Trying to build a decent credit rating

pjdudley69
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5504 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've done a search, and I can't find anything in relation to this. I've been told that making purchases on a credit card can help build your credit rating if it's taken a bit of a battering [my credit rating isn't too great at the moment].

I'm wanting to build my credit rating back up to a decent standard and am prepared to have a CC to do this [i always said I'd never have one], but to make small purchases which I can pay off immediately, and give the card to my bf for safekeeping so that I can't overspend!

I've been told that Capital One offer a card with a high interest rate for people to establish and strengthen their rating at a rate of 29.9%apr. Does anyone know if this is only for people who don't have any credit history, or are relatively new to credit, or will they allow people with a crap history to have one? Also, are there any other companies about with a better apr who will give CCs to people with bad history?

Sorry for the long-winded post! Any information/advice would be much appreciated :D

PJ

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you got your credit file from Experian?

If so, what is the cause of your "poor rating"? It can be many things, but if you have an open default, adding another creditor isn't going to help... Neither will the deduction of points you get for the credit search they do when you apply.

A&L: Settled - £6,200

HFC: Settled - £800

Shell Visa: Settled - £250

Egg: Settled - £700

Mint: Settled - £1200

RBS: Settled - £850

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

I know someone who managed to get a Capital One credit card with a low credit limit - and had to pay a deposit to match that credit limit - with an extremely poor credit rating. This was due almost entirely to a single default entered against them which they are now disputing.

The credit card has been regularly used and paid off before interest gets added.

I don't have a clue whether this has helped them to get a better credit score but I don't think for a minute that it can have harmed it.

I'm not disagreeing with fivelaws here; I'm just relating anecdotal evidence which probably doesn't prove or disprove anything LOL.

This was due almost entirely to a single default entered against them which they are now disputing.

From personal experience, if you have a single default, not matter how good the rest of your finances are, you are mostly untouchable. Everything becomes more difficult to get, even secured loans.

I've had two defaults in my life. The first one was unjustified and I took BMW to court to get it removed. I have just started the process again with A&L who had the barefaced cheek to default me for non-payment of their bloody penalty charges (Thick end of £5k now being claimed back).

I know that you build up "points" for regularly making payments on cards/loans etc, but you need to find out why your credit rating is in the toilet first, to make sure this will eventually "clean" your rating.

• Confused 1

The opionions in this post are guaranteed to conform to the laws of physics, but pretty much nothing else...

I haven't had a credit report from Experien recently [last got one Dec 03], but know that I am still paying off two accounts that show as defaults on my report. I know that defaulted accounts are kept on file for 6 years from the date of default, but are they still removed even if the default isn't settled?

Advice & opinions given by pjdudley69 are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional. Also visit legal seagulls for more friendly help and advice.

You can only get these things removed AT ALL within the six years if you convince the organisation who placed it that they did so outside the law, or that they have made an error. Once they're on, if there's no suggestion that the debt was mostly unlawful charges, and there's no dispute on your part about the debt, they'll be on there six years, full stop.

Now, if you can make them back down and say "we put that there unlawfully" then it'll come off faster than Cynthia Payne's bra...

I don't think I explained myself too well there Stoney [sorry, I've had a few glasses of 'pop' :D]. I'm not arguing the defaults, what I'm wondering is I don't think that one of them will be settled within 6 years of the account being defaulted [unless I win the lottery], but will it still be removed from my credit file if still unsettled after the 6 years is up? [am I making sense yet?]

oh, that's confused me now cos on the report there's a note under each of the defaulted accounts that says " Defaulted accounts are kept on file for six years from the date of default, even if they are subsequently marked as satisfied by the lender".

That's completely thrown a spanner in my understanding, I only started off as wanting to know if they were still kept on file even if unsatisfied! That'll teach me to stop trying to widen my knowledge and understanding lol

Thanks anyway Stoney :D

no worries, I think it's probably time we went to bed and then maybe neither of us would be so confused lol

[just realised that sounds pretty bad - I meant to our individual beds, not together :::blushing:::] lol

Defaults - removed 6 years from the date of issue

Credit Rating - Well, there are discussions based on things like mobile phone contracts for instance. Having a credit (debt) card will possibly help, and the Cap One card is certainly a possibility - hell, they even gave ME one, and my middle name is default!!

Having more credit accounts open than you use is considered a bad thing, so if you have 'dormant' credit accounts with catalogues or banks, close them. It just suggests that you could possibly tap into more credit (debt) at any time.

The very best thing you can do now is not to be late making any payments on anything that you are contracted to. Things will get slightly better as time goes by, but the default will always be a big stumbling block, I'm afraid.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Make sure you are on your electoral role as this confirms to lenders that you are in a stable residence. Well not a stable - you know what I mean.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

no worries, I think it's probably time we went to bed and then maybe neither of us would be so confused lol

[just realised that sounds pretty bad - I meant to our individual beds, not together :::blushing:::] lol

OI!! gech yorr 'ands off my 'usband!

pmsl :grin:

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

I bet Jesus had a good credit rating*

* Religious satire on a Sunday? What am I thinking of...

I bet Jesus had a good credit rating*

* Religious satire on a Sunday? What am I thinking of...

lmao - Didn't you know Jesus founded the very first BAG? He did throw money-lenders out of the Temple for making profits from those forced to use them!

... a little

Mahala is a powerful thing ...

If you like my advice, please click the scales.

All advice is offered informally. If in any doubt, seek professional advice.

Barclays:claiming £908. Defence filed

Simply Be: settled in full

Abbey: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

GE Capital: Claim issued for DPA compliance order

Aktiv Kapital: Failed to comply with CCA disclosure. Debt unenforceable.

If this site has helped you, please make a donation to help keep it going.

OOh you lot are quick. PMSL:D

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PJ

I have done quite a lot of research on this topic, and in some case you can get both defaults and CCJ's removed, but before you can, you need to get a copy of your credit file, then you write to the loan company or whoever placed the default - see sample letter below:-

ABC Loans Ltd

etc

etc

etc

Re: Agreement ABC123456

Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to you concerning a record that has been recorded on my file by the credit reference agencies concerning a debt that I owed to you. If this debt has now been repaid or settled could you please write and confirm this so that 1 can clear my name with the credit reference agency. If the debt has not been settled could you please write and give me the details of what you would require to settle the outstanding amount.

The loan was taken out on the 10th December 1999 and the account number/reference was ABC123456.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Your faithfully

PJ etc

amend to suit

Once you get a letter back you can then start to take action to get said defaults removed. If you owe nothing and they agree for the default to be removed you write to all the credit reference agencies and send them a copy of the letter from the creditor stating they agree to allow the default to be removed.

CCN Group Ltd.

Consumer Affairs

P.O. Box 40

Nottingham

NG7 2SS

Dear Sir/Madam

I have enclosed confirmation from the county court that the enclosed judgement has been set aside. Could you please remove this county court judgement from my file immediately?

I also enclose a letter from ABC Finance stating that the loan from them has now been repaid in full and that they are prepared to have the default in my file removed. Could you please also remove this immediately? As soon as you have carried out the above could you please write and confirm this as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing your reply.

Yours faithfully

amend to suit

CCJ's are actually easier, I know someone who has done it very easily, and I am in the process now of having two set aside (not removed) set aside means in all likelyhood they will never be taken back to court especially if the set aside was due to unlawful bank charges etc. Once set aside you write the above letter to the CRA's and your file is then cleared. All this takes some time, but you should be able to do it in around 2 months, depending on how many you have, how quick they reply and if you can settle any default loans etc.

I have just written to the courts on two counts, one for a CCJ from Barclays for which a significant portion of the debt was unlawful bank charges and penalties and one for a consumer credit CCJ that in fact has been paid in full and I have a Certificate of Satisfaction for, but which I want removing from the records. I will let you know how I get on, letters are going off tomorrow.

There are ways, does not always work depends on your situation, but it can be done.

Chris

• Confused 1

Chrismc v Vertex Data Science Ltd

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Won - Settlement Agreed at 11th Hour.

Philips Bailiffs

Lost - Judge changed at last minute, it didn't help!

G-MAC Early Redemption Charges Waived

Won - Early Redemtion Fees Waived in Full.

PJ

I have done quite a lot of research on this topic, and in some case you can get both defaults and CCJ's removed, but before you can, you need to get a copy of your credit file, then you write to the loan company or whoever placed the default - see sample letter below:-

Once you get a letter back you can then start to take action to get said defaults removed. If you owe nothing and they agree for the default to be removed you write to all the credit reference agencies and send them a copy of the letter from the creditor stating they agree to allow the default to be removed.

CCJ's are actually easier, I know someone who has done it very easily, and I am in the process now of having two set aside (not removed) set aside means in all likelyhood they will never be taken back to court especially if the set aside was due to unlawful bank charges etc. Once set aside you write the above letter to the CRA's and your file is then cleared. All this takes some time, but you should be able to do it in around 2 months, depending on how many you have, how quick they reply and if you can settle any default loans etc.

I have just written to the courts on two counts, one for a CCJ from Barclays for which a significant portion of the debt was unlawful bank charges and penalties and one for a consumer credit CCJ that in fact has been paid in full and I have a Certificate of Satisfaction for, but which I want removing from the records. I will let you know how I get on, letters are going off tomorrow.

There are ways, does not always work depends on your situation, but it can be done.

Chris

Sorry, slightly hijacking the thread here but have you actually had any CCJs set aside for accounts containing unlawful charges? Have you used the unlawful charges argument in making the set aside application. I am personally very interested in this as I am about to try to do this myself but also if we can show that it can be done it will potentially help a very large number of people,

Sorry, slightly hijacking the thread here but have you actually had any CCJs set aside for accounts containing unlawful charges? Have you used the unlawful charges argument in making the set aside application. I am personally very interested in this as I am about to try to do this myself but also if we can show that it can be done it will potentially help a very large number of people,

Seminole

I have not yet had any set aside, that is why I stated I am just starting and it may not always work, however, I do know someone who has and the reason was because information that was not to hand when the judgement was made had since come to light, that is the basis I am using. You need to apply to the court using Form N244 stating your resons to have the CCJ set aside.

Also there are other reasons, but it is Item 9 that I am using, here is more information for you:-

To have your judgement set aside you will need to put forward a reason why. You must keep your reason as clear and simple as possible. Listed are quite a few valid reasons below

1. Were you given 28 days notice in order to pay?
  2. Were you living at the address when the summons and judgement took place?
  3. If you took out a loan or any form of credit were you in receipt of the Default Notice before receiving the summons.
  4. Did you receive the summons? They are not sent by recorded mail.
  5. Maybe you were unable to attend court and defend yourself.
  6. The judgement should not appear on the credit files if it was paid up within 28 days.
  7. If you agreed to settle 'out of court' with the plaintiff you should not have received a Judgement.
  8. If you did not receive any notification of the judgement/s made against you, then you can appeal.
  9. Did you agree with the full amount of the judgement at the time, but now only agree with part of the amount?
  10. Was the summons taken out against both yourself and another person jointly. If this is so, did you both receive your summons?
  11. It could have been that you were away from the time between the issue of the summons and entry of the judgement?
  12. Did you receive the summons on time for you to apply to the court. You have 21 days to reply to the court. If the summons was 21 days late then the judgement would have already been taken out against you?
  13. Did somebody use your name or address to obtain credit, which resulted in a County Court judgement without you knowing?

You can use any of the above reasons to have your judgements set aside.

Remember that no correspondence sent by the courts or the plaintiff is ever recorded. In the majority of cases County Court Judgements fail to comply with every detail.

This gives you the chance of having your judgement/s removed forever.

So in my opinion, if a significant portion of the debt was in fact unlawful bank charges and penalties, surely this is good enough reason to ask to have a CCJ set aside.

I am also trying with one that was paid in full, I see no reason why that cannot be set aside for the same reasons, even though it is marked as settled, I would much rather have it off my file then on it!!

The defaults are a slightly different proposition, as it really depends on the creditor agreeing with what you propose, they must give consent!! but I would have thought even if you still owe them money and you can find some money to make them a settlement offer subject to them agreeing to remove the default, I think you could legally have it removed. It is a win win situation, but you would have to be very careful how you approached them.

Just my opinions, but worth a try I think.

Chris

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

How old was your friend's judgment when he got it set aside?

I am not sure, but 1 - 2 years I think. If you have one set aside that you still owe there is always the chance the creditor could take it back to court, but from what I have been told this only rarely happens, and if they do not it remains off your credit file forever.

I am taking on Barclays over charges etc etc and whilst at it thought I would research removal of CCJ's, because afterall, if the charges are unlawful, then maybe the CCJ should never have been applied??? so I am now attacking them on both fronts, whilst this is in progress I am however still paying them monthly, just in case!! But I am pretty confident on both counts, after all this has been sorted out and charges etc refunded and I get my way and if there is a debt still owing they will have to come after me again, or pursue me through normal channels.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs

Seminole

Something I forgot to mention which is extremly important:-

It is possible to have a CCJ set aside providing you have not made a written defence to your summons, or attended court as Defendant, then the system will allow you to apply

If you have made a written defence or attended court as a Defendent then I don't think you can do this.

SD Set Aside WON + Costs

Chrismc v Barclays

Philips Bailiffs