Help! They let me believe debt was written off!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I am just looking for a bit of advice.

I have debt from an old overdraft that the bank tried to force me to pay when they closed my account because I reclaimed charges back from them. I am not in the position to pay this and told them this but they passed it on to debt collectors and a solicitors.

I used nationaldebtline to write them a budget sheet showing I have no money left over and a letter asking them to write it off.

I recieved a letter from the solicitors saying that nationwide had intructed them to take no further action. This was about 3 months ago.

Today I recieved a letter from a different debt collection company chasing the same debt .....

They let me believe that they had written it off !

What should I do? Keep sending letters?

Did the letter say that it was actually written off or just that particular solicitor was instructed not ot take it further?

I would write to Nationwide and send a copy of letter and ask them to clairify the position - how much are we talking about here?

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Thanks for your reply.

After I sent the letter I got a letter from the solicitors saying they had been instructed not to take any further action and that my file was closed, which I took to be of a result of my letter asking for it to be written off.

But yes it did not specifically say it was written off.

It is for £811.

Send a copy to the DCA, and then write to the NW for clarification that no further efforts will be made to recover this debt, as it was a fair assumption on your part following your request to write off the debt that the solicitors letter implied that thsi was the action that was being taken.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.