• Tweets

• I hope Lord Frost is OK. Islamists and the woke Left are uniting to topple the West ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 19:12:37 UTC  
    • Ok you are in the clear. The PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 for two reasons. The first is that in Section 9 [2][e]  says the PCN must "state that the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver and invite the keeper— (i)to pay the unpaid parking charges ". It does not say that even though it continues correctly with blurb about the driver. The other fault is that there is no parking period mentioned. Their ANPR cameras do show your arrival and departure times but as that at the very least includes driving from the entrance to the parking space then later leaving the parking space and driving to the exit. It also doesn't allow for finding a parking spot: manoeuvering into it avoiding parking on the lines: possibly having to stop to allow pedestrians/other cars to pass in front of you; returning the trolley after finishing shopping; loading children disabled people in and out of the car, etc etc.  All of that could easily add five, ten or even 15 minutes to your time which the ANPR cameras cannot take into account. So even if it was only two hours free time you could  still have been within the  time since there is a MINIMUM of 15 minutes Grace period when you leave the car park. However as they cannot even manage to get their PCN to comply with the Act you as keeper cannot be pursued. Only the driver is now liable and they do not know who was driving as you have not appealed and perhaps unwittingly given away who was driving. So you do not owe them a penny. No need to appeal. Let them waste their money pursuing you . 
    • If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5835 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I filed my claim with https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco/index.jsp after no response from my LBA and have just received a letter from LloydsTsb stating they have become involved with legal proceedings with The Office Of Fair Trading (OFT) in relation to bank charges. Furthermore they has asked the Financial Services Authority (FSA) to suspend the normal timetable for dealing with bank charges and the FSA have agreed this!

Beg my ignorance but does this mean:-

A) I just sit and wait until a decision has been agreed from the above?

B) It could take years?

C) Do i have to act on this?

You can file your claim as normal.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Hi WB, tomterm, & Zoot

Would it not have been better, and much more in the consumer's interest, for OFT to have bought an actual claim, containing all of the issues involved, to a test case? Whilst the case itself would take longer to resolve, the overall result would be much shorter.

- Adam

That's a good question and one that was put to John Fingleton quite recently by Paul Farrely MP in a Parliamentry Select Committee hearing.

I can't find the link to the minutes just now but the answer was something

like ''It is not in the OFT's remit to sponser cases''. Perhaps WB could elaborate.

I'm a bit surprised that this news hasn't been greeted with much enthusiasm:

''The FSA said yesterday that while the court case is progressing, banks can put customer claims on hold. But amid criticism that the waiver could effectively allow firms to wriggle free from handling complaints for years to come, it promised to review the waiver after two months''

Apart from the obvious, it encouragingly suggests that the waiver was not part of the deal with the banks. Although this leads to the question of why they decided on the waiver in the first place it does, at least on the face of it, look like the FSA are listening and responding to consumers. And that's got to be cause for celebration

The pertinent point here is that it is the OFT that is bringing the test case, not the FSA or the FOS. Whilst the OFT will consult and work with both FSA and FOS, as well as with the banks and, supposedly, consumer groups, the hearings will only be attended by the banks and the OFT (for now.)

The FSA waiver is geared solely with handling customer complaints and procedures. Should anyone commence a claim with an LBA, the bank "waives" all communications, and the claim finally reaches court, then, court procedure aside, the FSA waiver will be meaningless - the law of the land will always take precedence over a "get out clause" implemented by the FSA. If the court initiates procedings, and does not implement a stay, the the bank is obliged to follow the direction of the court.

However, you are right that the waiver is to be reviewed after a couple of months is good news. In practice what this will mean is that the banks and their regulators will be "testing the water," and if there is found to be an even bigger backlash, then a different set of policies can be implemented...geared to making the banks look consumer friendly.

For now people should continue with their claims, be reactive to court procedings, and wait for further announcements from the courts, from the OFT and also from within CAG.

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Advice please, this may be in wrong section but cant find the right section!

My claim for bank charges via MCOL was acknowledged yesterday by Nationwide ( or Eversheds their solicitors ?!).

They now have the 28 days , where do I stand, what should I do in this current situation? Help , am new to this!

the likelyhood is that it will be stayed at the allocation hearing unless you are on benefits

TOTALLY debt free as of 2007, Fantastic,

Letter I have already sent to my MP

28 July 2007

Dear Mr xxx,

I am writing on behalf of a large number of your constituents in this town. I write to you in the hope you can help us in our plight with the bank and in particular the FSA.

You may be aware that on 27 July 2007, the OFT commenced litigation proceedings against the big seven banks to try and establish once and for all as to whether overdraft fees are actually unlawful.

Whilst we agree with this course of action, the FSA has waived the regulation that enforces the banks to process claims of this nature until the outcome of this hearing.

This means that any claims going through the banks now for reclaiming charges (sometimes in their thousands) are put on hold and will not be processed for what could take up to two years if any appeals are allowed.

The FSA has also allowed the banks to apply for a stay in all court proceedings of this nature until the case has finished. The Banks are now to apply to the Master of Rolls to issue a blanket stay on all court hearings.

This is a ridiculous situation for all local people who are in the process of reclaiming charges. And, just to rub salt in the wounds, they have allowed the banks to keep on charging!!!

The majority of the people I have spoken to ( including myself) were not able to afford the court fees to take the claim to the next step. They have had to save every spare penny to raise the £120.00 needed so they could take the bank to court. In some cases where the claim was over £5000.00 they have had to stump up £250.00, something which was very, very hard for these people to find, considering it was the high cost of these charges that have put them in this position. Some even took out short term loans so they could take the bank to court to try and recoup some of these charges. They are now left with no claim, no compensation and hundreds of pounds out of pocket.

Although there may be a slim chance of them being able to recoup some of the court costs, the issue is that they should be allowed to continue with this claim and get their charges back, as have thousands of consumers all over the country.

To allow the banks to still charge and not allow the consumer the right to reclaim is against everything the FSA and the OFT and the FOS are supposed to stand for.

The OFT web site states :

The OFT is responsible for making markets work well for consumers. We achieve this by promoting and protecting consumer interests throughout the UK, while ensuring that businesses are fair and competitive

The FSA website states :

We have a wide range of rule-making, investigatory and enforcement powers to enable us to meet four statutory objectives summarised as one overall aim: to promote efficient, orderly and fair markets and to help retail consumers achieve a fair deal

The FOS Website states;

So when we look at a complaint, we give both sides a fair hearing.

Protecting consumer interests? - help retail consumers achieve a fair deal? Give BOTH sides a fair hearing? One word that appears in all of their statements is FAIR. How is this fair?

How can they be protecting the consumer interest by stopping them reclaiming what is rightfully theirs and still allowing the banks to charge these ridiculously high penalty charges.?

I understand that the banks disagree they are unlawful, so why have they kept paying out to consumers at the rate of around £200 million in the last 12 months? This alone should tell the FSA that the consumer has to keep claiming against the banks.

This situation alone will save the banks hundreds of millions of pounds, firstly through not paying out claims, not having to pay legal fees and more importantly, due to the Limitation Act 1980, the longer this case goes on the more they will save under the 6 yr rule of the above Act.

So, whilst this will save the banks money, the consumer goes further and further into debt by having charges still applied.

This is just the tip of the iceberg Mr xxxxx, I am sure there are many more people out there that will be destined for financial hardship as a result of this legislation. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of consumers all over the country who have started their claims and some may also be made bankrupt by allowing the banks to still charge. All this caused by a regulator who is supposed to have the consumer in their best interest.

I would like to see how they explain that this benefits them. The problem with all this is, it was all done behind closed doors for months without anyone knowing except the banks, the FSA , the OFT and the FOS, and then, without a care in the world for consumers or anyone else, put into practice. The nice little arrangement that the banks had already sorted with the FSA, the OFT and the FOS, the three regulators set up to protect the public. Mr xxxxx, someone is having a laugh at your constituents’ expense and it is not the slightest bit funny for us.

I also understand that It could also interfere with our rights under the European Convention on Human Rights directly and as enacted in the Human Rights Act 1998.

Art.6 1. of the Convention provides that “ In the determination of his civil rights … everyone is entitled to a fair and public hearing within a reasonable time.”

It is unreasonable to allow an indeterminate stay which depends on some litigation unconnected to the instant case, between other parties who have no relation to the parties in the instant case.

It is not clear that the matter will be heard as predicted and in the event that it does go to trial, there could then be appeals and subsequent appeals so that the matter might become protracted and even last as long as 2 years or more – from the date of the commencement of trial.

I sincerely hope that you can help us in getting the FSA to revoke this unfair and biased legislation and allow the consumer to continue to fight for what is rightfully theirs.

I thank you for you time.

DOS

Lloys TSB... SC&M Litigation

Many thanks, Maxine - good news indeed - one of my claims is against Lloyds, and maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to persuade their Litigation people (SC&M) to settle, in the same way as you did!

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Well I have just submitted my N1 to the Court and I'll see what the Court says

But I did read somewhere in this thread someone saying the OFT don't make the laws, this is the courts, -er- with respect, the courts don't make the laws either - they administer the law, it is your goverment who make the laws and we should be turning our angst on them by complaining to our MP's and direct to Gordon, the OFT must have decided it was getting out of hand and therefore went for the test case, well lets get the MP's and PM so sick of complaints about any delays, they have to do something

Shame not an election due

Regards

Well I have just submitted my N1 to the Court and I'll see what the Court says

But I did read somewhere in this thread someone saying the OFT don't make the laws, this is the courts, -er- with respect, the courts don't make the laws either - they administer the law, it is your goverment who make the laws and we should be turning our angst on them by complaining to our MP's and direct to Gordon, the OFT must have decided it was getting out of hand and therefore went for the test case, well lets get the MP's and PM so sick of complaints about any delays, they have to do something

Shame not an election due

Regards

Totally Agree, but let's hit the FSA as well so we can have this stupid regulation overturned in two months.

I understand that the banks disagree they are unlawful, so why have they kept paying out to consumers at the rate of around £200 million in the last 12 months?

I think you'll find this is more like £500 million

I'm a bit surprised that this news hasn't been greeted with much enthusiasm:

''The FSA said yesterday that while the court case is progressing, banks can put customer claims on hold. But amid criticism that the waiver could effectively allow firms to wriggle free from handling complaints for years to come, it promised to review the waiver after two months''

Apart from the obvious, it encouragingly suggests that the waiver was not part of the deal with the banks. Although this leads to the question of why they decided on the waiver in the first place it does, at least on the face of it, look like the FSA are listening and responding to consumers. And that's got to be cause for celebration

The FSA said from the start, that this would be reviewed after 2 months. It was in the initial agreement, and nothing to do with listening to us i'm afraid. I read their statement when it was announced.

FSA grants waiver to firms on complaints handling

QUOTE:- "The FSA will review the waiver in two months time to ensure, among other things, that firms are complying with its conditions. The FSA can also revoke the waiver at any time if it considers that the waiver is no longer appropriate, for example if progress on the test case is not being made or if a delay in the resolution of the test case is likely to cause undue risk to consumers."

Sounds like they have re-stated this, just to make us think they are listening.

Still good news though, and i do hope pressure from consumers can make them withdraw it, when the 2 months is up.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

" For a trivial offence, a free man shall be fined only in proportion to the degree of his offence, and for a serious offence correspondingly, "

Quote from the Magna Carta, shame it doesn't refer to the Abbey

I've just recieved this from my MP

"I am currently away from my office.

If your enquiry is urgent, please contact Carl Carter on 01946696845/02072194706 (e-mail [email protected].) Alternatively, please call Gwyneth Everett or Judith Andersen on 01946 62024.

Please note that my office deals with hundreds of e-mails every day and immediate responses cannot always be forthcoming. Thank you for your patience.

Jamie Reed

Member of Parliament for Copeland"

The FSA said from the start, that this would be reviewed after 2 months. It was in the initial agreement, and nothing to do with listening to us i'm afraid. I read their statement when it was announced.

FSA grants waiver to firms on complaints handling

QUOTE:- "The FSA will review the waiver in two months time to ensure, among other things, that firms are complying with its conditions. The FSA can also revoke the waiver at any time if it considers that the waiver is no longer appropriate, for example if progress on the test case is not being made or if a delay in the resolution of the test case is likely to cause undue risk to consumers."

Sounds like they have re-stated this, just to make us think they are listening.

Still good news though, and i do hope pressure from consumers can make them withdraw it, when the 2 months is up.

I stand corrected

:( Ohhhhh s***t!

I was there at Leeds Mercantile 28th June. The judge said Natwest had until 9th August to get back to me with either a settlement or otherwise, and now the FSA go and do this 'waiver' thing - how bad is the timing!!

Sure is m'am

:( Ohhhhh s***t!

I was there at Leeds Mercantile 28th June. The judge said NatWest had until 9th August to get back to me with either a settlement or otherwise, and now the FSA go and do this 'waiver' thing - how bad is the timing!!

The FSA have nothing to do with the court system... carry on as normal, until the court orders otherwise. Many courts have decided NOT to stay cases. Some people are still winning:) This is especially important at Mercantile courts.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I have a hearing date on the 16th August 2007.

I called my local court toay (Walsall, west Midlands) who told me that the Judges there were not in favour of granting the banks a stay regarding all scheduled hearings.

I called my banks litigation department and after a few mins discussion, got a full refund, plus the 8%, plus costs...

Hi

What did you say to SCM? Lloyds failed to comply with the Judges orders in my case by 4pm of Monday this week byy filing and serving a counter schedule. I should find out this Friday what the Judges decesion is. Apparently they don't appreciate it when Banks ignore the judges orders. Must people say i stand a very good chance as the OFT announcement came four days after the bank failed to meet a deadline as mentioned above. I will ring them tomorrow ans see if we can come to an agreement. How did you approach it? Should i said that i am expecting judgement this Friday for £2200 and try and say i would settle for less if we can agree a figure?

Don't like to risk a stay been granted in my case and having to wait a year plus. I need a holiday now :D

Should i said that i am expecting judgement this Friday for £2200 and try and say i would settle for less if we can agree a figure?

Why on earth would you want to settle for less - if they have failed to follow court orders you will almost certainly win anyway.