• Tweets

• I had a parcel that I needed shipped from Borehamwood WD6 to Edinburgh EH14 that was 12in x 12in x 12in & weighed just shy of 9kg. It was accepted at a Hermes Drop off point on the 9th Sept 2020 on a 48hr DELIVERY & on the 10th Sept showed as :On its way....12:59 - Thu 10 Sep...We've got your parcel and we're processing it for you. As of yet ( 1500hrs on 25/09/2020 ) I have still not received my parcel. This parcel was a wedding gift hamper of 'unknown goodies' so pretty important that I had it before 13th September 2020 The value of the parcel was £150.00 so I am not best pleased that it was lost by Hermes, as it was a Wedding gift I then felt obliged to give the Bride & Groom the cash to buy whatever they desired as the parcel was delayed. If the parcel was to have later turned up I would have still allowed them to keep both gifts, what annoys me is the lack of clarity that Hermes can offer me, I can't understand how a 12in squared box isn't traceable? ( maybe a member of staff has 'hidden it' for later enjoyment ). any assistance in this matter would be good because between Hermes & Packlink I am hitting 'brick walls'   Cheers, Peter  
    • All sent this morning registered delivery  let’s see what happens now 🤷🏼‍♀️  thanks dx for the above  MJ 
    • I am not sure what you are expecting. This is nothing new, it is just that the person concerned caught the incident on camera, that makes it newsworthy, apparently. Simply the EA fell foul of the regulation which defines "relevant premises". I can think of several judgments which agree with this, and found against the Bailiff..: 6)Otherwise premises are relevant if the enforcement agent reasonably believes that they are the place, or one of the places, where the debtor— (a)usually lives, or (b)carries on a trade or business. The bailiff may call at relevant premises, this may or may not correspond to any residential information suppled by the creditor or his office, the provision is permitted under his general powers.   The point is that the EA must have a reasonable belief that the person lives or works there. Once the EA acts outside the procedure authorised by his writ(Schedule( 12), he is open to actions under common law or those rules applicable under other legislation.   Problems only arise when people take this incident to prove something that it doesn't.     There is no disputing that the bailiff and the company behaved atrociously, and there is no denying that DCBL makes a habit of this kind of thing    
    • I feel a snotty something coming on. Whatever it is it's not Batflu 😂😂   It was an ANPR capture. ..... SMILE 🖕.....   Is this enough or should I write a proper defense??   A lack of contractual obligation makes your demands spurious, please refer back to your client and desist this harassment
  • Our picks

• @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help

I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later

I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute

I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today

I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.

I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .

I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !

I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !

i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

Flight BA0117/23 June 2007 Cancellation Compensation?

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 4406 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

Looking for some advice on whether we have a claim for compensation.

We turned up at the airport around 2 hours before it was due to fly. When we got to the bag drop desk, we were told that our flight had been cancelled as the first officer was sick.

They put us on a Virgin flight - 7 hours later - arrived in NY around 10 hours later than scheduled

The BA website says that it was "beyond their control" and thus compensation is due. They also said this in a written reply to our enquiry as well.

Is this correct - shouldn't they have arrangements in place to cover flight crew sickness as best as possible, obviously within limits.

Is there an ombudsman we can escalate this with?

Thanks in advance for any tips/experiences.

Chris

i know how frustrating this must have been for you,

but the fact that they got you to your destination by listing you for a virgin flight, probably means that they covered themselves. presumably, they would have looked after you whilst you were stuck at the airport, food and drink vouchers etc.

flying crew, especially pilots and 1st officers, are subject to hours limitations, and although they couldn't find a replacement for your flight, there was in all probability, at least one on standby, but had been used for another flight.

not much help for you im afraid, but, think, if you had booked a charter flight you probably wouldn't have flown out till the next day!

• 2 weeks later...

Compensation would have been paid to you if you hadnt got reprotected onto another flight. Normally at BA its something like £250 Denied Boarding Compensation but thats only if you dont fly at all. 7 hours later is a delay for which you should have been given catering vouchers but thats about it. Those by the way are not policies of individual airlines they are set by IATA and CAA.

Hi,

We did get catering vouchers - but we weren't offered them. We had to go hassle the desk again.

BA has rejected our claim as they feel it is an "extraordinary event". Although confusingly they also responded to say the reason for the cancellation was due to the flight crew having insufficient rest - huh - were they just hungover and so more rest would have solved the "sickness" problem?

We've sent a letter to the Air Transport Users Council - the people who look after the EU compensation rules in the UK - to see if they agree.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris

were they just hungover and so more rest would have solved the "sickness" problem?
No, minimum rest between duties for aircrews is laid down in law and there is no discretion to shorten it. I trust your reference to recovering from a hangover is tongue-in-cheek.

Lloyds TSB, Total Charges £900, Claim Filed for £1379 - Settled

Sainsbury's Bank Credit Card, Total Charges £90 - Settled.

Hi,

My comment was tongue in cheek. I am just disappointed that BA mixed up the reason for the cancellation. They say its sickness on the day, but in the last letter, they say its due to insufficient rest. We did get a letter saying they have a lot of complaints at the moment and so things were taking longer than usual to be handled - perhaps it also means they are mixing up the cases :(

Regards,

Chris

• 9 months later...
Hi,

We did get catering vouchers - but we weren't offered them. We had to go hassle the desk again.

BA has rejected our claim as they feel it is an "extraordinary event". Although confusingly they also responded to say the reason for the cancellation was due to the flight crew having insufficient rest - huh - were they just hungover and so more rest would have solved the "sickness" problem?

We've sent a letter to the Air Transport Users Council - the people who look after the EU compensation rules in the UK - to see if they agree.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Chris

I wonder if you received any satisfaction throught your complaint to the AUC?

I have been reading of some interesting accounts of passengers challenging the purported defence offered by British Airways when cancelling flights and refusing compensation under EC Regulation 261/2004 relying upon crew sickness as an "extraordinary circumstances" defence.

There appears to be similar cases which some passengers are challenging through court proceedings-see Battle with BA! - Flight Mole Forum

There are also many other cases of passengers challenging the defence offered in cases of technical problems with aircraft. This may be worth a look

Hi,

BA did offer £50 vouchers per person, for use on non-discounted/scheduled flights - and so are worthless - unless I want to pay more for my flight for the privilege of using BA.

The ATUC eventually came back and said they had re-queried things with BA who said the same things and so they accepted what BA told them.

I am not going to take this further, the inconvenience was not that bad and life's too short.

Have fun,

Chris

• 3 months later...

If you don't think staff sickness is an acceptable reason not to pay compensation could you please add your names to a Downing Stret epetition. Because I'm new, I'm not allowed to post the URL, but if you go to your search engine and type "downing street epetition" the top link will take you to the home page. This page has its own search engine. Type in "airline sickness" and the appropriate petition appears at the top.