vets bills

gypsumsif

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5171 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

does anybody on here have any idea how i can complain about the amount that our vet has charged us?

it is an astronomical amount for treating a horse with colic.

i already fear it has gone to far though.

i told my wife not to pay the bill as i thought we'd been over charged, and i would complain about it.

unfortunately, i didn't get round to it/forgot/im a bloke.

that was just over a month ago. in the post today drops a summons for an on-line claim from the vet.

no letter before action, no final demands. nothing.

we're not disputing the full amount, but we get an itemised bill, so we can see what we think is a couple of very unfair charges.

since it has now come to the MCOL stage, is it too late to dispute the bill? should they of sent us an LBA letter?

its a long shot i know, but this is the place for answers.

i could really do with a little help on this one folks as the wife is in a right state about it.

tnx for the quick reply. the particulars are...

unpaid invoices for emergency veterinary goods and services **** 2007.

the claimant claims interest under section 69 of the county courts act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from ** may 2007 to **july 2007 of £6.31 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 10p

original invoice was for £410.99

after a month we got a letter saying please pay of £440.37

one month later MCOL form lands on doormat for £476.06+£50 fees

am i too late to make a complaint? the forms say i can admit part of the costs and defend the other (but i never put a complaint in early enough). i have 14 days (plus a couple more before the issue date comes).

all i need to know is, is it too late to put a defence in for this this?

we didn't dispute the bill straight away, and the vet moved very quickly onto the MCOL without giving us any sort of notice.

please don't think that because we have a couple of horses, that we are loaded and living in a big house.

my wife works up the yard that her friend owns, this is what pays the livery. and horses aren't very expensive to buy, its my wife's passion looking after these animals and vets seem to be able to charge what they wish without any sort of ombudsman or governing body to regulate their charges.

any of you with dogs or cats should easily sympathise with this.

Your claim form that you have received will give you the opportunity to defend the action. The acknowledgment of service needs to be filed within 14 days of service and the defence within 28 days of service. Do you know the deemed date of service.

Ps a vets bill of less than 500 for colic treatment seems reasonable to me but that just may be due to the area. What treatment did your horse receive. I hope its recovering well x

[quote=penguin83;1041554

Ps a vets bill of less than 500 for colic treatment seems reasonable to me but that just may be due to the area. What treatment did your horse receive. I hope its recovering well x

That's what I thought when I first read it. Had to pay over £300.- recently to have my cat treated for an abcess. It of course depends where you are, but down here in the South West things tend to be cheaper and £400.- for emergency treatment for a horse seems not too bad ? Might be worth to insure the animal in future

well tnx for the replies folks.

as i didn't dispute the bill sooner, then i think that we'll just pay it and not use that vet again, talking to people at a show last week, we're not the only ones with grievances.

the horse is fine now thank you, but i think that's more due to good old hot oats than any drugs.

as for insurance, we have all our animals covered. but once your horse has had colic, you wont get cover for colic again (according to my wife).