Coming soon: Spicey v Sainsbury's

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5871 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

After the recent news that Jen and I are getting married, we decided to have a special dinner party today for family and friends. On Friday Jen bought a huge joint of beef from Sainsbury's, which cost almost £25.

I might not be qualified, but I know I am an accomplished cook, and after almost thirty years of practice I know how to cook a joint of beef. The pack suggested a cooking time of two and a half hours, but I know from experience that three and a half hours is a much better time for a joint weighing in at almost 6lb.

The joint was also marketed as "matured for extra tenderness," so I guessed that this was going to be a really special dinner. To put things in context we have a new cooker (three months old) and everything else was cooked just right. The beef, however, was in the oven for over four and a half hours, and when finally carved it was still mostly raw, and in a word was inedible.

As a result the dinner was a disappointment, the beef was not eaten, and there was great distress all round (luckily no-one was blaming chef...)

My complaint is geared around the fact that a very expensive joint of beef, cooked over and above the recommended time, was inedible. I dread to think of the health risks in general if people do cook meat for the time suggested by supermarkets. I firmly believe that for large joints (ie, those that need a long and slow pre-cook) a much better time guide should be given.

I have been a loyal customer of Sainsbury's for nigh on thirty years, and, barring the odd mouldy potato or bruised apple, have never had a reason to make a complaint in the past. Additionally, I would guesstimate that my cumulative custom with the supermarket over this time has been between £50,000 and £100,000.

For now I am just venting my spleen, and I am angry that what was meant to be a pleasant day has been ruined...I love cooking beef, and my little nephew was so looking forward to "Uncle Spice's" roast beef...tomorrow I will commence writing my letter of complaint, but for now I need to check the "Sainsbury's Published Conditions" (as implied on the receipt,) and also check to see if there are any "perishables" clauses in SOGA...

I want my money back, I want some form of compensation (such as a case of champagne for the wedding!!!) and I want an apology...and frankly I must confess I feel very disappointed with my position...I have often been called a "Sainsbury's snob" due to my undivided loyalty to the supermarket but today I feel very badly let down...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest Expressit

What else was in the oven at the same time and what position was the beef placed and temperature? If the roasting tin was in the centre and oven temperature set correctly, then a 6lb joint ought to be medium to well done after 3hrs.

I honestly don't see how you can blame Sainsbury's or the quality of the meat for not being cooked after being in the oven for that length of time.

The joint was cooking for four and a half hours, and was 90% raw and inedible...this was a prime cut of beef, and supposedly "matured for tenderness" - believe me, I do know how to cook a joint of beef.

My guess is this - it was labelled as topside, but was in fact silverside, which needs a longer, slower cook. And this in context with their recommended roasting times.

I have never had a complaint about Sainsbury's before, and have always upped their suggested times by 50%...this time the advice was ridiculous, and I intend to make a fuss about it...I have the "batch number," so it may well be that that silverside/topside argument is correct, and that this is a case of mislabelling...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Guest Expressit

I understand what you are saying, however had you cooked a piece of silverside for that length of time it would still have been cooked sufficiently, however it would have been as tough as an old boot.

I can't understand why anything cooked for that length of time would be 90% raw, unless you tried to cook it from frozen.

• 8 months later...

As a result the dinner was a disappointment, the beef was not eaten, and there was great distress all round (luckily no-one was blaming chef...)

Beef doesn't need to be fully cooked (unless they are burgers)

In fact when we do these, my other half likes her meat well done, and I like mine half-raw so I have the middle and the little one and the wife have the outside!