style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm moving into a friends flat in a few weeks, as one of their current housemates has decided to move out. The estate agents will have done absolutely nothing in finding the new tennant (myself), as it has all been arranged through my friends and myself. All that is required is for me to pay the required deposit and sign the relevant paper work. However, I suspect the estate agency will still attempt to sting me for admin fees. Seeing as they will have done nothing to justify this, are they still legally entitled to do so?

Seeing as they will have done nothing to justify this, are they still legally entitled to do so?

By not doing anything regarding you taking over, they are only doing as much as would be expected: collecting the rent and managing the property. There are significant complications in "replacing" a tenant on a joint contract. For example a repeat inventory and report inspection should be done to create an identifiable point that everyone can agree to. It is even worse if the tenant that has left is the Lead Tenant regarding deposit protection.

To protect yourself, you need to see a copy of the inventory and condition report to check that the property has not deteriorated - otherwise your deposit is at risk from dilapidations before you took occupation.

Ideally, and the cleanest way, is for the agent to create a new tenancy. In addition, the old tenant should sign an undertaking concerning the deposit and undiscovered dilapidations.

On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Read anything I write with the above in mind.

In addition to what Esio has said:

- Is the tenancy joint between the tenants? Or seperate?

- What esio said is correct. But it should be noted that IF it is a joint tenancy, a new tenancy has been created regardless.

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!