• Tweets

• Participants can get £50 - but must permanently consent to the retailer using their personal data.View the full article
    • Documents arrived today dated 27th March.  This is a cc taken out a long time ago (2008) and they don't seem to have been able to provide a copy of a CCA agreement, just reams of print outs of lines of texts from old bank statements, default notices etc.   
    • Documents finally arrived today from PRA group.  New day have sent me lots of paperwork, copies of default letters and statements, print out of what looks like a CCA that would have been completed on online, IP address as signature.  This debt is not too old, so possible this is the true copy of agreement ?  Not sure what my defence would be beyond irresponsible lending. 
    • pers i wouldn't.. all you need to know is in the posts of that thread....that being section 127(3) of the CCA refers. if under a CCA return, the 'creditor' claims its a recon, it must not contain any details like a sig, tickbox, or typed name (whether you signed physically or by online tickbox) 1. those are not necessary in a recon, so why inc them? (faked??) 2, it cant thus be a recon!!, it must be a copy of the 'original' from the original creditor, not from a debt buyers filing cabinet. they shouldn't not be 'mixing' some original docs from the OC with crap from their filing cabinet, claiming its ALL a recon! because some of it is faked. just remember there are far more docs like NOA and a DN that are as equally important to a court claim of 'this debt is enforceable'. never rely solely upon the dodgy agreement argument.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Message from Guildford County Court to CAG - **NEW** Directions Order

PeterAnderson
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just returned from the court collecting some N1's and had a very long discussion with the Court Office Manager and several interesting things came out of the that discussion.

Firstly I have full permission from the Court Manager to post this and he knows exactly what I am going to post (he was glad that people were getting their money back by the way :) ).

1. Only about 4% of the bank cases every receive a court date and he was not aware of any defendants turning up at court

2. A few cases have been struck out - due to faulty paperwork.

3. Once a defence has been submitted they will try to set an early court date

3. If anyone here would like to sit-in on a hearing they are welcome.

4. A special court day has been set aside as they have put together 20 cases that they expect to be heard, they also listed 50+ cases as well and will add to this list - this will take place on 14th Sept in Court 7 starting at 1030am - CAG are welcome to sit-in.

IMPORTANT NEW DIRECTIONS

The manager told me that they are fed-up with the banks not turning up and as I understand it, once they have lodged their defence, this court gives them 7-days before the case will be struck-out in favour of the claimant.

They have only just started issuing these new Directions to the banks - he gave me a copy, and it reads as follows, in full:-

DIRECTIONS

1. The claim is allocated to the small claims track

2. The hearing will take place at a place, time and date which will be notified to the parties.

3. The Defendant shall no later than 4pm on 13 August 2007 serve on the Claimant and lodge at Court a document answering the following questions: (a) Is the case intended to be contested to and at trial. (b) Does the Dependent intend to apply to adduce expert evidence?

4. If the Defendant fails to lodge at Court a document in accordance with paragraph 3. above the defence shall be struck out and judgement will be entered for the Claimant for the amount claimed and costs comprising the issue fee and any allocation fee paid.

5. Each party shall serve on the other the witness statements of all witnesses (other than expert witnesses on whom they intend to rely.

6. No party may adduce expert evidence unless an application for permission to adduce such evidence has been made and granted.

7. No party may rely on the evidence of any witness whose statement has not been served in accordance with this order without further permission from the Court.

8. No more than seven nor less than three clear working days before the trial date the Claimant shall file at Court an indexed and paginated bundle of documents which complies with the requirements of Rule 39.5 of the Civil Procedure Rules and the practice direction thereto, and shall serve a copy of it on the Defendant. The Claimant shall endeavour to agree the contents of the bundle with the Defendant before it is filed. If the Claimant fails to file a trial bundle in accordance with this direction the claim shall be struck out and the action dismissed without further order.

9. Because this order has been made by the Court without considering representations from the parties, the parties have the right to apply to have the order set aside, varied or stayed. A party wishing to make an application must send or deliver the application to the Court (together with the appropriate fee) to arrive withen seven days of service of this order

Guildford County Court

• Haha 3

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Me Vs Morgan Stanley - WON £490

Me V's LTSB - Private & Bus Acc - £18.8k (since Oct1997)

inc: S.69 Interest (and growing daily) -;)

Please remember to DONATE when you have WON

Yes, we have seen a few of those trickling out of Guildford over the last couple of weeks, (see the "struck out" thread in the Campaign Forum), but it is good to hear it is not just a fluke. :-D

Now all we have to hope for is that other courts pick up on this, and maybe we'll see the banks pull up their metaphorical socks. About time too. :mad:

Thank you very much for taking the time to report this in its entirety, it will come as a great encouragement for those filing in Guildford. Hell, I might even drive to the other end of Surrey myself to file my next one! :-D

Hi there...

Just a thought (dangerous though it is, me having them!!!)... I have not long ago submitted to court, a "draft order for directions", as per following thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/78873-new-after-28-days.html

It's obviously too late for me, but would it be worthwhile ammending template to make some sort of reference as to what is happpening in guildford cc?

The template does already make references to other courts.

Any way of bringing this courts directions to other courts would only be beneficial surely?

As I said, it's just a thought, but someone who knows a little better than me may want to comment. :)

Post 3 - Bump

If you think this post has been of help, please click on my SCALES on the left - thanks :-) :-x

Peter Anderson

Hi Peter

This is a VERY interesting thread & for which many thanks.

I have a question relating to Direction 3 (in Post #1) - "(a) Is the case intended to be contested to and at trial."

If the bank answers 'yes' to that does it commit them to actually attending Court and defending, or can they still force you all the way to the Court door (filing bundle etc etc) and then settle out of Court just before the hearing?

If the answer to my question is 'yes, they can', then I can't see that anything has changed.

On the other hand if the answer is 'No, they can't', is the intention of that direction to force the bank to settle the claim at that point, rather than force Claimants all the way to the Court door (by submitting 'Bundles' etc) before settling, thereby hugely speeding up the process? If so, this is a massive benefit to us all and we do indeed need to do everything we can to ask all Courts to use the same Direction.

Once again, many thanks for this thread - Adam.

• Haha 1

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

In reply, the majority of defendants (Banks) who have been issued these directions have not complied and Judge Reid has found judgement in favour of claimants as soon as the deadline has expired. The only case i know of a bank complying with the directions is Barclays, but its still very early days yet.

Adam - Hi,

I think these directions are intended to speed up the process and force the banks into paying rather than wasting courts time. The other main change on these directions is that Guildford CC are only allowing 7 days rather than (I 'think' in other courts 28days - now that is a major change in our favour.

The court manager did say that they were getting very peeved off with the banks, I can see why the banks are doing it though - because they CAN :)

PS I ticked your scales :)

• Haha 1

Peter Anderson

Hi Peter

Many thanks for the reputation - have returned the compliment!

I currently have 2 claims before Ipswich County Court (as you'll see from my signature), and in both cases (as is apparently fairly standard for Courts in this part of the world) the Judge has ordered, amongst other things, that ". . . the Defendant shall file with the Court draft directions for this case to proceed as a test case . . . .". This would seem to have the same purpose as the Guilford Court's directions in encouraging banks to settle at that stage rather than push all the way to the Court door - at least I hope so!!!!!!!

However, having read the announcement about the OFT test case on the validity of the UTCCR's and Law of Penalties to bank charge claims, I fear that we are all now going to have to wait at least till the end of the year for the result of that case before we get anything more from the banks. That is assuming they apply for the 'waiver'. Oh well - wait and see time!

All the best - Adam.

I do my best to be helpful, but at the end of the day I'm not a professional - please seek further advice if you're not sure. On the other hand, if I have helped, please click my scales - thanks ;)

Current Claims (all for friends!) -

Abbey - over £4k - Court claim issued & AQ filed ('Tish vs Abbey'). Alloc'n Hearing 21 Sept - Claim stayed 29/8/07.

Cap One - just under £2k - WON (just over 2k!)('Tish vs Cap One')

Cap One - just under £1000 - WON (just over £1k) Nov 07 (JimmyBoy vs Cap One)

Lloyds TSB - £3.5k - Court claim issued, defence rec'd and AQ filed; Alloc'n hearing 7th Sept Claim stayed 29/8/07! (JimmyBoy vs Lloyds')

MBNA - over £1k for mis-sold PPI - WON - approx £1500(IpswichWitch vs MBNA . . .)

Glad to see this being issued from Guildford as I have today received exactly the same in the post (from Guildford). However Lloyds solicitors have already said their client is willing (?!) to settle and I have just signed their letter. However will not discontinue case until cleared funds in account.

Well done,

The OFT test case is going to screw me - £18.6k - and just when I was picking the colour of my new Harley Davidson Ultra Electroglide -;(

Peter Anderson

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems mine will be the first case to heard on the 14th at Guildford which is at 1030 and should last no longer than 1 hour. Now I am really scared what am I going to do being the first case to be heard, will judge be asking me any questions, what will we be doing within the 1 hour?

I did see a thread on the General forum that Guildford are one of the courts that are not issuing blanket stays but are doing on a case by case basis

Best of luck on the 14th - please update us all

Peter Anderson

Hi, Mizzpy

We had two cases heard in Guildford at the same hearing at the end of June. [problem] did not turn up and the Judge found in our favour in both cases. They certainly are not going to try and defend this as a trial case and pre-empt the OFT case. I expect they will not show. I do hope your case is not stayed and you are given judgement by default. Best of luck.

• 1 month later...