• Tweets

• The digital bank has introduced three new plans - Extra, Perks and Max - replacing its existing Plus and Premium plans for new customers.View the full article
    • Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.  
    • Frpm David Frost and Robert Jenrick: 'Conservatives must show we respect the votes in 2016 and 2019 and not give the Opposition the chance to undo the benefits of leaving the EU'   Sweep away the Brexit gloom – or Labour will unravel a huge gain ARCHIVE.PH archived 22 Apr 2024 05:47:50 UTC  
    • Please please help we were miss sold full fibre by EE July 22  Install couldn’t go ahead no equipment sent and no. Survey it was hell  foind out no full fibre in road so we had to go back to cooper no choice we involved. Ceo and they put in a man from customer resolution s  he was vile he told me I had to go to engineers  something very odd about the ex resolution s in bt basically they took my drive up said they Would put ducting in ready for full fibre we have got £ 40 for a hours upon hours phones stress and more told to go to ombudsman  then bill was £35 we called twice told it was that price as they had treated us appalling two weeks later all sky package gets pulled we call again our bill goes to 165 the next two weeks was hell trying to get yo bottom why it’s off our package it was all on in the end I spent a day on the phone  341 mins was the call anyway I got to the bottom it was this resolution man coveting up the other issue another deadlock  to cover it all up  they hide data  ee did so couldn’t get the miss sell in writing I have now only from sept  Basically now we tried getting full fibre and they have found my drive had to be taken up again which has sunk .  The engineer has placed the wrong ducting again under my drive and need s to be taken to again apparently and the pipe sticks up middle of the drive near gate not behind look so odd it’s a big as a drain pipe open to water and it’s below touching the electrical cables to hot tub . I was sent a letter from the ex resolution to say I had stopped the work  I haven’t  it’s so sadistic she covering up for her mate in that team as the orginal install he didn’t check it had been done correctly  I took to Twitter and posted on open reach they ignored me then after 3 calls of two weeks they sent a engineer bt ignored me ceo emails blocked tag on Twitter unanswered then we get someone from twitter send a engineer he written report to say it’s dangerous since we have  had a  letter to say our problem can not be resolved  then a email to say sorry we are leaving and we can’t get into our account Bt will not talk to us ofcom tells us nothing they can do Citzens advice said go to the police  we can’t go back to virgin due so mass issue with them only option is sky  but point is they make out we have canceled we haven’t we have this mess on our drive dangeous work we are in hell  it’s like she covering up for this collegue it’s all very odd I am disabled and they like played mentaly with me open reach say bt resolved the issue no they have not  I recon they have terminated us making our we have  to hide it from mgt  Help it’s hell I don’t sleep we have 29 may we have tried  calling they just ignore me  at first they are so lovely as they say I am then they go to nnamager and say we can’t say anything to you end call  Scared police are rubbish I need help even typing is so painfull  Thankyou  anyone hello be so grateful     
    • There's a thread somewhere about someone sending the baillifs against Wizzair that is quite hilarious. I would love to see someone do the same to Ryanair. Question is, should you be the one to take that role. You are entitled to the £220, if your flight was from the UK. If it was TO the UK I suppose it is more of a grey area... though the airlines I know have been using £220 as standard. Not that surprising for Ryanair, the worst cheapskates in the universe, to go for the lower amount, and if you forward this to the CEO he will probably have a jolly good laugh and give his accountants a verbal bonus. After all he's the one who said and I paraphrase "F*** our customers, they'll fly with us again anyway". While we would all love to see Ryanair get wooped in court again, I have to join my fellow posters in thinking it's not worth the hassle for (hypothetically) £7 and not sure it will expedite the payment either. It's already an achievement that you got them to accept to pay.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5839 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I really don't want to appear negative but the FSA are not going to lift their claim waiver on the basis that a bunch of consumers don't like. It just isn't gonna happen. It's part of the whole Bank/FSA/OFT agreement.

The FSA are afterall funded by the banks and are hardly likely to tear up

the deal.

Moving on a bit, assuming the OFT win the UTCCR issue, the banks will have to disclose charge costs to the OFT to calculate a fair charge. I think this will be the biggest sticking point to a resolution and the most time consuming. As only the banks hold the information it goes without saying that they'll be selective in what they hand over.

And it's no coincidence that Angela Knight has started throwing in stuff like ''account reviews'', ''credit checks'' and ''judgements'' she says the

banks have to make every time someone defaults

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

crfx250,

If the FSA receive enough of an increased workload and it is because they are a limited company then they will incur increased overheads which they will want to avoid, so consumer contact should not be dismissed. If nothing else it is more publicity for the consumer and hopefully more claims and therfore more emphasis on the banks to resolve the matter quickly.

What the banks do have in there favour is in the case of a ruling that £500m has to be refunded or whatever the figure be, they will have a strong argument not to release that amount of cash in to the economy all at once.So more delay.

This ruling is just for the link with UTCCR issue, then an appeal or two and then the next issue to clarify each kind of charge that has been taken.Then more appeals etc. I reckon this is how they will delay things further.

This is the very first step in what could be a lengthy process, unless the consumer makes it known that certain interim decisions are not acceptable. The waiver decision is going to be revisited so a campaign to overturn this sould be launched. If consumers do complain and the waiver is not overturned then this will only serve to demonstrate that

1) the OFT/FSA and the banks are too cosy

2) the OFT has no power or intention to represent the consumer effectivley

What a great opportunity for credit unions to take a market share!

If consumers do complain and the waiver is not overturned then this will only serve to demonstrate that

1) the OFT/FSA and the banks are too cosy

2) the OFT has no power or intention to represent the consumer effectivley

But we know this! It's been demonstrated countless times! Another demonstration of it has has no value!

If the FSA receive enough of an increased workload and it is because they are a limited company then they will incur increased overheads which they will want to avoid

But the FSA is funded by the banks! The banks have trillions. Do you seriously think the FSA is going to change it's policy for the sake of a few stamps and a fob off letter?

90% of the UK banks are involved in this test case and the other 10% have agreed to stand by the outcome.

The banks, FSA and the OFT are fully aware that for the banks to make up for lost revenue by not charging its customers unauthorised overdraft charges they need time. Time to implement new charges, make its money in other ways.

The OFT know the banks are in the wrong, but they can't expect the banks to just hold their hands up and stop charging people overnight without having something else in place to recoup their lost revenue.

So don't expect too many supprises, the FSA have the ability to lift the waiver, but that is only if it feels the 90% of the banks are taking too much time getting this resolved.

All the players in this case are already aware of the outcome, this is simply the best way to resolve it. When you think about it, it all makes sense. How else could you expect this whole situation to be resolved once and for all?

Thats my simple view

Yes but if 500,000 consumers request something, are ignored then the 500,000 consumers are well placed to state that they are being ignored by an organisation that is supposed to be on the consumer side.

The point is to make it clear to all that they are in cahoots.They will not want this made clear, so will want to avoid it. This can be avoided, albeit temporarily, by removal of the waiver.

The FSA are also in a position where they need to be seen to be doing something.

Just my opinions and based on experience with the notoriously ambigious FSA guidance.

Yes but if 500,000 consumers request something, are ignored then the 500,000 consumers are well placed to state that they are being ignored by an organisation that is supposed to be on the consumer side.

The point is to make it clear to all that they are in cahoots.They will not want this made clear, so will want to avoid it. This can be avoided, albeit temporarily, by removal of the waiver.

The FSA are also in a position where they need to be seen to be doing something.

Just my opinions and based on experience with the notoriously ambigious FSA guidance.

Agreed, but i think we should see how this waiver thing pans out, the next few weeks should tell.

I wonder how the banks would be affected if they just returned ALL the bank charges they have charged customers for the past 6 years tommorrow?

How would that affect the countries banks? We all assume they have so much money it wouldn't make a dent in their pockets. But is that correct? We are talking about a vast sum of money here.

Damage limitation i think is one of the key factors here, for the benefit of the country perhaps.

quick question folks... Im in court with abbey on the 24th and I'm expecting the notification of a stay any day now after this.

My question is that unless I've read this wrong this whole OFT thing is about the service charge arguement. If thats true then in their defence sent to me abbey have admitted I breached the contract and are only argueing about whether the charge reflects their costs. Surely as they have done this if the OFT case is about the 'service ' thing it has no relevence on the abbey defence or any of the other banks who have already lodged the 'breach of contract defence'.

After all that was a sworn statement and surely they can't say ' Oh yes we forgot it is a service'.

Equally if I have got it wrong and its all about 'do the charges amount to unfair penalties for breaches' then LLoyds must have shot them selves in the foot as they claim it's a service charge. So surely we can go after them under Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 only.

I have a case with lloyds as well and they are about to get given a court date

As I said I may have read the OFT wrong.

Any help needed please as I expect to hear from the court soon in the light of the above and want to fight the application for a stay, if it arrives, as hard as I can...:(

geoff

Finlander, I think you have a good point there. This first argument between the OFT & The bankers is ' are the charges unlawful or not? The banks say it is for a service, Abbey say it is for a breach, therefore Abbey must then prove the actual cost to them to prove they are not making a profit. In this case, there should be no reason for Abbey to get permission for a stay?

I was about to send my first letter to the bank about charges , would i now not be able to do so because of this test case.

Yes, there's nothing at all to stop you from getting the ball rolling by sending in your SAR and working out what you've been charged. While you're waiting for them to reply (they have 40 days) follow developments on here and hopefully a clearer picture will develop over the coming weeks. Good luck!

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

Hi.

I was about to send my first letter to the bank about charges , would i now not be able to do so because of this test case.

Rosey

Carry on regardless. There is nothing stopping you. Nothing has been decided yet, and may take some time. How long, nobody yet knows.

It is important still to get your claims in and follow the normal schedule.

This will put you near the front of the queue once matters are resolved and resume.

You really ought to start your own thread, so yourself and others can then follow your claim, and respond more specifically.

You are not likeley to get specific answers to your questions by posting on other threads such as this related to other issues.

Good luck and best regards

PM

• Haha 1

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

I've followed this thread right through and have formed the following opinion.

1. The test case is in relation to the UTCCR - nothing else

2. The banks are buying time

3. The consumers were not informed of the test case as there may have been a security issue given the amount of people affected with any outcome

4. I will continue as usual with a TSB claim I had as a teenager

5. Any refusal from the banks to provide information will be met with a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office, FSA and OFT

6. Any application for a stay will be thoroughly challenged

7. Any delay in my claim being heard will simply result in a substantial increase in the amount of interest claimed

8. Any delay will also provide valuable time for thorough research and organisation of my current claim

9. Any judgement made in the banks favour will cause a public outcry

10. All claimants should continue as normal and fob off any excuses the banks may give

11. All claims should still be made at Court which will save any limitation issues and put pressure on all parties as the amount of claims increases

12. The banks are in big ship, and are now begging for help as they (edit) are inundated

13. I will move all of my accounts away from those I feel are trying to shy away from their responsibilities now they have been found out -(edit)

14. The next few weeks will show by the banks actions their true intentions when agreeing to this test case

15. The BBA are shipping themselves (but are the only true guardian the banks have)

16. The FSA cannot be trusted

17. The OFT bow to pressure and are underfunded

18. All correspondence between the consumer and the banks collectively will cost millions, I will be writing a letter a week

19. New claimants will be deterred

20. I will strive to keep this in the public eye in case it fizzles out

21. I will go public with my claim with the BBC

22. I will consider a complaint to the police against those ultimately responsible for setting procedure within the banks

23. I will never trust / empower these people again by allowing them to babysit any money I have and will withdraw everything in cash

24. I consider this to be the best sure investment I have ever made

Tide

Why do you doubt what i'm saying?

Do you think seven banks and two regulators woke up on thursday and

simultaneously decided to trot off to court without talking about it?

They signed an agreement, hundreds of lawyers were involved.

Hi,

I think the people here are saying if you knew details did you not put the info on the site?

Determind

Hi,

I think the people here are saying if you knew details did you not put the info on the site?

Determind

Just read more and Techspec reply being the Banks knew the plan. It just goes to show again how powerful the financial institutions are that there was not one person in the know within the Bank fraternity and lawyers who could have felt the need in their soul to pass on all this info to the consumer groups.

Hi

Does anyone know how the Banks are making the courts aware of the request for a stay? I only ask because in my case Lloyds failed to comply witht he Judges orders and serve on me and file a court a counter scedule by 4pm 23/7/07. Before the announcement i sent a completed "Request for judgement" form and my local court manager told me the judge will view my file on Monday(tomorrow)and i would probably rule in my favour. I made her aware of the ORT announcement and by 4:55pm(5 minutes before the court closed for the weekend) she was not aware of this and and received no requests from any Banks. I am hoping the Judge looks at my file tomorrow before the Banks send the court any requests. I assume if the judge in my case is aware of this test case through the media but there has been no request from the bank for the matter to be put on hold he should carry on with a judgement? Surely it is down to the Banks to request a hold on the case without relying on Judges to have read the papers etc?

How do you think the Banks will notify the courts? By fax, post etc?

I assume if the judge in my case is aware of this test case through the media but there has been no request from the bank for the matter to be put on hold he should carry on with a judgement?

Absolutely. Particularly as you are requesting a default judgment because the bank failed to comply with the judge's orders, I'd be astonished if you had any problems.

Good luck and let us know!

Lloyds TSB

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

2 March - issued

Halifax

Cap One

With regard to the banks continuing to make unlawful debits through the time of the test case, while they have the duty to respond to claims, the term "quid pro quo" may be useful.

We are NOT gonna "roll over and lay down"

**off to find some Quo to listen to on Youtoob** :D

Absolutely. Particularly as you are requesting a default judgment because the bank failed to comply with the judge's orders, I'd be astonished if you had any problems.

Good luck and let us know!

Hi

That's exactly what i wanted to hear:) Even if you were lying and only said it to make me happier:D

To be serious for one moment i think i would have a good chance espicially when the Bank have not complied witht he Judges "ORDERS"

In a supporting letter i did point this out. I don't see how the judge would grant a hold as the OFT announcement came days after Lloyds had allready failed to comply. I think the Judge may not be best pleased espicially if he thinks the bank may not have complied with his orders because they were aware of the announcement on Friday.

That's exactly what i wanted to hear:-) Even if you were lying and only said it to make me happier:grin:

As if :D :D :D

I'm sure you'll be fine. Have you got your own thread running where you can report back on what happens?

Lloyds TSB

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

2 March - issued

Halifax

Cap One

:grin:

OMG, Quo live. The memories..... First band I ever saw, 'twas on their first farewell tour in the mid 80's :rolleyes:

Lloyds TSB

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

2 March - issued

Halifax

Cap One

Hi

Does anyone know how the Banks are making the courts aware of the request for a stay? I only ask because in my case Lloyds failed to comply witht he Judges orders and serve on me and file a court a counter scedule by 4pm 23/7/07. Before the announcement i sent a completed "Request for judgement" form and my local court manager told me the judge will view my file on Monday(tomorrow)and i would probably rule in my favour. I made her aware of the ORT announcement and by 4:55pm(5 minutes before the court closed for the weekend) she was not aware of this and and received no requests from any Banks. I am hoping the Judge looks at my file tomorrow before the Banks send the court any requests. I assume if the judge in my case is aware of this test case through the media but there has been no request from the bank for the matter to be put on hold he should carry on with a judgement? Surely it is down to the Banks to request a hold on the case without relying on Judges to have read the papers etc?

How do you think the Banks will notify the courts? By fax, post etc?

Last i heard, they either will or have made an application to the master of the rolls in england, which means it will take a while for the decision to be granted. So, I'm 99% certain, you're going to be jumping for joy tomorrow:)

• Haha 1

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.