• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

~~## NEW POC for LLoyds ##~~

Tigerlily.2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please can we have a revised POC for business claims

Many thanks

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

jojn72,

I am not so sure, when I came on CAG months ago I read somewhere that what you said is correct, but then since then I have told otherwise. Here is one clue I accidentally sent the wrong prlim letter to Andover and got a very quick reply informing me that I was a business and cannot rely on the UUCTR's; so I think the latter may be correct - (don't really know though) BUT I hope I am a business as my claim will not be affected by the OTC case :)

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

jojn72,

I am not so sure, when I came on CAG months ago I read somewhere that what you said is correct, but then since then I have told otherwise. Here is one clue I accidentally sent the wrong prlim letter to Andover and got a very quick reply informing me that I was a business and cannot rely on the UUCTR's; so I think the latter may be correct - (don't really know though) BUT I hope I am a business as my claim will not be affected by the OTC case :)

Peter - I sent the correct prelim to Lloyds regarding my sole trader a/c and they still sent me a letter back saying I couldn't quote UUCTRs, so don't let that put you off. As long as you don't quote in your POC you will be OK. Incidentally Lloyds have paid out on two business a/cs at defence stage with me. Good luck - Debs

debs - Hi,

I did by the way then send the correctly letter and I now have the correct POC's so I am going ahead now as a business - which by all accounts I have read here should end up going through the court system - well fingers crossed it does ????

Peter Anderson

Does anybody know if the stays that are being put on current account claims will also apply to business account claims?

We were about to make a business claim (sole trader) as we have already sent the LBA - should we go ahead? Any advice appreciated!

Apparently as of Friday the courts (well Bristol anyway) had not received any directions in these cases.

I am also a sole trader and the advice given here so far is to carry on as normal as we are not relying on the UTCCR's - earlier today (sad isn't it that we are both wasting good pub time sorting out our bank problems) I found this on CAG (I saved it into Word so I cannot credit who wrote it, but i 'think' it was photoman)

Here is his DRAFT letter which a) may answer your question & b) you may need it when your judge orders a stay [iMVHO - I think a lot of judges will order a stay on all claims because once the bulk of claims which I suspect are private accounts they will not be looking into the fact that penalty charge recovery are relying on different legislation:-

Dear Sir/Madam

You -v- XXXXX Bank Plc

Claim Number: *******

I write in relation to the matters as detailed above, and specifically the order of a stay in proceedings made by district judge XXXXX on **/**/**.

The basis upon which a stay has been granted is with regards to awaiting the outcome of the ongoing "test case" currently being taken by the OFT against several banks.

I respectfully request that this stay be lifted. This is upon the contention, that as the central focus and grounds for the OFT’s case is to determine whether or not the charges are subject to the test of reasonableness, as required under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (UTCCR 99), then it is not of any consequence to the basis of my claim in this case.

As a Business account claimant my claim did not include any reference to nor make any reliance upon the UTCCR. As such, it would serve no purpose to delay proceedings in order to await the outcome of a case that would have no bearing or relevance upon this case.

As such I respectfully request that the current stay be lifted so that this case may proceed without further delay.

Yours faithfully

• Haha 1

Peter Anderson

Brucey,

From everything I have read I am almost certain, (although I have also read that it may vary from court to court) that for private accounts the whole thing will be in lock-down mode; however the advice seen here is to continue as normal.

OK the test case thingy will take ages, but the OFT says it has a very strong case. So, a) OFT wins, and I think it will - then there will be a MASSIVE influx of new cases - the banks already can hardly cope with claims now - and your case will be in the 'new' pile if you do not act now - so carry on as normal. Situation - b) highly unlikely in IMVHOP that the High Court will rule in favour of the banks, bearing in mind that other legislation applies in case-stated law :D

Peter Anderson

Would Lloyds / SC&M be allowed to apply for a stay in cases where they have already missed the 14-day deadline for submitting any documents to "all other parties". Haven't they already, by doing this, given up their right to defend?

1 is the total of your charges

2 is Overdraft interst the bank has charged you on those charges ( If you are not claiming this, just delete it)

3. First amount is the 8% interest total from your spreadsheet schedule of charges.

Daily rtae is just your charges \(+OD interest if claimed) x 0.00022

eg £495 x 0.00022= £0.11p

I've changed the part of it to make it work for Contractual Interest, any thoughts anyone please!!!! :confused:

16. The Bank wrongly debited the Account with Charges totalling some £1,502.00 between 03 January 2001 and 09 February 2007, including sums in respect of Card Payments. Particulars appear from Schedule 2.

17. On 2nd March 2007 the Client demanded repayment of the sums wrongly debited.

18. The defendant has repaid the sum of £750.

AND the Claimant claims:

(1) a declaration that the sums totalling £3,135.70 have wrongly been debited from the Account

2) The return of the amounts debited in respect of penalty charges and interest in the sum of £1,881.25;

3) Contractual interest at a rate of 34.9% per annum, compounded daily from the date of each transaction to 02/08/07 of £1,254.45, as set out in the attached schedule of charges.

4) Court costs of £120.

You'd be well advised not to claim contractual interest tbh.

What basis upon which do you intend to claim it? There is now a precedent against it on the basis of mutuality & reciprocity which means you won't get it.

There is another way to claim it, but it's risky and requires a full understanding of the arguments involved and a reasonable knowledge of the law of restitution. Even then I'd say that against Lloyds in particular your chances of success are very low.

With the current climate as it is at the moment, I really would just concentrate on getting your charges and the 8% back if I were you.

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Thanks Gary, you make complete sense, I'd be petrified to stand up in court and fully explain why i should hvae CI anyway.

In this climate the straight forward way is the best.

Thanks for your help :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi zoot, I have just been reading the POC you have complied and i think it is excellent. thank you for taking the time to do it for us.

I do have one question.

I had to withdraw my claim for SAR against the banks, yesterday which really annoyed me after getting so far. I honestly think the bank are deliberately withholding this information from me and thereby concealing the evidence of the true costs of chargers that have taken from my account pre 6 yrs.

Based on my 3 most recent court claims all off which went to court and i won. I would now like to make an estimated claim which could end up in the multi track. what I want to know is, would I be able to doctored these POCs and include a para on the litigation act to be able for me to use it for a estimated claim.

I am awere these sort of claims are not easy to proceed on but I would very much like to give it a try.

I have all the evidence relating to their non compliance. I also believe that I have enough evidence to prove the probability of these chargers being deducted from my account also I am sure the banks themselves have all this evidence but are concealing it from me. I am sick and tired of this bank and they way I have been treated by them and I would really like to have a go at this.

could you offer me any advice on whether or not you POC could be changed a little to incorporate what I would like to do.

I really would appreciate and advice and help you could give me relating to this or any other member with legal or sound knowledge of these issue. I must add that my claim would be very large and I am aware of the costs factors involved if I was to lose my case.

If possible I would like to started ASAP incase any agreements are made between OFt and the banks which would wipe out claims outside of the limitation period.

I look forward to hearing all yours and members cpmments on this subject

:x if i have been off any help to you please click my scales

cases won

28th July Single Claim for bank charges against LTSB, £6,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement

18th July Joint Claime against LTSB £7,800 WON with CI to date of Judgement.

gaz for the busines accounts you may be pleased to see a new poc on there - start at the back of the thread and work forward

It's here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/68191-claiming-business-account-lets-34.html

Peter Anderson