• Tweets

• Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
    • OMG! I Know! .... someone here with a chance to sue Highview for breach of GDPR with a very good chance of winning, I was excited reading it especially after all the work put in by site members and thinking he could hammer them for £££'s and then, the OP disappeared half way through. Although you never know the reason so all I can say is I hope the OP is alive and well regardless. I'd relish the chance to do them for that if they breached my GDPR.
    • The streaming giant also said it added 9.3 million subscribers in the first three months of the year.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

OFT v Banks - **Don't panic!!!**

Bookworm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Taking Yorkshire Bank to court for my elderly neighbour, not a significant amount just over 400 squid. Recieved a letter today stating Sitting at Northampton County Court

IT IS ORDERED THAT:

1) Following filing of a defence or holding defence the claim shall be stayed pending judgement in the Office of Fair Trading test case.

2) Liberty to apply with an explanation

Note: Any Party affected by this order may under rule 3.3 (5) apply to have it set aside, varied or stayed. Such a party must apply under Rule 23.3 within 14 days of service of this order. (The order was drawn on 20 August)

So Question Do i apply to set the stay aside? and carry on or as this is a direction for a named District Judge do i leave it and wait till the text case is heard?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose that would be up to you

There are good templates here to request a stay to be lifted (the application will cost you though) or you could make an application to include a clause that will prevent the bank from imposing any further charges during the duration of the test case (there are a few threads on the site about a recent case in Luton where Barclays was told they could equally not continue to charge the claimant during the test case if they wanted to stay the case)

Or you could just leave it and wait until the test case is decided

What would you prefer to do ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cases-stayed-pending-oft/108430-stays-info-guidance.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/111856-barclays-customer-wins-freeze.html

Yes - just been looking at other posts to see what I have to do - I think I download form N244 off this site and complete and then send in to Leicester court with a fee of £35 ??? :confused: Would you think I should send another schedule of charges with it?

Seeing as my neighbours are elderly disabled pensioners, there not happy about paying to apply for a stay to be set aside even though their case is in my view (and others) really strong, looks like this ones going to have to be a case of sit and wait..

I am tempted to just pay for the stay to be set aside but then all post goes to them and in a sense thats betraying there wishes. I have however written back to the Yorkshire Bank to remind them they are not permitted to take there benefits as charges in accordance with the appropriate Act and Legislation, despite this im sure that Yorkshire bank are not interested in this..

Ive even been to the local branch previously witht he legislation to be told by the manager, she never heard of it before lmao (yeah ok) Ive invited Yorkshire bank to thoroughly inspect there income and as the court will see when i produce the bundle (after the test case) the bank have caused additional distress by taking there benefits, pretty obvious thats all the income they get as its clearly stated 'benefits'

Anyway, thats just the update lets hope OFT beat the heck out of the banks....

On a lighter note, i have a case going through the courts myself.. Halifax Mortgages, with charges etc, had the same letter as my neighbour just worded differently to stress to me that no payments will be made until after the court case, then today a letter saying sign here and we will pay you in full and final settlement... typical halifax not knowing which hand is doing what so ive signed and in effect they have settled, just wish it was as easy for my neighbour.

Bookworm,

I've just started my claim requesting statements for the last 6 years from Abbey national, everyone is tell me that Abbey is the worst for stalling.

Can I continue ? and am I likely to lose the right to get my charges back

due to this new ruling...giving the banks power to put on hold all claims.

Augustus, keep going - they will probably be granted a stay anyway. If your claim is in the system when the test case is heard and if the banks lose, then it makes it easier for you to get your money back.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Guys,

What do we think the likelyhood of the banks losing really is?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Guys,

What do we think the likelyhood of the banks losing really is?

Personaly I think they are very likely to lose, and they are just using the time it will take as a delaying tactic, hoping that new claimants will just give up and not bother whilst at the same time finding other ways to rip us off. It is standard business practice that large turnover with small profits generate large profits. Do we see the banks making these charges to the big customers. No, If they are short of cash an immediate overdraft of six figure sums is available, whilst they charge us £39 for going pence overdrawn. The banks are now finding out that the little customers when they all get together ARE as powerfull as the big corparations and this has them seriously worried.

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

Bookworm,

I've just started my claim requesting statements for the last 6 years from Abbey national, everyone is tell me that Abbey is the worst for stalling.

Can I continue ? and am I likely to lose the right to get my charges back

due to this new ruling...giving the banks power to put on hold all claims.

Hi Augustus

For a claim against Abbey, it could be well worth your while having a read of GaryH's posts here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/111571-abbey-court-hearings-important.html

and here -

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/111050-abbeys-new-service-charge.html

Hope that helps - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Seeing as my neighbours are elderly disabled pensioners, there not happy about paying to apply for a stay to be set aside even though their case is in my view (and others) really strong, looks like this ones going to have to be a case of sit and wait..

I am tempted to just pay for the stay to be set aside but then all post goes to them and in a sense thats betraying there wishes. I have however written back to the Yorkshire Bank to remind them they are not permitted to take there benefits as charges in accordance with the appropriate Act and Legislation, despite this im sure that Yorkshire bank are not interested in this..

Ive even been to the local branch previously witht he legislation to be told by the manager, she never heard of it before lmao (yeah ok) Ive invited Yorkshire bank to thoroughly inspect there income and as the court will see when i produce the bundle (after the test case) the bank have caused additional distress by taking there benefits, pretty obvious thats all the income they get as its clearly stated 'benefits'

Only just seen this, but wanted to point out that if they are on benefits, they don't need to pay court fees; indeed if they have paid fees to issue the claim already, or an AQ fee, they can apply for them to be refunded. They can do this now, incidentally, no need to wait for the case to conclude. Just ask the Court for form EX160 or download it from the Court Service website.

Hope that helps.

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know (and I know the this will have been answered 100's of times already but I am a time strapped student and don't have the time to go rifling for the answer so if someone could answer or post the link to the answer I would be most grateful) - for those peeps that have not yet even sent the initial letter to the bank asking for a refund of charges - is it worth still sending the letter or should it wait until after this test case has gone through?

This is because several of my friends who I couldn't convince to reclaim their charges when I reclaimed my own over a year ago have now decided they would like to start the process having seen all the media attention.

Cheers

HSBC - full refund = £647

Capital One - full refund of £220 + court costs + interest

Hi just about to prepare a letter to appeal against stay - but getting tired and fed up of keep paying court fees not knowing when this will all be settled..keep nudging DG but never had a letter from them or anything - claim was with the court in May before all of this but still been stayed by judge..and hsbc still keep applying charges - in the statement for the N244 [appeal to lift stay] do I add the "overview" at the end about the banks not being allowed to charge until test case is done .. if I cannot have all my charges refunded under that same banner? Also just wondering - will the courts be keeping all the "stayed" cases in one file so if it all goes in our favour [ the customer] will the courts then contact us to recommence the proceedings ??:confused:

you keep that over view for the actual hearing. you just submit your reasons in part C and leave it at the,......

Charlie there is no point in nudging DG . they will nto answer you. they werent before and since the oft announcement the def arent..............

all you have to comply with and focus on is keepign court deadlines and prepareing for your hearign when you get the date through............

rockin all over the world

Thanks for that age - but the judge doesn't HAVE to accept the appeal does he? He could say "thought about it and no you can't have stay lifted!!" If that happens do I just have to wait until Leicester court contact me in future re the test case and the results at that time?:confused:

Just heard on Radio 5 news that LTSB are reducing their O/D penalties! Sounded like a pre-emptive move in light of the OFT case. Are the banks on the run!

I'm just about to send in my application for removal of the stay. Should I hold off to include something about this?

The impression it gives is that Lloyds TSB are worried re the outcome.

Thoughts...?

Matt

Charlie they have to give you either the right to appeal in writing or ask for ahearing. . no they do not havet to grant you the removal or infact them they stay. that is down to the judge............adn it all depends on the legal issues if any of the court cpr have been breached that gives leave to appeal to the high court. so hang in there:)

that is kind of what I expected matt, give that it is rumoured they are going to pull out the test case.. I think they are hoping this will prevent them being affected in the long run by the oft test case........

If you have the time, I would hang fire for 24-48 hours and see if we can find anythingon the web or in the papers about this as it will most def bulk up your case:)

that is kind of what I expected matt, give that it is rumoured they are going to pull out the test case.. I think they are hoping this will prevent them being affected in the long run by the oft test case........

If you have the time, I would hang fire for 24-48 hours and see if we can find anythingon the web or in the papers about this as it will most def bulk up your case:)

I really can't see that they will be pulling out of the test case and these changes in the charges they will claim are purely for commercial reasons, the other banks will undoubtedly follow suit in the not too distant future

Just heard on Radio 5 news that LTSB are reducing their O/D penalties! Sounded like a pre-emptive move in light of the OFT case. Are the banks on the run!

I'm just about to send in my application for removal of the stay. Should I hold off to include something about this?

The impression it gives is that Lloyds TSB are worried re the outcome.

Thoughts...?

Matt

They aren't really on the run, its soley for PR purposes IMO. They are painting the picture of having "listened" to their customers and all that rubbish, plus they are now going to give you notice before they sting you so they can say that if you get a charge its all completely your own fault. It clearly is a pre-emptive move, but its not hugely significant, as Lloyds never claimed their charges to be proportionate to their costs anyway. When and if Halifax and Abbey follow suit then that would be slightly more significant.

As for the crazy notion that they are going to suddenly pull out of the test case - sorry, but it just ain't going to happen! (unfortunately)

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

I completely agree with Gary, is also sound business move on their part. Lots of disgruntled bank customers will be moving their accounts because of lower charges, and MORE lower charges add up to bigger PROFITS

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

Whether its for commercial reasons, PR or whatever, the inference is surely that there is no need for their charges to be as high as they currently are. Certainly, the removal of the 29% interest rate, is the removal of a very obvious penalty and the considerable reduction in the penalty charges surely suggests that, whilst they have always argued these were fair and reasonable, they can infact be considerably cheaper! Therefore, this surely effects their previous arguement and may effect the judges consideration with regard to stays.

The more I think about it, it comes across as an admission that their penalties were not at all reasonable or fair.

Whilst I have no idear how to go about it, I feel it would be a wasted oportunity not to use it.

Matt

Ok, I'm obviously out on my own with these thoughts.

I've sent my application for removal of the stay (thanks garyh for the template), but decided not to mention LTSB announcement. I figure I might be able to use this to argue something else later, not putting all my eggs in one basket.

Gary, why would it be more significant if Halifax or Abbey follow suit?

Matt

Prob because LTSB are a UK bank, whereas the others are International, therefore any ruling against them would be less serious financially.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00