• Tweets

• I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver.  (Although earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.  I don't clearly understand it, but legal advice was something to do with the role the receiver has acting as an agent for the borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against the receiver ???).  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate app for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
    • so a new powerless B2B debt DCA set up less than a month ago with a 99% success rate... operating on a NWNF basis , but charging £30 to set up your use of them. that's gonna last 5mins.... = SPAMMERS AND SCAMMERS. a DCA is NOT a BAILIFF and have  ZERO legal powers on ANY debt - no matter WHAT its type. dx      
    • Migrants are caught in China's manufacturing battles with the West, as Beijing tries to save its economy.View the full article
    • You could send an SAR to DCbl on the pretext that you are going for a breach of your GDPR . They should then send the purported letter of discontinuance which may show why it ended up in Gloucester and see if you can get your  costs back on the day. It obviously won't be much but  at least perhaps a small recompense for your wasted day. Not exactly wasted since you had a great win  albeit much sweeter if you had beat them in Court. But a win is a win so well done. We will miss you as it has been almost two years since you first started out on this mission. { I would n't be surprised if the wrong Court was down to DCBL}. I see you said "till the next time" but I am guessing you will be avoiding private patrolled car parks for a while.🙂
    • It is extremely disappointing that you haven't told us anything about the result of the hearing. You came here at the very last minute and the regulars - all unpaid volunteers - sweated blood trying to get an acceptable Witness Statement prepared in an extremely short time. The least you could have done is tell us how the hearing went, information invaluable for future users. Evidently not.
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Office Of Fair Trading Test Case

Guest Wild Billy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5833 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you assess ' reasonable' for their service?

However, the banks argue that there fees are not a penalty but a service charge, under the supply of goods and services act any fee for a service provided has to be reasonable, if the banks want to take the tact that they provide us with a service should we not legally argue that £35 for a service that costs £2.50 is unreasonable.

With this arguement the courts would not be able to grant a stay in any of the cases as this is a different peice of law than is being argued in the test case ??????????The old cow on telly says that when anyone goes into and unauth situation, there has to be credit checks and all sorts done ( yeh right)

and that is where the charge is justified

Fezzaboy's post on page 17.

How do you assess ' reasonable' for their service?

The old cow on telly says that when anyone goes into and unauth situation, there has to be credit checks and all sorts done ( yeh right)

and that is where the charge is justified

Destinyofsouls' question in reply

For what it is or isn't worth....hopefully it can be worked on from a legal aspect for everyone's benefit to get past this stay cr*p.

The 'old cow' can say what she likes, however, how in heaven's name can anyone justify 2, 3, 4 or even more identical charges in the space of one day or even a specific period of time?

As I understand it from applying for a loan from Lloyds several years ago the internal banking system automatically updates/rechecks your internal bank credit score every 12 weeks or so. Hence why they tell you not to apply for more than 3 loans in any one given period of time because even if you are offered the loan and you CHOSE not to accept it, it still goes against your credit score as a whole.

Therefore, my argue/point is that it does NOT take 5 individual credit checks etc etc to bounce 5 DD's or cheques in 1 day or even a longer period of time. Therefore, the 'old cow's' statement is false and can not be justified in any way and can be easily disproved!!!!!!

So if there can be a legal argument found for unfair service charges then surely this is another way into getting 'at' the banks and getting around the stays which, as I would understand the law can only be enforceable/allowable if the case in question is being presented on a current case being heard in a higher court?!?!?!?

HELP WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED FROM LEGAL seagulls OUT THERE ON THIS.

Know you are no doubt very busy wracking your brains as we all type away here but in between all the scares and worries that people are expressing here (which is more than understandable and quite justified) there are some darn good points coming out too and I just hope they don't get lost in the shear weight of worry and concern everyone is expressing here.

"We have granted the waiver to help facilitate this test case. We believe it is not in the interests of all consumers for complaints to continue to be dealt with in the current inconsistent way. Once there is certainty on these charges, complaints can be dealt with fairly and consistently. To ensure consumer protection we have imposed a number of conditions on the waiver that firms must adhere to."

The conditions in the waiver include dealing promptly with complaints once clarity is achieved and communicating clearly with consumers throughout the process. The FSA also expects firms to continue to help their customers avoid incurring unauthorised overdraft charges in the first instance and to continue to deal with hardship cases.

The FSA will review the waiver in two months time to ensure, among other things, that firms are complying with its conditions. The FSA can also revoke the waiver at any time if it considers that the waiver is no longer appropriate, for example if progress on the test case is not being made or if a delay in the resolution of the test case is likely to cause undue risk to consumers.

The FSA will publish later today the results of thematic work on how firms are currently handling complaints on unauthorised overdraft charges. Practices varied across the visited firms, but in some the FSA found significant deficiencies and important areas of weakness in their approach. These included:

• a failure to respond to complaints fairly and consistently; to address adequately the subject matter of complaints; or to ensure complaints are resolved at the earliest possible opportunity;
  • unfair closure of accounts, or threats to do so; and
  • false or misleading statements made to complainants.

It seems that if the FSA are not happy with the way that the banks handle complaints, then they may consider retracting the waivers. Therefore, it seems to me that we should encourage those who are commencing claims to complain to the FSA without delay if the banks do not respond promptly. The FSA will be inundated with complaints and will be forced to review the waiver situation under the weight of it all. They have issued the right to waiver with conditions and one of those is prompt responses and keeping claimants up to date. They manage to do this in so few cases, it must be worth considering

HFC Bank - First letter claiming £196/LBA sent/£75 offered/rejected/Claim filed

HFC Bank Take 2 - Statements received

A & L - Prelim sent/LBA sent

Barclays (for my Dad) - Awaiting statements/LBA for S.A.R. sent/Statements received/Prelim sent/LBA sent

A & L (for my Son) - Awaiting statements/Statements arrived Prelim letter sent/£280 offered and rejected

Abbey (for my Sister) - ***Won***

Barclays PPI claim

Studio - ***Won***

HSBC - (for my brother-in-law) ***Won*** 8-)

He -- relating to Clive Briault, the managing director of retail markets at the FSA -- said this was 'likely to deter customers from making or persisting with complaints'. He added: 'Some firms are using, or threatening to use, their contractual right to close customers' accounts in a manner we would regard as an unfair effort to punish the consumer for having complained, and inhibit them, and others, from complaining --again-- in the future.”

So is this a statement of recognition of punitive tactics by the banks / building societies from the FSA?

And this from the very same FSA whose other hand has granted the banks / building societies at least a one year (initially) a waiver of responsibility regard to their responsibilty to deal with pertanent complaints, further to have have granted the banks the ability to apply for a 'stay' to current and future court claims until the legal cogs grind to a halt.

Is this not hypocrisy from such a regulatory body to propose that they acknowledge peoples experiences and in some cases complaints of being acted upon in retaliation by the banks through punitive actions on the one hand but also grant the banks the leeway to potentially formulate an alternative schema for charges with no responsibility to consider ongoing complaints and claims related to such; let alone to be able to continue with charges even under the current legal contention? The mind ....yeah you know the rest!

Yeah I love the broadsheets, they're the class augmented equivalent of 'tea, tits, and a tabloid' on a construction site; excepting that they report the same news streams / tickers, if not as ' the Mirror champions' in mentality... but they still get their news from the same sources and are as controlled and spinned as the tabloids be in no doubt of that people!

Oi You!!!:p

So it's late and my typing has gone to the wall! Not one of those females who claim to multi-task perfectly anytime anywhere! :p

Actually, if you're offering I'd rather have cinamon flavour with strawberry jam if you wouldn't mind please kind sir! :D

Oh dear! Actually when I look at that typo it was a classic! How the heck did I get it that muddled!?!?!?!?:o

By the by gold star for the quick wit reply. Did make me chuckle! :D

Think we all need a bit of light relief at this juncture. :) Well done!

with regards to what that 'old bat' was saying this morning on the TV about costs of credit checks is b*****ks (sorry its better than what I said this morning)

I was looking at my experian credit thingy last night and I know thats the one the Abbey uses as they told me a few weeks ago, and there is no entries or records of the Abbey looking, there is the normal monthly entry from the Abbey with my balance, but no credit check, Lying cow,

Brilliant 12thdomino!

That's the kind of evidence we should be collecting to put forward as evidence that the banks are bl**dy liars!

I don't know if the legal seagulls can use the earlier idea posted to get around a stay by claiming under different laws, legislation etc but if they can then their claim that it cost this or that can so easily be disproved by US as a united whole!

..........The point being, that many of us have spent months and months battling, spending not just money in court costs, printer ink, paper , stamps,but also precious time and effort, trawling through paper work and websites.......not to mention stress, .....but spurred on by the success stories of others, which seemed to make it worthwhile, but now that has all been flattened...... its not so bad for those just starting out is it?they dont realise what a long road it is ahead but us poor b*ggers are plain and simple pig-sick, so all this talk of "its what weve been waiting for " is im afraid cold comfort. Lets face it , the majority just want our money back , we're not really that bothered about being superheroes raging against the machine.me personally , well i was looking forward to paying off my tax bill!

Well said!

The stress alone is major factor in my house! I was offered £4,200 as settlement and boy did I get some stick when I said I was going to go on with court proceedings! Thing is by the time I'd cleared my o/d that they so nicely gave me totally through their charges (haven't used the darn a/c for nearly 8 mths!) I'd have been left with less than £3,000 and I just felt that wasn't right.

The looks of daggers and comments of 'you Piers Morgan, told you you should have accepted and been done with it all and it would've been end of all this stress and time that it's taking out of our lives .......'

I felt physically sick! And I'll be honest my first thought was 'well maybe it's not too late to accept their settlement offer (it was only about 10 day's ago and I haven't put court claim in yet) at least I'd still get something.

But now? I honestly don't know. If I can find a way round the stay then I'll push on because I'm NOT convinced either way that this test case will work for us. There are darn good points for and equally against so to me it just makes sense to try to find way round this hurdle and get there before the results of the test case. Know it would help me a heck of a lot and if the majority of you out there are the same as me (just average normal person) then that's answer for you too!?!?

£4,200 would make a heck of a difference to me right now. £6,500 (total with interest) would make even bigger difference! I've had a hell of a year and I do need the money now! And it was a big temptation to accept when offer came through.

It's darn hard not to make plans about what you would do with the money. Have always told myself I would use it for something very positive to make a difference and secure my future better so I would not be in that position ever again, hadn't particularly spent it on one thought or desire. And to have put all that effort in and find a great big ugly untrustworthy giant dumped in front of you out of the blue is pretty darn hard to accept and a heck of a shock to everyone.

What do you mean ''what are you doing here'' ? It's his thread! He was

the first member to pick up on the OFT announcement.

crfx250

I stand by my original question.

• 04/04/07 - £104 exit fee refund - Portman BS
  • Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!
  • A&L Current a/c - You're next..

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Well I'll answer it for you then:

Billy has been instrumental in putting pressure on the OFT to act on the whole issue of default charges. His knowledge of the workings of the OFT

are vast.

It is people like him that do unsung stuff behind the scenes for the benefit

of people like you. You don't have to be a claimant to help the cause you know.

Calling him a troll was a comment made in ignorance.

Billy has been instrumental in putting pressure on the OFT to act on the whole issue of default charges. His knowledge of the workings of the OFT

are vast.

Hmm... all that in 35 posts - was this before or after Vietnam?

I also noticed that wherever he goes, you're not far behind him either ;)

• Halifax Current a/c 20yr (closed) - in progress - all 20 years statements recovered!
  • Halifax Platinum Card 15 yr - Court Action Commenced - all 15 years statements recovered!

Write to your MP and

COMPLAIN about the ANTI-CONSUMER way in which the OFT Test Case is being handled!

Tens of thousands of complaints that unauthorised overdraft charges and returned item fees on current accounts are unfair have been received by the county courts and the Financial Ombudsman Service. The banks do not accept that the legal test of unfairness set out in unfair contract terms legislation applies to the charges.

http://www.oft.gov.uk/advice_and_resources/resource_base/market-studies/personal2

Els

That's not what she said elsinore if you watch the clip of chanel4 news with Martin Lewis. I am no legal buff at all, but how can a so called 'test case' not actually involve any 'case'?

I am of the opinion that the OFT should be ashamed of themselves not involving the Consumer Groups who have worked so tirelessly researching and thrashing these issues out and stripping the legislation to threads like so many even on this thread have done, often thanklessly too, not to mention all the support from thousands of people who have contributed thousands upon thousands of hours ( thank you Bookie :D ) to press this home. The OFT ' Office of FAIR Trading - what's so fair about excluding the people who ACTUALLY KNOW the laws.

Hmm... all that in 35 posts - was this before or after Vietnam?

I also noticed that wherever he goes, you're not far behind him either ;)

I don't judge people's credibility by the number of their posts on CAG.

You bet I'm right behind him.

No one's arguing his 'credibility' or purported knowledge.. more than a few of us merely felt the delivery might have needed work, that's all. As for your location:

You bet I'm right behind him.
Yes, we can see that.

Write to your MP and

I would suggest the delivery of your original attack on him was less than exemplory. Next time you call a true campaigner a troll don't expect not

to be critisised for it.

He's already accepted the flaw in his delivery, unlike yourself.

Guest Wild Billy

I seem to have been called out so who am I to disappoint.:D

If by trolling you mean correcting other members' factual inaccuracies then, yes, I'm trolling. I am seriously frustrated that only a handful of people on this thread have bothered to read the OFT statement or FSA statement for themselves. You would think that with £000s of their own money at stake it would be the first thing they would do. Some of the inaccuracies and questions show they haven't bothered to inform themselves, which is always a bug-bear with me in any form of life. To make matters worse, they then make posts which are just wrong, which only confuses the matter. Don't say let's all e-mail the OFT when you're complaining about the waiver and it is the FSA that needs to be contacted if you're so inclined.

Which brings me to the lack of netiquette. This is a long thread with a lot of information in between a lot of misinformation. But there is no excuse for not reading the thread before posting a question. If you care so much about this issue then 10 minutes doing some back reading isn't too much is it? You might find your question has been answered. Or you might find that some of the inaccuracies you're about to post, most likely confusing the OFT and FSA it seems, have been clarified. Or whether CC claims should go on. Or whether claims should still be made at all. Does that sound reasonable or does it sound like trolling? I'd be far more worried about the members giving off negative messages about whether it is worth still claiming. Troll you say?

This thread has revealed a lot and what I'm about to say won't be very popular. This is a tremendous site with some very knowledgeable altrusistic people. There are others unfortunately who aren't but it is very disappointing to see people rally against what is in train because it is so much bigger than any one person. Someone said they didn't want the law clarified because "consumers are onto a good thing". Really? All consumers? Or just those who look at this website and have the money or inclination to take things further? Others have said it is costly, stressful and time consuming going to court , which it is is. Not exactly a "good thing" and this action could stop all that. What is really annoying some people is the timing of the action and it cutting across their claims- not whether there is a case or not. Bit selfish really. And as for those who are annoyed because they have spent the money before they've received it:o

I've already talked about the paranoia running through the thread. If we haven't worked out by now that the banks don't always tell the truth then we'll never learn it. So don't be so sure this is all part of a ploy that they're so happy to be going to court. They're still paying out a lot less then they will have to if this goes all the way, not to mention future revenue streams. Might want to check out the libel laws too before saying this is all part of a gigantic ploy between OFT, FSA and the banks. And look under the bed for any monsters too... and Lord Lucan while you're at it.

So if that is trolling then so be it. I prefer to think of it as a call for careful thought, individual responsibility, and common sense.

We have granted the waiver to help facilitate this test case. We believe it is not in the interests of all consumers for complaints to continue to be dealt with in the current inconsistent way. Once there is certainty on these charges, complaints can be dealt with fairly and consistently.

But hold on - the complaints were being delt with fairly and consistantly. We would demand our money back the bank would refuse and we would issue court procedings and finally the bank would payup.

The situation has now changed because of the FSA ruling in that we demand our money but the consumer no longer has any teeth. We want our teeth back:D

The Waiver is an FSA Conspiracy with the banks against the consumer - Complain to your MP and the FSA about their shameful act!