• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

ecobabe v BoS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6398 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I've been following this forum with interest and have decided to launch my own claim against BoS. I have 2 accounts, a current account and an easycash. The easycash one has only accrued a few charges, but the current account has gone way over overdraft and i reckon it has about £2000 in charges applied. This is what makes up most of the balance. they have passed it to a debt collection agency now. really angry because i always had a really healthy bank balance and because i've been off ill and had some problems financially, these charges have pushed it off the scale. have opened a parachute account and will transfer my easycash balance to new account. anyway how can i stop the debt on current account increasing while i do this claim and should i write to debt collection agency informing them of my claima nd that the balance they are seeking is mostly made up of unlawful charges? thanks.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome aboard.

If you have already issued your DPA request, or you are just about to, then perhaps hang fire just a little longer and get all the details together. Within a few weeks you should have a full list of charges and you will then know the precise figures that you need to quote should you decide to tackle the DCA about the existing arrears.

You will, at that point, have started your claim against the bank but you could decide to withhold payment as the amount is "in dispute" - or you could offer to continue with a reduced payment for any amount that is your debt.

We can cross that bridge later.....

Best of luck

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks for that. god it is so empowering to take charge of your finances again and to know that you're not the lowest of the low for having money problems. All I can say is God help them! cos I am all guns blazing now. I have been in the depths of misery for several months now because I couldn't see a way out that didn't include going bankrupt or something involving debt management. but now i will sort out what i actually owe and what these theivin gits have added on. Thank you for replying.

help please. I recently remortgaged my house to get my debts etc sorted out. I didn't have a huge amount left but it was in my easycash account. I had a £2,000 overdraft on my current account and charges amounting to ~£2000. so in total the balance was £4000 o/drwn. I had sent letter to bank re current account expressing my concern that majority of balance was charges, 2 weeks ago. got letter back usual nonsense, we're sorry etc...but bugger off. Was just about to send DPA and start the ball rolling. today checked account so I could pay some bills and £4,000 has been taken from my easy cash account. I phoned and tried to be really professional, told them that money had been stolen from account and they had til end of day to return it or I was going to police, told them I had not authorised it or been informed it was happening and that it was unlawful. poor boy on customer services tryingh to explain to me why they had done it...i said that i wasn't discussing it and it was to be returned by end of day. then transferred(eventually) to head office who kept saying they would explain why.........my response was i don't want explanation just have it done. they then went to speak to their boss and I was cut off... by accident i'm sure. but what the hell can i do i'm trying to be cool but i am absolutely stuffed. anybody please help!! i read on site somewhere that someone else had it done and they held firm and got it back that day. but i need to know what i can say that'r right.....help please

I don't know I'm afraid but you must be fuming there's no way they should just take your money!

I'm sure one of the mods will be along soon to help you!

Good luck xx

NatWest - Settled in full 22/05/06

RBS- Prelim sent 9/05/06 £1,147

£500 offer 27/05/06, rejected 30/05/06

LBA sent 25/05/06 :razz:

MCOL 15/06/06

Defence received 20/07/06

Settled in full 01/09/06 wahey!!!!!!!!!

This might be relevant, or not, however...Several times when I have been late paying my credit card (LTSB) it states on the 'slap hand' letter that if I don't pay within a certain time frame they will take the monies due from any other accounts I hold with them (we have a joint current account), does it refer to this type of action in any of their correspondence with you?

Bank of Scotland round 1: £740 + costs settled, still sore over the 8% grrr

Bank of Scotland round 2: £629 +101.15 interest +£39 costs settled.

not that i'm aware of. i telephoned OFT and was advised to phone consumer direct they advised me to phone banking ombudsman who said that the bank can do it...and it comes under a "commercial decision" i asked what legislation that came under and was advised that it didn't!!! no legislation governed it.....i thought we lived in Great Britain not timbuktoo....surely to god there must be legislation that commercial decisions are enshrined in? help please before i expire!

i had written to the bank disputing the charges on the account before they did this, they had written back their usual bull.

help looking for a thread that i read about bank taking money out of one account and putting it in another without authority, need to find it cos the poster got them to put it back. they've done it to me today for a closed account and i need to fix it. so i need to find thread

Hi Ecobabe,

What a nightmare! Aint is weird but when dealing with your bank usually they stipulate that they cannot do anything for anyone without your written consent - why doesn't it apply to this? Hopefully someone in the know will answer you soon.

xx

not that i'm aware of. i telephoned OFT and was advised to phone consumer direct they advised me to phone banking ombudsman who said that the bank can do it...and it comes under a "commercial decision" i asked what legislation that came under and was advised that it didn't!!! no legislation governed it.....i thought we lived in Great Britain not timbuktoo....surely to god there must be legislation that commercial decisions are enshrined in? help please before i expire!

i had written to the bank disputing the charges on the account before they did this, they had written back their usual bull.

Have you actually said to them that "this amount is in dispute"? If so, they cannot do ANYTHING to recover the amount until the dispute is resolved.... NOTHING.

P.S. The Banking Ombudsman is run by bankers. Expect no help there.

i wrote a letter 2 weeks ago before i found this forum saying that i was concerned at the excessive charges and asked for a breakdown. they wrote to me with their usual bull and said that i had 8 weeks to respond or they would consider i was satisfied.

Write them a letter stating that as you are engaged in litigation concerning a large portion of this amount, that the amount is "in dispute".

In the meantime, if they have not credited your account by tonight, I'm sure someone will be along with some advice as to how to word a letter to them. I saw the thread you're referring to and I cannot for the life of me remember who it was...

I have read that thread too and cant find it - I have been looking for you this morning ecobabe - all I can find is one by ttaisia... i will try to find the other again now..

Hope you sort it out and/or get some good input from someone knowledgeable

xx

If they do recredit it today or soon then immediately withdraw it to another account at another instution.

You really have to push the angle that a considerable amount of the overdraft was in disputed charges.

thank you all so much for your encouragement. it looks like i have resolved it. i posted this in another thread as well that i was on cos people need to be aware that it could happen to them...god help them!

-OMG!!! hopefully it's resolved. at about 2.30pm when BoS hadn't phoned me back i called them and asked to be put through to HQ, explained situation and calls this morning. so telebanking rep checked account and put me through. However he didn't put me through to HQ, rather he put me through to Blair, Oliver & Scott the banks agents, aparently the account had been passed to them. However i had written to BoS on 31 may before blair etc had been in touch with me. my letter from bank was dated 8th june, it didn't actually say i was in dispute and i hadn't used those words in my letter but they did say if i hadn't been back in touch after 8 weeks they would assume i was satisfied!!!!

i told blair, oliver about my letter and banks response, in actual fact the woman dealing with it "shona" was very helpful and pleasant and couldn't believe that this had happened. long story short, after taking the letter into a BoS locally who confirmed it's exitence to Blair etc.. they are refunding full amount within 24 hrs. however only because of confusion between bank and blair, oliver, scott-they didn't know bank had been corresponding with me about the charges-so the message is IF YOU HAVE 2 ACCOUNTS IN A BANK AND HAVE OUTSTANDING AMOUNTS IN ONE OF THEM, GET YOUR MONEY OUT OF THERE ASAP OR IT WILL BE RAIDED. alternatively get a letter off to the bank disputing the charges now, recorded delivery. i had both letters and receipt for recorded delivery letter. i can breath again...........or maybe i should wait til money is in account. hope people read this and are able to avoid this happening.

Glad to hear it is sorted - I wish there was some sort of history button on this site so I could have just looked at that to find the thread i now cant find. Maybe there is and I dont know it, if anyone knows let me know.

Anyway glad you will not now be expiring ecobabe!!

xx

yeah i think it's called 'offset' .....the Halifax done exactly the same with me.....

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU IN REPLYING TO YOUR POST, CAN YOU CLICK ON THE SCALES AND LET ME KNOW

Halifax - Total £2116 - Plus approx £300 in interest plus fees for 3 small claims...settled all within 3 weeks of claim.....Now for the mortgage.....

Clydesdale Bank - Credit Card - Sent Data Protection Act - Awaiting statements

Clydesdale Bank - Current Account - Awaiting statements

it's still not been returned yet but they did say 24hrs. i do think they wil return it cos the solicitor (banks) was shocked when she realised that i was disputing the account and money had been taken. but interestingly the telebanking advisor was aware of the whole bank charges being unlawful and people taking legal action. with sneering disdain he told me that only credit card charges were being successfully challenged. i would still like to know about this "commercial decision" malarkey and not being regulated by legislation. anyone know about it.. One thing it has made me do is get my finger out so my Data Protection Act form was sent registered post at 4pm today for both my accounts. i am also sending a CCA to Blair, Oliver & Scott. don't know whether it applies to them or not but if it it inconveniences them in any way (i believe that they are bank of scotland anyway) then good. next question, what is the quickest way to get your money out of your account? if i transfer it by telebanking tonight/tommorrow is it then gone out of that account? anyway i've chilled with the help of a bottle of wine and a bar of chocolate now!! so apologies for hi jacking this thread i was completely panicked this morning and was desperately looking for advice.

does anyone know about these. apparently banks are able to take money out of your account to off set other account under "commercial decions". according to financial ombudsmen they are not governed by legislation!!! i had £4000 taken out of one account to off set another account i was disputing. fortunately for me they are going to refund them because i am "in dispute", but after pulling myhair out and speaking to everyone apartf rom the queen, the financial ombudsman told me that it was a "commercial decision" and that it didn't fallunder any legislation. does anyone know anything about this cos it's scary!

It does sound, sort of, correct. Even though you have multiple accounts, they are all owned by you. If the bank transfers money from one account to another to offset a debt, they aren't really guilty of doing anything wrong. They certainly haven't "stolen" your money, because you are no worse off... Not good practice you could argue, but netting off is common in other walks of life; if you owe your mate £20 and he owes you £30, you could hardly complain if he gave you only £10 to settle the debt now could you?

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

Three threads merged - please do not duplicate questions.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

It is a grubby process that the banks often use called "offsetting", and unfortunately it is perfectly legal. I presume that the account they have raided was paying interest - in which case make sure you add that to your eventual claim.

Sorry that this does not resolve your immediate problem - but it is yet another example of how underhand and nasty banks can be.

Guest Lueeze

Honestly the BEST thing to do, the second you get that money back in your account, it to take a stroll to them and withdraw it over the counter, then go along with some paperwork to another bank and open an account asap.

Honestly dont leave it in there, and I wouldnt trust the bank to action a wire ect if the amount is in "dispute". Just go get it, yes you will have £4k on your person but better that than them having it IMHO!

with the greatest respect, fivelaws, i don't owe the bank £4000! so why would that be fair, and it's not the same as owing your mate £30 and you owing him £20. would you be happy if your debt to him was doubled and he took it out your wallet ? i don't think so.