• Tweets

• Tangliss, if you can't upload the letter, could you tell us what the heading is please? My understanding is it should say 'Letter before claim' or similar. HB
    • Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclays Bank in court, going to high court

lauragale
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6111 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just got back from Southend County Court where I had a Allocation and case management meeting with district judge Dudley. On arrival a Barclays bank solicitor was there and handed out a photo copied piece of paper informing everyone that all the cases were being referred to a higher judge on the 4/12/07!, to be heard together. We were all called in to the judges office and informed that all cases as of today are being contested by Barclays and will be heard on the above date. Well this looks like the end!, one way or the other.

Hi laura

Can you post the wording of the information you were handed. Was yours a claim over £5k ie not Small Claims route?

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

a new tactic by Barclays... may explain why they are saying that they will be attending the Directions Hearing in Cardiff on 14th August, please post anymore info you get..

Hmmm, I think they may be just biding time - it gives them til December to pay out.

Nothign to stop them making out of court settlements before then, is there?

I don't trust them at all.

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

I went to court this morning with my friend who has a claim against barclays. The bank sent a barrister. There were about ten cases being heard at ten then more through the day a total of about 40 - 50 cases - just with barclays.

The barrister gave a list of directions and all seven claiments that turned up for the ten slot went in together to see the judge.

They have moved the claims to fast track so it can be heard by a higher judge (circuit judge).

They have set a date 4/12/07

Barclays will be defending the case - this will mean a precedent will be set locally (Essex)

If there is then an appeal this will set a precedent nationally.

The claimants were all worried about having to pay costs but the judge said this would be split between the fifty or more cases so it wouldn't be too much!

They also expressed concern about having to wait til december and the judge said it would not be any quicker in small claims.

The judge really slated the banks for not being prepared (their barrister did not have all the case notes) and for not sorting this out sooner and therefore wasting everybodys time.

ha that told barclays!

I will keep you informed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi my claim is for £3.105.50 this does not include interest and of course the court fee(£120.00), was ofered a settlement of £2.000, but pressed ahead with my claim, the post by Granby is exactly what happened to me today so waiting to see what happens next.

Good luck Laura!

Disclaimer: Anything I write in these forums is my personal opinion and offered without prejudice. If in doubt, please seek independent legal advice.

*If what I have told you in this post has helped, please press the star at the bottom left and tell me!!*

My charges claims:

un1boy vs egg *SETTLED* | Un1boy vs LTSB-SETTLED | un1boy vs Black Horse-SETTLED | Un1boy v Smile *WON* | un1boy v HSBC - SETTLED! | Un1boy's HSBC CC - SETTLED! | Un1boy vs Co-Op *SETTLED* |un1boy vs Co-Op CC *SETTLED*

Default removals:

un1boy v Equifax - Default removal

un1boy vs Experian - Default removal

Hi

My son's case (claim £2445, lodged in January 2007) was in the same court today and he has confirmed he received the same message. He's on the verge of giving up - court costs will be astronomic. I can't understand why the case is being removed from the small claims track. It is just an attempt to bully people into submission.

Oops, I just started a thread on this but, I see it is here! It always baffles me why the Banks seem to get preferential treatment and the public get the rough end of the stick. They will lose in the end and I believe it is a time wasting tactic. I hope as many people as possible close their accounts with Barclays, arrogant t**ts

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

Hi

My son's case (claim £2445, lodged in January 2007) was in the same court today and he has confirmed he received the same message. He's on the verge of giving up - court costs will be astronomic. I can't understand why the case is being removed from the small claims track. It is just an attempt to bully people into submission.

keep going for now

there will be a lot of ppl going to the court if they follow up their threat,(defending all further claims)

so costs could be split

what i think is needed here is for ALL claimants who get these directions

should ask their respective courts to allocate it to this hearing and date

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If all further claims are to be defended it could cost them more in legal fees than it would have cost to pay us out!! While I wouldn't fancy facing them in court on my own, it has been suggested to me by a solicitor friend that we could each claim this concerns our personal finances and demand separate hearings.

Looking on the bright side, the court could rule in our favour :)

Keep the faith

nickyc

nickyc

26.06.07 Prelim letter sent

02.07.07 Acknowledgement received

12.07.07 LBA sent

28.07.07 Received Barclays standard OFT letter

29.07.07 Lost it :?

14.08.07 Recovered and back on track :)

You could all make a complaint to Office for Judicial Complaints - Home

It is not as if Barclays are new to this type of court action.

In some cases it may be necessary to ask a senior judge to carry out an investigation into what has happened.

Donate to keep this site open

Any help or advice is offered as just that, help and advice without any liability. If in doubt consult a legal expert or CAB.

Make Cash Flow Forecast

I will today be trying to contact my employers free legal advice service, and get some guidance on how we can move forward on this as a group action, so please get in contact with me if you are one of the claimants that has had their case fast tracked for an appearance on the 4th Dec at 10:30 at Southend County Court. I want to try and find out what the process is for a number of individuals to move forward as a group and how we find out who all these claimants are, as I would hope that the court would not release this information.

Rgds Paul

From Stephen Hone-

London, UK - July 25, 2007 - Southend County CourtClaimants of charges from Barclays’ Bank are to face a Circuit Court test to prove them as unlawful.Barclays sent a Barrister to defend a day’s worth of cases (40-50 cases, in batches of 10), choosing to defend each case rather than settle. This is a major breakthrough for penalty charges advocates who believe that each charge set out is unlawful and unfair.The cases are set to be heard on the 4th December this year and have been moved to the fast track circuit. Barclays have made it clear their intention to fully defend the cases, however we expect them to make a better effort of it than today.One of the claimants said today that the “Judge really attacked the bank for not being prepared. The barrister defending didn’t even have all the case notes with him”. Jo, a Beauty Salon owner, also said that the Judge was unhappy that “the bank had not sorted the claims out in a timely manner and had been wasting everybody’s time”.Stephen Hone, penaltycharges.co.uk founder, said:“We are really glad that one of the banks we are fighting has finally decided to step up and defend their practices. We are confident that the Circuit Court Judge will find in favour of the Penalty Charges Forums litigants, which will set a precedent which will matter.”If the Judge finds in favour of the claimants, we believe Barclays will be forced to appeal, tying up our users in litigation for the next year. However this will firmly set precedent across the country and put to rest any question about the legality of the charges. Mr Hone added: “We are keen to win the cases and see them go to appeal. We believe there are more litigants out there facing Barclays and we org them to contact us. The chance to finally set precedent is what we’ve been waiting for. In fact, we say: BRING IT ON!”About penaltycharges.co.ukThe Penalty Charges site and forum was setup to provide all the help, support and legal advice needed to claim back unfair bank charges. All the advice given on the site is provided for free and includes advice from other consumers who have successfully reclaimed their bank charges. Visit Penalty Charges UK - Fighting your Corner for FREE for further information.Contacts:Stephen Hone, Penalty Charges Founder[email protected]James Cox, Penalty Charges Press Officer[email protected]ENDS All member reading this who have claims against Barclays that have a court date please contact [email protected]