Robinson Way and PayPal

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All

Yesterday I received a demand letter from Robinson way for £893.75 stating that this debt was due to PAYPAL.

Back in May 2006 I noticed two transactions on my PAYPAL which had been input without my knowledge. Someone had illegally accessed my Paypal account. I filed a dispute with PAYPAL for both immediately, they said they would investigate and get back to me. Since I was a verified member they took the money from my current account. I phoned my bank (BArclays) and explained what had happened and they agreed to credit me with the amounts taken by PAYPAL. PAYPAL could not trace the merchant who had taken the money and so came back to me.

I have made numerous phone calls/email to PAYPAL about ths. They insist that the transactions were done by me. Someone had purchased a laptop and Plasma screen TV using my PAYPAL account.The most interesting fact is that the merchants were based in Turkey, the delvery address was Turkey aswell. I asked PAYPAL for the merchants ID so at least I could then ask them when they sold the items, who to and where were they delivered. If I had bought these items there would certainly be a proof of delivery somewhere in the chain.

Anyway, PAYPAL were having none of this and insisted that their systems were secure. They alledged that someone in my household had bought the items. Well I live with my wife and two children, who were 2 and 7 years old respectivley at the time. My wife does not use the computer.

Today I received a phone call from RWC stating that the debt was outstading and that I could pay by credit card. I told them the debt was disputed and not to contact me again as this was harassment.

Please advise. I currently have an excellent credit rating and don't want this to destroy my status. I have had numerous sleepless nights over this.

Do you think I should get the police involved since this was a fraud. I did not get them involved initially becasue my bank gave me the money back!

Any advice would be appreciated.

George

Hi George. Welcome to the CAG! :)

Firstly, this does need reporting to the police and you need to get a crime reference number that can be quoted to the likes of Robinson, Way & Co Ltd.

Also having a word with your local Trading Standards will do you no harm either...

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

In the mean time, here's a letter that you can send to Robinson Way, preferably by recorded delivery...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to your recent letter/s and/or telephone call/s. [edit as appropriate]

You will be aware that as holders of a Consumer Credit Licence you are obliged to comply with the Office of Fair Trading Guidelines on Debt Collection. I would therefore be obliged if you would provide me with an explanation as to why you are attempting to collect on an alleged debt which was disputed with Paypal prior to your first contact with me, and has yet to be resolved. Since this is considered an unfair practice and contrary to the OFT guidelines, you should consider this letter as a formal complaint, and provide me with a copy of your complaint resolution procedure. I also require you to confirm that you will now comply with the OFT guidelines, and will not attempt any further collection activity whilst the dispute is unresolved.

Should you fail to provide me with the required undertaking within 7 days, I shall report your breach of the OFT guidelines to Trading Standards and complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Take notice that I will not discuss this matter on the telephone, and all further communication must be in writing. Any further telephone calls will be perceived as harassment, and dealt with accordingly.

Yours faithfully,

Good luck with it.

Regards, Dave.

cag-end-sig.jpg

Hi George. Welcome to the CAG! :)

Firstly, this does need reporting to the police and you need to get a crime reference number that can be quoted to the likes of Robinson, Way & Co Ltd.

Also having a word with your local Trading Standards will do you no harm either...

Trading Standards Central - Trading Standards and Consumer Protection information for the UK

In the mean time, here's a letter that you can send to Robinson Way, preferably by recorded delivery...

Good luck with it.

Regards, Dave.

cag-end-sig.jpg

Hello, Sorry to hijack, Just wanted to say glad to see you posting Dave:grin: , and such excellent informative posts too:-D

• Haha 1

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

At the end of the day, theft/fraud is theft/fraud. You may have to explain the time lapse but a crime has been committed. Robinson Way will almost certainly ask for a crime number if the theft/fraud route is how you're going to deal with them.

In the mean time get that letter off to them today and find you're local TS's office. This won't go away, and could end up becoming quite serious.

Regards, Dave.