Does yesterday's announcement affect unfair credit card complaints submitted to FOS?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5235 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've submitted my complaint to the Financial Ombudsman service, there's no mention on their site as to whether the suspension of dealing with bank charge complaints pending the outcome of a test case will affect people like me too, who are trying to reclaim credit card charges rather than bank charges.

I think this test case will cover all aspects of banking. Have a read of this thread Oft test case: what this means for you

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to the Consumer Forums

Free advice and support to to solve your consumer problems.

You will soon discover what a friendly place this is and get lots of hints about standing up to consumer bullies or dealing with other consumer rights.

Which guide to the Sale Of Goods Act

New advice guide explains credit card rights

Help the CAG!!

Make a donation

ARE YOU A VICTIM OF COWBOY BUILDERS?

Has your RBS account been transferred to Santander?

Forum rules. Please read these before posting

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CAG LIBRARY!! IT HAS LOADS OF USEFUL STUFF IN THERE. CLICK HERE

LATEST NEWS: OFT LAUNCH HIGH COURT TEST CASE26th July 2007

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to the Consumer Forums

Free advice and support to to solve your consumer problems.

You will soon discover what a friendly place this is and get lots of hints about standing up to consumer bullies or dealing with other consumer rights.

Which guide to the Sale Of Goods Act

New advice guide explains credit card rights

Help the CAG!!

Make a donation

ARE YOU A VICTIM OF COWBOY BUILDERS?

Has your RBS account been transferred to Santander?

Forum rules. Please read these before posting

PLEASE CHECK OUT THE CAG LIBRARY!! IT HAS LOADS OF USEFUL STUFF IN THERE. CLICK HERE

Hi on BBC news this morning test case is regarding unortharised overdraft charges not credit card charges which are under a seperate OFT investigation

all the best dpick:lol:

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

The law surrounding the reclaim of the Full credit card charges is exactly the same as for bank charges (ie Unfair Consumer Contract Terms Regulations 1999), therefore, I suspect there will be a full moritorium on the processing of claims depending the outcome of the test case to be heard in October.

The test case is regarding bank overdraft charges so credit card claims aren't affected by the OFT announcement and should continue as normal. :)

Can't find what you're looking for? Please have a look at Michael Browne's

A-Z Guide

*** PLEASE NOTE ***

I do not answer queries via PM. If you send me a PM, please include a link to your thread - any advice I am able to offer will be on your thread.

Part of OFT announcement states clearly currant account unauthorised overdrafts nothing is mentioned regarding credit card agreements though there is a separate investigation into credit card charges it is not connected in any way to this test case.

dpick

cannot find it A to Z

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Halifax :D

Paid in full £2295

MBNA:mad: 20/03/2008 settled in full out of court

Capital One:D

07/07/2007 Capital one charges paid in full £1666

19/01/2008 recovered PPI £2216 + costs

Littlewoods :-D

12/08/2007 write off £1176.10 debt.

JD Williams charges refunded in full £640

The law which is being tested is Section 5 of the Unfair Consumer Contract Terms Regulations - (ie are these charges an Account Charge or are they a penalty) whether bank overdrafts OR credit card charges the same law is being tested, therefore, if you go to court over credit card charges you'll be saying the charge is unfair under the UCCT Regulations and I suspect a judge will simply stay the case awaiting the outcome of the test case !!!!

The law is not being tested. Whats being tested is if and how the law - specifically the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 - applies to the terms of the account contracts which permits the banks to levy 'overdraft charges'.

A credit card has a completely different type of contract with different terms, none of which are being tested in the OFT case. The UTCCR's, and also the common law principles, can only be applied to the specific terms of contract in each case, and not broadly.

Credit cards, mortgage charges, catalogue charges, even business account charges are not being tested in the OFT case, and therefore will not be effected by any stays or "waivers".

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Although with credit cards there is a clear breach of contract and could possibly proceed. Current account charges are slightly different in that the banks argue there is no breach of contract. Some banks T & Cs state that the customers must not exceed their limit other banks do not place such a prohibition.

The law is not being tested. Whats being tested is if and how the law - specifically the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 - applies to the terms of the account contracts which permits the banks to levy 'overdraft charges'.
What about a case against 'overdraft charges' base purely on the common law?- ie a case such as

a) I have a contract with my bank

b) I broke it

c) They charged me as a result more than it cost them

I think you could make such a case without any reference to the UTCCR1999.

And why can't the OFT get things right?! THeir previous forrays into this area concentrated on transparency of charges, now it's fairness (effectively). What about lawfulness?

Steven

Using CAG Toolbar will generate much needed income - Download Here

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

GE Money Won unconditionally May 2007

NatWest Won unconditionally August 2007

Brighthouse Won unconditionally August 2007

Goldfish Won unconditionally April 2008 (including CI on the basis of Sempra)

Clydesdale Financial Services (now BPF) Won unconditionally February 2008

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.

What about a case against 'overdraft charges' base purely on the common law?- ie a case such as

a) I have a contract with my bank

b) I broke it

c) They charged me as a result more than it cost them

I think you could make such a case without any reference to the UTCCR1999.

And why can't the OFT get things right?! THeir previous forrays into this area concentrated on transparency of charges, now it's fairness (effectively). What about lawfulness?

The penalty at common law angle is also being tested.

Here - The Office of Fair Trading: Questions and answers for OFT test case announcement 26 July 2007

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Thanks Gary

Steven

Using CAG Toolbar will generate much needed income - Download Here

Confused by Simple Interest? Confounded by Compound Interest? Read my Interest Tutorial

My Wins

GE Money Won unconditionally May 2007

NatWest Won unconditionally August 2007

Brighthouse Won unconditionally August 2007

Goldfish Won unconditionally April 2008 (including CI on the basis of Sempra)

Clydesdale Financial Services (now BPF) Won unconditionally February 2008

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. Do not take any legal action on my advice alone. Almost everything I know concerning the law I learned from this site.

Please note, I will not give advice by PM. Please send a link to your thread and I will do my best to answer there.