• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5841 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Question - section 32 of SOL?icon5.gif? - anyone

Section 32 of SOL refers to;

Section 32 of the Statute of Limitations act (otherwise known as the limitations act 1980. see here:

Results within legislation - Statute Law Database

(go to section 32)

This is a statutory instrument (law) constructed to protect people/ companies from having old/stale claims from being brought against them.

Under this, the usual limitation period is 6 years, which means that if you haven't brought an action for recovery of a debt against someone within 6 years, then you lose your right to.

In effect, it means that we should not ordinarily be allowed to claim back any charges that were taken from us more than 6 years ago, regardless of whether or not we can prove they were taken...... HOWEVER....

Under section 32 of the act, the 6 year period of limitation is raised, if it can be proven that there are reasonable grounds to believe that the money was taken whilst;

Either the defendant (the bank) were concealing the true nature of the charges (sec 32(1)b).

Or that the charges were conceded by ourselves whilst acting under a mistake (which in our own circumstances was bourne of the defendants misrepresentations) that the whole sums were properly due. sec 32 (1)c.

Thus by invoking section 32 of the said act, we can contend and claim that ALL charges no matter how old can be reclaimed.

Anyway, this is not really the proper thread to discuss this any further, so please lets not clutter this thread, and anyone wishing to do so should do a forum search for threads that deal with this.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, to be really pendantic, the test case is in relation to whether, in principal, a representative sample of the standard terms of business of the major banks can be said to be fair in relation to the UTCCR and Unfair Contract terms Act, and also (as a counter claim) whether the terms are charges in receipt of a service, rather than charges on breach of contract.

it may also be amended at a latter date by the OFT to include a claim against the banks founded upon the basis of the enterprise act, that the banks are operating as an unlawful monopoly insofar as these charges are unrepresentative of the true market costs of the services enjoyed.

That last paragraph is a real sting in the tail... only two organisations in the UK could bring it, and it's practically unarguable by the banks, and would leave them open to fines in the billions of pound region.

Surely the OFT can just order the banks to prove how much it costs them without having deal with this expensive and time consuming litigation?

Also, I have made a "bank account" program which applies charges automatically - and I can set the charges to wahtever I want.

I wonder if this would help?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I agree and have posted on CAG and MSE suggesting they use the £100K fund and do something about this.

And if that's not enough, I'm sure if all 155k members contributed a pound each that might help?

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

My case is in front of the Judge today and in his posession is my rerquest for Judgement. I have just spoken to the court manager who said that no banks have contacted them regarding the test case so they are continuing as normal and i should have a decesion today :)

I will also donate £10 to this site

My case is in front of the Judge today and in his posession is my rerquest for Judgement. I have just spoken to the court manager who said that no banks have contacted them regarding the test case so they are continuing as normal and i should have a decesion today :)

I will also donate £10 to this site

I don't think it will happen as quick as that. I would expect something to happen mid to end of week.

I don't think it will happen as quick as that. I would expect something to happen mid to end of week.

Hi

Do you mean it will be middle of the week before a get a judgement or before the Banks contact the courts following on from the announcement last Friday?

It's taken to long for me to find this thread! I'm sure these questions have already been answered but can someone please clarify for me:

The banks and Financial ombudsman service, as a result of this action now no longer have to respond to any of our claims until the high court has reached a decision? Is this correct and if so does it only apply to bank accounts penalty charges and NOT Credit Cards, Store Cards and catalogue accounts like littlewoods, Kays, Next etc?

kind regards,

shane

All advice is offered freely & without prejudice

If my post has been useful to you please click the scales

Just had a long conversation with the legal begals at the FSB ( Federation of small businesses) He says that there is nothing anyone can do about this legislation from the FSA. It may be possible that the Secretary of State could overule the FSA, but that is highly unlikely.

He firmly beleives all the courts will allow the stay and not have them set aside until the outcome of the hearing.

I asked him about the No win No fee companies and they would cease trading or go bankrupt, surely that would not be allowed. he said nothing in legislation would prevent this from happening, as they made a comercial decision and that is has not gone in their favour. So, unless the legal begals in CAG & MSE can do something, it looks like it's all over until this hearing

Just had a long conversation with the legal begals at the FSB ( Federation of small businesses) He says that there is nothing anyone can do about this legislation from the FSA. It may be possible that the Secretary of State could overule the FSA, but that is highly unlikely.

He firmly beleives all the courts will allow the stay and not have them set aside until the outcome of the hearing.

I asked him about the No win No fee companies and they would cease trading or go bankrupt, surely that would not be allowed. he said nothing in legislation would prevent this from happening, as they made a comercial decision and that is has not gone in their favour. So, unless the legal begals in CAG & MSE can do something, it looks like it's all over until this hearing

I assume the courts will only grant a stay if it has been requested? I also understand from a previous post that the Banks have to go through the Master of Rolls first before the Banks can make the request. One hopes that no court will grant a stay because they have been reading the papers etc. My court manager told me this morning that they are carrying on as previously until they hear otherwise. Then again you never know:)

But the 8 week rule is actually set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, of which only the secretary of state can allow a deveiation. I am sure the FSA cannot just let them get away with "breaking" the law just by their say so - I'll have to check over the act when I get home.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

But the 8 week rule is actually set out in the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, of which only the secretary of state can allow a deveiation. I am sure the FSA cannot just let them get away with "breaking" the law just by their say so - I'll have to check over the act when I get home.

Un1boy,

have a look at S2(4) (a) here:

Financial Services and Markets Act 2000

FM BW

So? TB's judgment will be to see if he will be allowed to proceed with his court case, so it will make not one bit of difference to the OFT case.

A wise man once said - 'The start of a long journey begins with the first step' who knows what the judge will order - he may decide to hear it all himself regardless of the OFT case.

I know you cannot judge tone from responses so I'm going to assume that you meant your comment to be informative rather than yet another negative response on this thread.

• Haha 1

I'm not an expert so check everything I tell you, however click me scales if I've been useful.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

There is no freemasonry like the freemasonry of Golf

Un1boy,

have a look at S2(4) (a) here:

Financial Services and Markets Act 2000

Thanks Destiny - I can't access here. I'll have to wait until I get home, unless you can post s2(4)(a) and I'll have a look at it now.

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Sect 2(4)(a) of the FS& M Act 200

(4) The Authority's general functions are-

(a) its function of making rules under this Act (considered as a whole);

(b) its function of preparing and issuing codes under this Act (considered as a whole);

© its functions in relation to the giving of general guidance (considered as a whole); and

(d) its function of determining the general policy and principles by reference to which it performs particular functions.

Thanks destiny - what/who does it mention in the act as "The Authority"?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Cases where the Treasury may start an independant enquiry

14. - (1) This section applies in two cases.

(2) The first is where it appears to the Treasury that-

(a) events have occurred in relation to-

(i) a collective investment scheme, or

(ii) a person who is, or was at the time of the events, carrying on a regulated activity (whether or not as an authorised person),

which posed or could have posed a grave risk to the financial system or caused or risked causing significant damage to the interests of consumers; and

(b) those events might not have occurred, or the risk or damage might have been reduced, but for a serious failure in-

(i) the system established by this Act for the regulation of such schemes or of such persons and their activities; or

(ii) the operation of that system.

Also the following. Been trying to figure out what © means.

(3) In discharging its general functions the Authority ( FSA) must have regard to-

(a) the need to use its resources in the most efficient and economic way;

(b) the responsibilities of those who manage the affairs of authorised persons;

(c) the principle that a burden or restriction which is imposed on a person, or on the carrying on of an activity, should be proportionate to the benefits, considered in general terms, which are expected to result from the imposition of that burden or restriction;

(d) the desirability of facilitating innovation in connection with regulated activities;

(e) the international character of financial services and markets and the desirability of maintaining the competitive position of the United Kingdom;

(f) the need to minimise the adverse effects on competition that may arise from anything done in the discharge of those functions;

It's taken to long for me to find this thread! I'm sure these questions have already been answered but can someone please clarify for me:

The banks and Financial ombudsman service, as a result of this action now no longer have to respond to any of our claims until the high court has reached a decision? Is this correct and if so does it only apply to bank accounts penalty charges and NOT Credit Cards, Store Cards and catalogue accounts like littlewoods, Kays, Next etc?

kind regards,

shane

At the moment, it is just current accounts, and the rest can proceed.

I can see the banks etc trying to get them included though. But the credit/store card cases are different, in that we do have a contract with regards to limits and monthly payments, so its easier for us to prove that we are being punished for 'breach of contract'.

[COLOR=#2e8b57][B][SIZE=1][U]Claimed & won so far[/U]:-[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen][U]Banks[/U]:- NatWest Personal £1000, Natwest Business £2000, Lloyds TSB Personal £1500, [U]Mortgages[/U]:-Central Capital (PPI) £500, Natwest MEAF £140 [/COLOR][COLOR=#2e8b57][U]Credit cards[/U]:- HSBC Gold card £365, Capital One £599.55 Barclaycard £1070 ( i only aske for £700) , Lloyds £500 [U]Catalogues[/U]:- Littlewoods Direct Flex Account £60 :D [/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][SIZE=1][B][U]For Friends[/U][/B]:- Natwest £1500, £1800 & £500, Cap One £600, Barclaycard £400, Solutions £100, Aqua, £105.[/SIZE][/COLOR] [COLOR=#2e8b57][B][U][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]Pending:-[/COLOR][/SIZE][/U][/B] [COLOR=seagreen][SIZE=1]Barclays Bank Personal (On hold - Thanks a lot OFT) :mad:.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR]

Also the following. Been trying to figure out what © means.

(3) In discharging its general functions the Authority ( FSA) must have regard to-

• (a) the need to use its resources in the most efficient and economic way;

• (b) the responsibilities of those who manage the affairs of authorised persons;

• (c) the principle that a burden or restriction which is imposed on a person, or on the carrying on of an activity, should be proportionate to the benefits, considered in general terms, which are expected to result from the imposition of that burden or restriction;

• (d) the desirability of facilitating innovation in connection with regulated activities;

• (e) the international character of financial services and markets and the desirability of maintaining the competitive position of the United Kingdom;

• (f) the need to minimise the adverse effects on competition that may arise from anything done in the discharge of those functions;

My understanding is that if they deviate the rules then the benefits have to be proportionate to the deviation.

Does the act actually state the FS Ais the authority?

My charges claims:

Default removals:

Yes Un1boy it does

PART I THE REGULATOR

The Financial Services Authority. 1. - (1) The body corporate known as the Financial Services Authority ("the Authority") is to have the functions conferred on it by or under this Act.

(2) The Authority must comply with the requirements as to its constitution set out in Schedule 1.

(3) Schedule 1 also makes provision about the status of the Authority and the exercise of certain of its functions