Help Needed to claim Back Hsbc Charges

hollyjake
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I quite new to the forum been reading up on faq, I have all my Hsbc statements, and I ready to do the calculating of charges, a bit confused with the interest calculations, not the 8% one for the court, I am also quite nervous about it, I have only 18 months of charges, but run into thousands, I have my account and hubbies to do, I have a parachute account, so I am ready.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I tend to be a born worrier, and hope I dont come across silly as I feel stupid.

Hollyjake,

First of all don't worry, I am claiming and just about to go to court and like yours it runs into thousands. At the end of the day You have to remember that it is very very likely your going to win without going to court. Secondly what have you got to loose, you can only gain. So sit back and relax and try to enjoy the experience (easier said than done I know!) I will let the others give you advice as they are far more knowledgable than me but if you need copies of anything I have most things stored so drop me a note and I will get it to you.

Regards

Dai.

Welcome to the forum Holly. If you have any worries at all, just ask and someone will be there to help you.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Hi lateralus, thanks and just the person I need to speak to, Ive already had a go at the spreadsheet, done the charges, and the interest, I think I have done the interest charges right, but not too sure, on the hsbc statement say for instant on my statement 31 may to 30 june 2007, on this ststement it says interest charges date 20 june £22.13 interest to 29 may, so do i look at the 29th May, and take my balance on this day what it was, say for instance -2077.47, which when applied would give me a figure of 12.62.

My charges are only over a 11 month period and amount to 1660.00, which to me is daylight robbery, and interest is 79.00.

What happens if I have got things wrong, on the interest will the bank jump all over me, I have a funny feelin the banks going to close my bank account, cause they have just charged me 2 account fees of 12.95 on the 12 july, 2 lots of interest, and 2 x notified fees at 150 and 50.00, and a total of 322.00 of fees within days for doing nothing and not using the account, there even taking funds from my savings account, and have requested my cheque book and debit card back, I cancelled my d/debits which do not disappear, and they cancelled a few d/debits, but not all of them, and dont even let me know whats going on, when you call the call centre, they dont have a clue what youre talking about.

What were the "account fees" of £12.95 for? Do you have some sort of special account as I do not recognise the amount? If you are paying a fee for a specail kind of account, then I don't think that you can claim them back as they do not constitute a penalty.

As for the interest, I think you put down the balance of your account when the interest was taken.

When you ring the call centre try and get them to actually put you through to someone at your own branch, or get the call centre to get someone at your own branch to call you. I found that it was easier to talk to someone who actually deals with my account than someone who is thousands of miles away in a different country and you do not understand what they are saying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

if you don't live on a farm someplace - like a long way away - i'd get into the bank and speak to someone - i agree with jo - either those are fees for some account type or they are d/d's or standing orders being kicked back. you need to get them all cancelled. talking to a person is so much better. and again, agree with jo - the date the interest is taken - use that balance - and that figure looks very reasonable.

So basically if I am charged interest on my bank account on the 20 th june at 24.43, I have to take the balance at that time on the 20th june, not the inteest they have charged me up to the 29th of may, as I were taking the balance at the 29th of May, looks like I will have to start again with interest on spreadsheet

On the HSBC statenment on mine, all the fees are taken on the 20th of month, and the interest, and the acount fee

But on statement, it will have, 20 June 07 DR Interest 24.43

To 29 May 2007

And I know not to claim for the account, this is for an hsbc plus account with all the perks, but in July they have applied this fee twice and my interest, taken all my perks off me, my maestro cheque guareentee card and cheque book, they not letting me cancel my so and dd, the only acess i have to my account is interne, and all I that is happening is harrassment from the foreign call centre, who I cannot understand and they are calling all day from 7.30am till 10.00 pm

Can you please let me know whether i need to take the other date on statement for interest.

i'd take the balance on the day the interest charge is dated - that's how i did it (might not be right - but it worked out ok).

if they've taken all the priveleges - then i can't see you having to pay for that service - so get that monthly charge stopped.

also, there's a great letter in another section about harrassing phone calls and as pete says - just say to them - send me a letter - i don't do any business over the phone and hang up.

Thank you, I had sort of come to that conclusion, I think the pennys dropped, but I just needed to be sure, as I dont have that much good luck, I would probably be the one who they took to court, and this is what you did when you took you case, when I ready to go I have done my hubbies account too, so there is 2 claims to submit, I will be sending my first letter by the end of the week, I am going out to claim these back without going to court.

By the way what is a managed loan with the hsbc

a debt from hell!

a wolf in sheep's clothing...

how many ways can i put it -

it's when your o/d is high and getting higher and they present it like mannah from heaven when it really is a shackel to your life as you know it - you will be owned by hsbc for the forseeable future -

it's like drugs - if they offer JUST SAY NO!

they give you a loan at an exhorbitant rate to clear you overdraft and maybe a little extra for that plasma screen telly and you'll not pay it off for years and years and years - get the picture!

after 2-3 or more - you'll still owe the original amount or more because they take all the interest out first = like in a repayment mortgage.

I have sent my documents off to claim bank charges, for both myself and husband, but what can I do now because of the oft test case, I believe this will be put on hold, till the test case is finished, and this could take upto a year, and in the meantime the banks have the right to put all cases on hold, surely this is not right.

What do I do now !

But to me this does not sound right you cannot put things on hold for a year, bank charges will accumulate, and if i refuse to pay them the bank would send in debt collectors, so in eefect if the banks have a stay, then they should not be able to add more bank charges to a bank account they have added un lawful charges, or a bank account they have had a complaint about

Hi All,

Sorry to jump on the thread,

But I don't know what to do. I closed my HSBC bank account about 2 years cause I got fed up of the charges. I have thrown all my information away and don't know how I can now go about trying to re-claim them with no information or current bank account?

Can anyone help me?? :confused:

You will have to do a SAR letter. Just put in your details ie name and address at the time the account was open. HSBC should be able to identify you and then issue you with the info you need to proceed with your claim. Here is the link for a SAR:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/516-1-data-protection-act.html

also it will be helpful for yourself and anyone who wants to help you to start your own thread. Just click on the link below and call it whatever you like:-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=10

I have sent my 1st prelim letter, so business as usual, I carry on as though the oft had not happened, I take it, even though, the banks will not do anything, because of the stay, I will have to take this through to the court stage, so that I am in the process,

This oft is a stalling tactic for the banks to jump on the band wagon, if this oft decision, can take years to sort out, the banks cannot just do nothing, this is an infringement of human rights, but on the other hand the banks will be allowed to carry on adding charges, and if the bank has listed a default with the credit bureaus,then do we all send in a letter of correction to be put on our files, in such wording as, this default is infact unlawful bank charges, and overdraft interest, which the bank, has unlawfully help themselves to my money, and in due respect due to the recent Oft decision, to take a test case to court, this could take some time (1 to 2 years )for the bank to settle my claim against them, of monies they have deliberately taken from my account.

To me this all stinks, and they will be loop holes in it, its just like taking someone to court, in the small claims, and the courts turning round or another body saying, hang on a minute we have thousands of these claims, lets impose a stay, or postponement, until the other side or regulating body takes a test case to court, sod the consumer or defendant in the process, but in this instance the banks in the process, while this case is pending, can still make money, and large profits, by adding charges on, this dont sound right, I bet at the moment, some draft document is being drafted to get round it.

I think we need to lobby the banks and the oft, and our local Mps to cause a stir.

yes keep to the plan, I'm not convinced the judges will grant the stays the banks ask for I think there is a bit of feeling running in the judicary so dont be supprised if your case isnt stayed.... but thats just my thoughts and its early days.....

pete

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

I have sent my first letter off to them, I received a reply, basically the standard reply, still having problems with hsbc, but they keep making lots of errors on my account, and administrative errors on my account since August, they forced me into a managed loan, for all my charges of around 2k, I have to pay 50 a month

I was not happy about this, as soon as my account was back to normal and clear, I started to put my money back in my bank account and I have had all kinds of charges again, and I was in credit, they were taking my benefit money off me and my incapacity benefit, but they admitted that there were making administration errors, every time this happened I went into my local branch and demanded this money back, and since August the fees which have been going on which have been no fault of mine they refunded, every week I was in at my branch because errors were being commited,and its a good job I checked my bank account everyday, as I was not going to let them get away with this again, due to problems with my bank, and being poorly with rhuematoid arthritis, I had to give up work in June, all the problems with the bank took its toll on me, I ended up having a nervous breakdown, as I am only youngish and my illness and the stress was making it worse, I have now just lost my home last week due to repossesion, so before my 2nd letter, I want to claim hardship, I know if I keep on at these guys I will get my monies back, as I can prove they have made many errors and even my branch helped me with the many service errors they have made.

Help really needed and what to put into my letter!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi hollyjake!

Have U considered switching to another Bank, or at the very least, opening a 'parachute' current account??...:confused:

Then, whilst U are reclaiming against HSBC, they won't be able to put U under any duress by keep on taking unlawful debits out of your current account, making U short of funds each month!

Here are a couple of links for U to have a look at...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-example-step-step-instructions.html

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general/13832-do-you-need-parachute.html

Depending on your Credit History etc, some current accounts may be more obtainable/available to U elsewhere.

Try to research the ones that U feel will accept U + are suit your needs most, BEFORE U apply to them.

To apply for more than a couple in any 6 month period + be refused, will make your Credit Report look horrendous + make it even more unlikely that any other Bank will accept your application for a NEW current account with them!...;)

...:)

• Haha 1