said Marc Gander of the Consumer Action Group (CAG). "It is disappointing that the courts, who should know better, are going along with it."

• 1 month later...

The FSA has also allowed the banks to apply for a stay in all court

proceedings of this nature until the case has finished. The Banks are

now to apply to the Master of Rolls to issue a blanket stay on all

court hearings.

We also must not forget the FSA work for the banks and they are working against us at every twist and turn,i am wondering and would like to know ,just what mandate and instructions the FSA had from the finance co...also bearing in mind the FSA is our favourite persons personell baby MR G BROWN so any mail to him concerning the FSA would be binned (probably)

perhaps i am biased about the FSA because of my distrust of them and their advice,and as i have said on many occasions when has the FSA ever done anything in favour of the consumer......i would love to see a case made against the FSA for deliberate and wilfull interferance in favour of the banks and finance companies..we should be taking the FSA to task surely their is a case to answer....i will get of my soap box

patrickq1

The FSA cannot dictate to the banks as to whether or not they defend legal action against them. The banks may apply to the Master of Rolls but he does not have to give them a blanket stay and i would suggest it would be prejudicial if that does indeed hapen.

I would agree with you that the FSA does seem to lack any teeth whatsoever in dealing with major banks. The FSA seem to be reactionary rather than progressive. They have a knee jerk reaction rather than progressively taking financial institutions to task.

"The FSA has also allowed the banks to apply for a stay in all court proceedings"patrickq1.....this is not a dictation to the banks this is the "FSA HAVE ALLOWED"

their is a slight difference....the PREjUDICIL part is interesting..........it is the consumer who is feeling the prejudice.............

The FSA seem to be reactionary rather than progressive. They have a knee jerk reaction rather than progressively taking financial institutions to task......

this knee jerk reaction was because the OFT were of the opinion that the consumer was being prejeduced against

the FSA like i have said need to be under the spotlight and investigated, an example being is NORTHERN ROCK

i know the telegraph reports this :Restructure of FSA to aid greater power. The Financial Services Authority has launched a major organisational shake-up to prepare the regulator for greater powers after the Northern Rock fiasco.....

this alone stinks it corrupt and immoral,

the FSA if they had any backbone they would simply put an end to the sneaky ways of the banks and make them accountable and transparent and of their illegal partnership with the DCA & CRA and the allowance of data sharing within the CRA and DCA where they all sleep in the same horrible bed,and soon to all under one roof known as "SCOR – Access to full data is now available to all DBSG Members. Get maximum benefit." Steering Committee on Reciprocity (SCOR)

surely you cannot accept this as being acceptable

all this going on right under the nose of the FSA

just what have the FSA done thats of any benefit to the consumer...and i do find the goverment departments just as guilty for the allowance of all this to happen...and to cap it all of look at the video MAXED OUT...Maxed Out

patrickq1