• Tweets

• Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
    • Your topic title was altered last June 23 by the owner of this forum in the interests of the forum Anyway well done on your result and concluding your topic, title updated.   Andy   .
    • So what    Why ? Consent Order/ Confidentiality ? This would be be invaluable to followers of your topic.  
    • Even on their map on their website, these parking rules encompass the whole pleasure park - there is no dedicated area for permits and another for free parking as stated. royal leisure park praking area map.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6066 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:? Hi

I have been in the process of claiming back my bank charges from Abbey for the past 10 months for around £3500. I have now got a date (31st July) for a pre-limy hearing with my local court.

I have read in several news papers that Banks are now turning up to court to defend. I am extremely worried about this as I was counting on the fact that they probably wouldn't attend.

I really don't understand what a pre-lim hearing is for - has anyone attended one? If so how can I prepare? Do I need to take anything with me?

I am so very nerious about this hearing, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

:?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi meatballfluff,

sorry i can't offer any help, only moral support. 10 months you say,bloody hell i thought my case was dragging, it's been about five months and i was beginining to think abbey and the courts had forgot about me.

Good luck anyway,

cassoili

Hi there

Gosh, 10 months does seem like an awfully long time, but in my opinion you are about to turn onto the home straight.

The link below explains what a Prelim hearing, and what you need

to take:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/guidance-notes/64911-got-court-date-guide.html

However, have you tried to negotiate a settlement with them now? This seems to be the way it is going.

Perhaps if you could post up the events from your submission of the claim to the Court, until now, someone may be able to help you further.

Above all, don't panic - you have come to the right place. :)

Best regards

Jo xx

Six Nations Champions 2009

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

:cool::-D:cool:

Hi Jo

Thank you for this information.

They did make me an offer of £1750 just after they filed their defence but as it was only half of what they owe me I turned it down. Would you write to them now and ask for another offer???

Thanks

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Yes I would - this week in particular has been very good for settlements, not me though :( , not far enough down the line yet!

Definately push for settlement - and stick to your guns. Everyone seems to be emailing, and getting responses. Just don't negotiate by phone, if possible - if it gets further down the line you will need copies of all attempted settlement negotiations for your bundle.

Hope that helps.

Best regards

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

Does anyone know where I can get an email address for Abbey or should I contact the Abbey lawyer that contacted me before.

What should I write in an email asking for a settlement?

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

You could try emailing Inga Kirkman as she appears to be the solicitor dealing with claims against Abbey. Send her an email explaining that you have a court date something along these lines:-

I realise from your defence that you do not agree with my legal analysis that the charges levied to my account amount to penalty clauses and are deemed unfair. I do however recognise the fact that the sum at issue between us is relatively modest and as such, it is not cost effect for either party to take the matter to trial. Therefore in order to avoid the inevitable time and cost associated with pursuing the claim to trial I am willing to settle the claim upon repayment of the charges applied to my account, together with statutory interest and costs totalling £xxxxxxx.

Only once in receipt of cleared funds will I then discontinue all action against Abbey in connection with this claim.

[email protected]

It worked for me

Hi People just reading your thread...i agree with Path_finder my court date is today the 29th June at birmingham i e-mailed inga Kirkman on Tuesday26th of June, Inga immediately replied stating that due a backlog she has not replied

Dear Sir,

Could you please contact me urgently today on . You can not have two I also have not received any notice of the listing of this matter before the Court on 29 June 2007

[

i replied by e-mail and she asked me to scan in the court papers once i did she settled straighaway and sent out a settlement letter in the post i recieved it on wednesday, i sent notification to court on Thursday to withdraw my claim,

i suggest you e-mai inga and take it from there good luck:cool:

hi meatballfluff

first of all dont panic its not that scary (and i havnt been to court before until today)you will probably be sorted before you goto the hearing i have been to one today 10am abbey will settle before the hearing i recieved in post on tuesday 26june a letter offering full and final settlement and the preliminary hearing was this morning just make sure your paperwork is all complete have a read of my forum you it might help you put your mind to rest

Hi

I have a pre-lim court date for the 31st July - I am claiming back around £3500. I posted a thread last week and I was advise to email Abbey Lawyer and ask for a settlement. I done this and received this response today (below). Not sure what to do now - don't really understand what she is saying. Think she is trying to say that there should be some kind of charge.

Has anyone else receive a response like this? Could someone please advise me what to do next, I am at a loss of what to do.

Thank you all

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email. With respect, your offer takes no account of the transactions that have occurred on your account. There must be a charge for such transactions. Should you wish to reconsider your position and put forward a more commercially palatable offer, we will be more than willing to consider the same.

Kind regards,

Inga Kirkman

Senior Associate

Solicitor, NSW

Hi

I sent an email to Inga Kirkman and received this response today (below). Not sure what to do now - don't really understand what she is saying. Think she is trying to say that there should be some kind of charge.

Has anyone else receive a response like this? Could someone please advise me what to do next, I am at a loss of what to do.

Thank you all

Dear Madam,

Thank you for your email. With respect, your offer takes no account of the transactions that have occurred on your account. There must be a charge for such transactions. Should you wish to reconsider your position and put forward a more commercially palatable offer, we will be more than willing to consider the same.

Kind regards,

Inga Kirkman

Senior Associate

Solicitor, NSW

Hi mbfluff - too late to type in full!

Anyway, yes she is trying to say that there should be some sort of charge - but no-one is arguing that, just that it should be about £2, not £35!!!

But it is a standard rebuff - until they disclose their actual costs, how can you negotiate a "commercially palatable offer?"

Keep going for the full amount - having read 100's of threads on here, it is going to go your way!

Best regards, and all my support

Jo xx

Triple Crown 2009

Grand Slam 2009

I recieved a similar sort of reply, then after a few more emails and telephone calls, I settled for £40 short of my full claim. It depends what you are willing to settle for, if you want the full amount, just reply back saying that you realise that they will not show up in court, so what is the point of prolonging the matter. If you want your money quickly try asking for 95%. I did that and she settled.

This is a standard response...they send it out in the hope people will back down.....particularly when you have gone to them for settlement. Personally, I would have waited for them to offer, which they would....usually a short time before the hearing date.

I would write back and say that you intend to seek settlement for the full amount...in court if necessary.

Don't worry about it, as Clarion has said it's a standard e-mail I am sure if you look in this forum you will see the same e-mail and some fantastic reply's I have a look and see if I can find any for you.

I have spoke to msssss kirkman and she was just as snotty with me stating that 65% offer is fair and unless it is commercially advatageous for her to look for the file and put it to the top no negotiating will take place...fine see you in court rambo..!!!

ps...any chance of sending me a copy of the fantastic replies you mentioned mariejader..

MJack

An ordinary man claiming back extraordinary charges.

I could not find them time ran out on me sorry

Have a look at Gary or Lula's posts I am sure it was one of them who drafted it.

I would also follow up your conversation in an e-mail to Abbey confirming Inga's snotty comments about no wanting to negotiate with you, it will help when you go to court, as you will be able prove you have attempted to settle but again Abbey are abusing the court system

Just succeeded getting full payout for my son without receiving any GOOD WILL offers throughout the court process and no contact from them until letter received on Saturday offering full claim settlement including interest to date and court costs etc.Court date was 23rd July. He's going to move banks now.

I had contemplated emailing and phoning to ask for early settlement but didn't. I really don't understand why Shabbey treat everyone so differently. No wonder some people lose their nerve. Perhaps that's Shabbeys tactic.

Di

Hi

Confused - really do not know what to do. I don't really want to go to court but obviously I would prefer to be paid out my full amount. Don't know whether to email Abbey again or to just wait.

Has anyone else been in this situation - what advise can you give me.

Thanks

Hi Meatballfluff!! I too have received this email from Inga, I have pasted my reply below (which I cobbled together from various sources on here!) in the hope that this is useful to you:-

Thank you for your email.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am fully amenable to an amicable settlement of this claim and am aware of my duty to mitigate my loss.

However, until such time as Abbey plc discloses verifiable information concerning its true losses incurred (if any) as a result of my contractual breaches, I will contend that the exorbitant charges which have been so liberally and indiscriminately levied to my account are unenforceable in their entirety.

Upon disclosure of such costs information, I will of course be happy to amend the value of my claim accordingly, in order that both parties may be in the same position as before the breach occurred - in accordance with the principles of common law upon which my claim is based.

If you have a read of my thread, there has been lots of emails exchanged between Inga and her colleagues and myself, the most they have offered me to date is £7200 out of a total claim of £7700. I am determined to hold out for the full amount but if you are prepared to drop your claim by a few hundred pounds you may be able to negotiate an early settlement. If you are not desparate for the money, rest assured that your claim will be settled in full prior to your court date, which isn't too far away. Hope this helps and good luck!!

[FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]29.1.07 - S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=darkorchid]17.2.07 - Preliminary letter sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]5.3.07 - LBA sent to Abbey[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]28.3.07 - N1 filed at Worcester CC![/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]1.7.07 - AQ filed at Worcester CC[/COLOR][/FONT] [FONT=System][COLOR=#9932cc]6.9.07 - Court Date!!![/COLOR][/FONT]