• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

A Little help needed

Ihatebanks
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been having conversations lately with my friendly business manager (not)

If I put in a complaint he would look at last 6 months charges(how genorous!!!!)

This was proir to finding this wonderful site.

Whilst he agreed that charges were unfair he said it was the banks policy to recover there costs

I asked him to breakdown the costs needless to say he couldn't as these were set by the bank not him

It would appear that dependant on how your account is set up,there can be manual intervention as he gets a daily list of transactions which would exceed your limit at his discretion they would be paid or returned.

However judging by the charges I have been charged mine are automated.

One point I did raise which stopped him dead in his tracks was if a DD was due to be paid and there were insuffient funds

and it was returned (automatically)I would be charged £35.00 however if I went to the supermarket and bought goods and went to pay by debit card and it was declined why do the bank not charge me £35.00 for this?? after all its the same process

After a long pause he did not have an answer

I have told him I intend to reclaim all of my unfair charges and had help to do so,he then offered to review 12 months charges obviousley word is getting around(hehe)

I have today sent LTSB DAP for both accounts my estamate £1300 and £3000 excl interest also Monument £400+

and Barclaycard £200+ will leave Capital One for now

Has anyone had Credits card accounts closed once letters started flying?

Has anyone lost a case yet?

Lloyds TSB - N1 claim issued 18/07/06 - £3440 Offered unconditional settlement 23/08/06

Vodafone-Information Commisioner assessment -default removal -25/07/06

I

Has anyone lost a case yet?

Only one - but there were issues - here's the thread

25/06/08 - NatWest - Prelim letter

09/03/06 - Halifax - Settled 27/4

22/03/06 - Capital One - Settled 24/6

17/04/06 - Nationwide - Settled 8/9

Hit the DONATE BUTTON and give 5% back to support this site!

It has to happen at some point judging by the amount of claims going on,

I did find something interesting though whilst trawling the net

I have 2 accounts at LLoyds, Business Account and a Basic Bank account

according to the FSA website on basic bank accounts Lloyds do not charge for

unpaid direct debits

http://http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:ajaXd6S5UekJ:www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/pdfs/bank_account.pdf+fsa+basic+bank+accounts&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1

With a bit of luck this will help my case:)

Lloyds TSB - N1 claim issued 18/07/06 - £3440 Offered unconditional settlement 23/08/06

• 4 weeks later...

Sent off my Data Protection Act request to lloyds on 10th May by letter and email got a reply the day after (by Email)from Mr Bowden saying he will pass it on to the correct Dept nothing has arrived yet do you need to send a reminder? only 14 days left

I have worked out from statements the *****ing *****s:-x have taken £2957 in charges, have left the interest alone very little ammounts

Would it be premature to send request for payment of charges or should I wait until there 40 days are up?

Thanks for your help

MOD - ** No Libellous Comments Please **

Thanks for that

I have already worked out through my statements that I have been charged £2957

I will wait til the 40 day deadline before sending off letter

If you already know the amount there is nothing to stop you from sending your preliminary letter. You can change the amount claimed up to the moneyclaim. You are merely inviting the bank to begin a dialogue to solve this dispute.

If you already know the amount there is nothing to stop you from sending your preliminary letter. You can change the amount claimed up to the moneyclaim. You are merely inviting the bank to begin a dialogue to solve this dispute.

what he said :)

i must say that the amount lloyds told me they took was higher than the amount i had calculated!

Is it worthwhile sending a reminder for the DPA six days left still no sign of the paperwork!!

Has anyone else sent an aburpt letter reminding them of their obligations?

Hi All

Sent off my DPA request by email and letter on 11th May recieved an email from Mr Bowden on 12th saying that he had passed to the relevant department

I gave them permission to deduct £10.00 from my account

(nothing has been taken except £105.00 in charges!!!!)

Now that deadline is looming what can I do to stir up a hornets nest,

I have worked out through my statements and online they have taken £2957 in charges

Any one have any thoughts on how to proceed?

Do I send a Preliminary approach for repayment and ignore the fact they haven't replied or do I send Data Protection Act - Non-Compliance letter or infact both

Any views would be welcomed and yes I have read other threads but it doesn't seem clear cut

If it were me, the Data Protection Act - Non Compliance letter would be the next step. Bear in mind though, Lloyds have a habit of leaving things to the last minute.

You could theoretically send a Preliminary Approach with an estimated amount, I don't believe it would be too much of a problem to amend the amount if Lloyds do comply at any point before the Moneyclaim stage?

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Cheers REload

I ve just fired off LBA for non compliance to Mr Boden personally also sent

request for repayment of charges to [email protected] however with 2 mins got this message back

Your message

To: Contact.Us

Subject: Private and Confidentail

Sent: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:16:52 +0100

did not reach the following recipient(s):

Contact Us on Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:17:02 +0100

The message could not be delivered because you do not have create

permissions on this folder or it is only available to folder owners at this

time

I now need permision to email them!!!!

Okay quick update

Fired off 2 emails yesterday one came back so sent again through another email address just incase

This morning recieved the follow 2 yes 2 emails from Mr Boden

Thank you for the e-mail, which has been passed to this office by the On-line Helpdesk.

I am extremely sorry to learn that you despite your previous requests of 12th May, you have yet to receive the requested information. I have located your previous e-mail and acknowledged your request for copies of statements/charge transactions on your account I did state that as a letter was also en route to us, we would await this formal request before forwarding on to the Copy Statement Unit. Regrettably, it appears this letter didn't arrive, apparently lost in transit.

Under the circumstances, I have today passed your e-mails on to our Copy Statement Unit and I have asked that your request is noted and the statements sent to you at the earliest opportunity. I would like to point out that I have been unable to locate the XX_XX_XXaccount. Can you re-confirm the account details?

Regards and apologies again for the delay.

Keith Boden

Lloyds TSB - Service Recovery

Birmingham

Note I did not have time to reply obviousley read my letter again :rolleyes:

2nd email 30mins later

Following on from my earlier e-mail, as the XX-XX-XX account has been opened within the last few years, I am able extract the information from here and will get the statements out to you today. The other account XX-XX-XX, is a business account I believe and we shall have to arrange for the information to be ordered from the Copy Statement Unit.

Regards

Keith Boden - Lloyds TSB

So obvoiusly the template letter does work threatening them with court for non compliance

Excellent news :)

reload vs Lloyds - £2703.11 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload vs Lloyds Round 2 - Prelim sent 27/03/07. £435 owed.

reload vs Capital One - £456.57 Settlement Reached 14/07/06.

reload's mum vs Barclays - £745 owed. £375 partial settlement reached 17/10/06.

Lloyds Bank - The Template Response Letters!

Advice & opinions of reload are offered informally, without prejudice and without liability. Please use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update

Credit to Mr Boden he pulled out all the stops to get me my info on day 40

I sent LBA to him which he passed onto David Just got a letter back today usaul blah Blah charges are fair etc refer me to FOS i am going to reply with letter below any thoughts Im still sticking to my deadlines I thought if it goes to court I can show that I have attempted to settle matters reasonably

Your Ref BHAM/DJ/CC/891313

Dear Mr Just

I thank you for your letter dated 11th July 2006 and note the points you raised, I am writing to clarify a few points in the hope that I can get a proper response instead of the standard reply.

Whilst I appreciate that like any other business you have to make a profit however I disagree that the amount charged for unlawful penalties are not a true reflection of the costs incurred by the bank, can you therefore provide me with a breakdown of the true costs incurred by the bank and how they are arrived at as you say in your letter that “we’re completely open about our charged for services”.

With regards to the “extra work” involved in refusing a payment from my accounts

I have been advised by telephone banking, the business centre and at my local branch

that if there are insufficient cleared funds in my account that these are returned automatically therefore this is an automatic process so any costs would be minimal.

Furthermore there are no notes on my Data Protection Act 1998 Subject Access Request

to suggest that there has been any manual intervention by any bank staff, unless you have not supplied the complete data as per my request on 11th May 2006.

When I have recently request help this has been declined for both business and personal accounts there has been no support forthcoming from the bank just further charges.

I do find it extremely difficult to keep a running check on how much is in my account as the information given by Internet Banking ,ATM machine and Telephone banking are never the same unless there have no transactions for a number of days.

I do think that you regime of charges are lawful or fair this is why I have given you since

11th May 2006 to enter into dialogue to resolve this matter without the need to waste valuable court time.

I note that you are willing to refer my complaints to the Financial Ombudsman Service for an independent review, I thank you for your offer however the FSO do not have the

powers to enforce either Common Law, Statute and recent Consumer regulations.

This will be down to a Judge to decide.

I enclose a revised figures after further penalties have been deducted from my accounts.

May I remind you that if this matter is not resolved by my deadline of 16th July 2006

At noon on the 17th July 2006 I will be issuing proceeding for the recovery of the unlawful penalty charges plus Interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act along with Court fees

Yours sincerely

I hate banks

Well they have had there chance to enter into disscusions and declined:(

I have rung daily for a week on another matter and there are still not returning my calls

I had a problem with moneyclaim website, imported my particulars of claim

1077 characters and for some reason it turned into 1120!!!!!!!! so contacted my local court and after a breif conversation it appears I will be exempt :D from fees (been off work for 6 mths after operation) so I am taking my N1 off to court today should get claim number in the next couple of days

Claim £3147.50 plus interest £292.98 Grand Total £3440.48

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Issued on 18th July got notice that they intend to defend in full on 25th

so now I presume I have to wait until 18th August:(

Incidently they say in their letter to the court

"We are now in the process of drafting our Clients Defence and Counterclaim"

Is this normal

Solicitors are SCM brighton

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm on a similar timeframe to you and wondered what the progress was with your case? I've recieved my Acknowledgement of Service from the same solicitors.

Thank you!

Feralkat

:)Lloyds ***WON*** £3,500 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Quick update

Got back from Jolly Hols to find 2 letters

1.Copy of defence filed on last day(seems standard one)

2.Offered Full refund on personal acc and 95% refund on Business Account this was due to some incorrect dates on my spreadsheet and a charge that had already been refunded, it also included confidentially clause

I called them this morning to give correct dates for charges and said I was not willing to accept unless they dropped the clause and amended there offer to the correct amount

She said she would contact her "clients" and get back to me

One point that made me laugh was about informing the courts that settlement had been reached after the following quotes

These terms and any correspondence entered into in reaching settlement, of which this letter is one, will remain confidential between you, us and the Bank

If you are willing to settle, please sign a copy of this letter as confirmation that you are bound by its terms, including the requirement of confidentiality, and return it to us

If I had signed and accepted there initail offer I would be breaking the agreement by telling the Court:grin: :grin:

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats great great news!! Those poor guys at SCM must be so so busy!! I tried to speak to Mr Thomas today and am still waiting for a call back - busy dealing with your case I should think - lol

Am really please for you :)

FeralKat

:)Lloyds ***WON*** £3,500 :)

Ooops forgot to mention SCM acknowledged my claim but it was MJ who submitted the defence and made the offer

The offer was made on 14th and defence filed on 17th maybe SCM are really snowed under

Just got response back from MJ

They will agree to scrap the confidentallity clauses and make payment of £3402 within the next 7 days

I had 2 charges on my claim that had already been refunded:o

So it look like this battle is over and.............

I WON

Donation on its way once the money hits my account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6449 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks