style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

After a visit from one of Drakes bailiffs in feb I was made to pay £900 for a £600 outstanding council tax bill from 2003 (which i honestly knew nothing about and am still contesting). Not satisfied they have called around again trying to collect the same debt. They claim to have sent me letters of intent to remove etc. but this is simply not true! After I phoned the council and told them about this they contacted Drakes and gave 'urgent instructions' not to visit my house. Despite this the bailiff phoned me and said he intended coming to my house after 7pm and removing goods. Again I contacted the council and they repeated their instructions to the bailiffs but he called again and said the same both that day, and at 8.30 the following morning. I have since established that they didn't have a court warrant to enforce this debt as it obviously didn't exist and was wondering if there was anything I could do about it. Also, how exactly do I go about making a complaint against the bailiffs certificate?

Jaylins

What remedies are currently available to those aggrieved by bailiffs’ actions? There are trade body complaints procedures (the Association of Enforcement Agencies and Enforcement Services Association), there are complaints to the relevant ombudsman and there are, of course, court claims for wrongful distraint or execution. In addition, there is the process of complaint against the county court certificate. It is a much neglected remedy, but in light of the plan to expand certification, it has become necessary for practitioners to revisit this process and reassess its potential.

The certification complaints procedure has the potential to be a very effective tool for setting standards in the industry and excluding undesirable individuals. The court has the power to revoke certificates and/or to award compensation. Certificated bailiffs must maintain a bond or indemnity to the value of £10,000 and this may be forfeit in whole or in part to cover damages and court costs if the court finds against a bailiff on a complaint.

Clearly, even the threat of a complaint can be a salutary experience for a bailiff, as the ultimate sanction can be exclusion from the business. For the complainant, moreover, the procedure is highly accessible: a very simple complaints form is filed in the relevant court without any fee being payable, and the bailiff must respond to this within 14 days. If no response is received, or if the judge considers it to be satisfactory, a hearing will be arranged at which the parties can be heard fully and in person.

[/url]

The draft Tribunals, Court & Enforcement Bill provides a practical opportunity to revive the little used complaint procedure against bailiffs’ certification, says John Kruse

In brief

• certification has been much neglected but could provide an effective means of regulating the industry ;
  • past case law indicates the potential scope of the process: judges have revoked bailiffs’ certificates for charging unlawful fees and for other abuses of their powers.

The draft Tribunals, Courts & Enforcement Bill published on 25 July by the Department of Constitutional Affairs will introduce significant changes to bailiffs’ law. Part 3, in particular, proposes major reforms: a single code of law and a single fee scale. The plan to create a single regulator, such as the Security Industry Authority, has been shelved in the wake of the Hampton Review, but instead there will be a major expansion of the present system of county court certification. At present, it is an obscure procedure that does not apply to all bailiffs (see below). The Bill (clause 45) envisages that, in future, all bailiffs will be required to a hold a certificate unless they are government staff or court officers. The remodelled certification process will become of prime importance as a means of regulating those who enter the enforcement industry and how they behave.

Complaining against county court certificates

What remedies are currently available to those aggrieved by bailiffs’ actions? There are trade body complaints procedures (the Association of Enforcement Agencies and Enforcement Services Association), there are complaints to the relevant ombudsman and there are, of course, court claims for wrongful distraint or execution. In addition, there is the process of complaint against the county court certificate. It is a much neglected remedy, but in light of the plan to expand certification, it has become necessary for practitioners to revisit this process and reassess its potential.

Private bailiffs who levy distress for rent, distraint for council tax and business rates and execution for road traffic penalties (parking penalties, bus lane violations and congestion charges) all have to hold a certificate from a county court. The certificate is granted if the court is satisfied that the bailiff is a “fit and proper person”. In reality, the certification process is not much of a test of the applicant’s character or knowledge as the court is unable to check any of the statements made on the application and the judge seldom has the time or information to test the applicant properly. However, the Distress for Rent Rules 1988, which regulate the process, also provide a procedure whereby an aggrieved individual can complain against a certificated bailiff (Distress for Rent Rules 1988 (SI no 2050), as amended by SI no 2360).

The certification complaints procedure has the potential to be a very effective tool for setting standards in the industry and excluding undesirable individuals. The court has the power to revoke certificates and/or to award compensation. Certificated bailiffs must maintain a bond or indemnity to the value of £10,000 and this may be forfeit in whole or in part to cover damages and court costs if the court finds against a bailiff on a complaint. Clearly, even the threat of a complaint can be a salutary experience for a bailiff, as the ultimate sanction can be exclusion from the business. For the complainant, moreover, the procedure is highly accessible: a very simple complaints form is filed in the relevant court without any fee being payable, and the bailiff must respond to this within 14 days. If no response is received, or if the judge considers it to be satisfactory, a hearing will be arranged at which the parties can be heard fully and in person.

An under-used procedure

The problem with certification is that, despite its potential, it has fallen into desuetude. The most recent reported complaint dates from 1991 (Manchester City Council v Robinson, Legal Action vol 10) and was not an encouraging example of the complaints procedure’s possible effectiveness. A certificated bailiff was accused of levying wrongfully for rent arrears after obtaining a suspended possession order for the same sum, of using incorrect documentation and of entering illegally using a landlord’s pass key. Although the court acknowledged the wrongfulness of all these actions, it declined to cancel the certificate; rather the bailiff had to pay £100 costs and gave an assurance that his paperwork would be updated to be brought in line with the forms prescribed in the 1988 Rules.

The Robinson case does not suggest that certification complaints are a productive route to redress for a client. However, the procedure has to be given another chance, in part because certification has by no means always been toothless and because of the growing evidence that many large bailiffs’ companies are flouting the law by allowing uncertificated bailiffs to undertake work for which a certificate is required.

Stemming abuses

The certification process was introduced by the Law of Distress Amendment Act 1888. The measure was a response to widespread public concern about the behaviour and qualifications of private bailiffs. County court judges from the outset used the new powers enthusiastically and proactively. They saw the new process as a means not only of disciplining wayward bailiffs, but of more generally regulating standards within the industry. Certificates need to be renewed periodically and some judges took the opportunity to quiz individual bailiffs on their knowledge of their powers and also to address them en masse on the standards expected of them.

For example, HHJ Parry at Manchester county court in 1910 warned that certificate holders had to act with discretion and discrimination. They had duties to all the parties involved – to the creditor, to the debtor, to the wider community – and to the court that awarded the certificate by ensuring that the poor were protected and that exempt goods were not seized in distress (Taylor v Ashworth [1910] 129 LT 578).

From the determinations made in individual complaints against certificated bailiffs, it may be further stated that certificated bailiffs must maintain the highest standards of behaviour when levying, avoiding rudeness, violence and drunkenness. Other unfit or improper behaviour which could lead to revocation of a certificate includes criminal acts such as assault, civil wrongs such as negligence and the detention of goods despite payment by the debtor and the misappropriation or mishandling of monies received (see for example Villeneuve v Clark [1890] 35 Estates Gazette 458; Re: Gurden [1894] 2 Property Market Review 410 & 872; Estates Gazette vol 47 p 171 & vol 48 p183). Many certification complaints have concerned abuses of the scales of fees which bailiffs are entitled to charge. Helpful cases include:

• In Re Longstaffe ex parte Robinson [1896] 49 Estates Gazette 60, a certificate was revoked because the bailiff had charged extortionate fees and had also left no inventory of the goods seized (in breach of his statutory duty) and had sold the goods at an undervalue to an associate.
  • In Duncombe v Hicks [1898] 42 Sol Jo 393, the bailiff lost his certificate for charging fees for work not actually undertaken by him.
  • In Mutter v Speering [1903] 119 LT 134, revocation was ordered because fees not authorised by the fee scale had been charged.

All these activities continue to be a cause of concern and it is clear that certification could still provide a speedy and efficacious remedy.

Moreover the potential scope of the complaints process appears to be broad. Certainly uncertificated bailiffs cannot undertake certificated work; also a certificated bailiff is liable for any trespass by his uncertificated assistant. It is further arguable to no uncertificated bailiff should be involved in any way with work for which a certificate is required – see Hogarth v Jennings [1892] 1 QB 907; Hawes v Watson [1892] 94 LT 181; Thomas v Millington [1892] 2 Property Market Review 472. In addition, the right to initiate a complaint lies not only with the debtor, but with the creditor, and, indeed, affected third parties, such as hire purchase lenders whose goods are wrongfully levied: see Perring & Co v Emerson [1903] 1 KB 1.

Leveraging the Bill’s potential

Clause 46 of the draft Bill states that new regulations will be made to replace the current Distress for Rent Rules. These will make provision (inter alia) for a complaints procedure, for the suspension or cancellation of certificates and for courts “to make information available in respect of certificates”. Hopefully, this will mean that the details of refusals or revocations will become publicly available. At present they are not and this is surely partly why the certification complaints procedure has been neglected. Nonetheless, much of the obscurity and disuse from which certification has suffered can be remedied now by practitioners pursuing suitable cases and publicising the outcomes in the professional press.

The procedure for initiating a complaint is very simple. A standard form exists (‘form 4’), although it would suffice to send a letter setting out the details of the parties, the debt and creditor involved, and describing the substance of the complaint. If you do not know the court which issued the certificate and to which the complaint should be addressed, you can ring Court Service Headquarters on 0207 210 1883 to check this; the information ought in any event to be supplied by the bailiffs’ company.

There has been a measure of doubt on the part of some county court judges as to the scope of the certification complaints system. This has been caused by government ‘tacking on’ a requirement for bailiffs levying local taxes and road traffic penalties to hold certificates without altering the basis upon which certificates are granted – that is, within the framework of the law of distress for rent. Some courts have been reluctant to entertain complaints that did not relate to the recovery of rent arrears. Department of Constitutional Affairs has, however, expressed the view that complaints may be made in three different situations:

• when there has been unfit and improper behaviour by a bailiff levying distress for rent;
  • in respect of the activity of a certificated bailiff levying any other debt. This is on the basis that, in most cases, the procedures that have to be followed are broadly the same in all forms of seizure of goods, so that a serious error collecting (say) a fine will indicate a general lack of fitness and propriety; and
  • in respect of the certificates of those individuals who are managers and directors of bailiffs’ firms, on the basis that, if they are unable properly to control and train their staff, they are not fit to hold a certificate.

To conclude, the scope of certification complaints is broad. The process was used in the late 19th and early 20th centuries to deal with many of the sorts of abuses that still are encountered today, as well as generally to raise standards within the enforcement industry. There is no reason why it cannot perform the same function again in the 21st century.

The Necesary Form is to make a complaint is available here

To find out where your Bailiff had their Certificate issued ring HMCS Bailiff register 0207 210 0516

:D wow!!

Thanks very much for your reply recycler, absolutely brilliant. I will have a very close look at where to go with this as it is a very long story between me and Drakes. Judging by some of the excellent information you have provided me with I have quite a few very real complaints to make about their whole set up.

Would I be right to assume they cannot visit my property or threaten to remove my possessions if they did not have permission from the courts? You see, the second time they visited me the 'debt' they were pursuing did not exist so surely they can't have been authorised to enforce it.

Jaylins

that was a cut'n'paste job from an article John Kruse wrote in the solicitors journal back in October 06

so I can't take the credit

If you had paid the debt the warrant should have been cancelled - therefore no legal basis for bailiff to continue to pursue you

how did you pay the £900 ? is there a receipt? bank statement? - hope you didn't pay cash!

also worth considering a Subject Access Request to the bailiffs for a printout of your files. (costs £10) - good supportive evidence should it be needed....

when a bailiff is paid there should be a remittance to the creditor usually monthly or weekly. It would be worth checking with the creditor council that the bailiff has paid over what was collected from you....

see the sticky about fees chargeable for collecting council tax. as you would appear to have been charged in excess of the allowable amounts,

More questions!

Can bailiffs levy a car worth £5,000 for a debt of £900?

Can bailiffs levy a car if it is on hire purchase?

thanks,

JAYLINS

Can i just say is that bailiffs do not need a court warrant for council tax, its called a liability order with regards to council tax.

Yes a bailiff can levy on a car worth £5,000 for a debt of £900. If the car was sold at auction it would probably only get a fifth of the value of the car. I believe a bailff would not know if the car was on hire purchase if they had levied on it. If you have paid more than either 50% or 66% towards the car then the answer is yes. If the car is taken then it would be up to the finance company whether to release the car back to you or that they have no more interest in the car.

Thanks for your reply Pizzamaker,

Please forgive my ignorance regarding the liability order as i am new to all this! What exactly is a liability order and can they visit your house without one as, as i have prevoiusly explained, the last time they visited the debt didn't exist.

Also, with regards to the hire purchase car, the bailiff done some sort of check and when I told him it was on HP he said he already knew and that he could take it anyway. Incidentally it was only 4 months after I had taken out the hire purchase agreement so i doubt it was even 5% paid for!

Jaylins

Thanks for your reply Pizzamaker,

Please forgive my ignorance regarding the liability order as i am new to all this! What exactly is a liability order and can they visit your house without one as, as i have prevoiusly explained, the last time they visited the debt didn't exist.

Also, with regards to the hire purchase car, the bailiff done some sort of check and when I told him it was on HP he said he already knew and that he could take it anyway. Incidentally it was only 4 months after I had taken out the hire purchase agreement so i doubt it was even 5% paid for!

Jaylins

If there is a default in you paying your council tax then the council apply to the court to have a liability order issued the CT payer, this then enables a bailiff to visit you to try and reclaim the debt plus their charges. The council will normally give you a chance (send you a letter informing you that there are obtaining a liability order), you then attend court (well a room next to court) and they ask you whether you can pay this back at an agreed rate, if you agree, the liability order will not be issued.

They can not really take your car but then they can in hope of you paying and it being an inconvience to you. The worse thing the council can to is issue you with a stat demand which means they will try and bankrupt you. A few councils are now doing this but only to persistent debtors and they are now paying.

that was a cut'n'paste job from an article John Kruse wrote in the solicitors journal back in October 06

so I can't take the credit

If you had paid the debt the warrant should have been cancelled - therefore no legal basis for bailiff to continue to pursue you

how did you pay the £900 ? is there a receipt? bank statement? - hope you didn't pay cash!

also worth considering a Subject Access Request to the bailiffs for a printout of your files. (costs £10) - good supportive evidence should it be needed....

when a bailiff is paid there should be a remittance to the creditor usually monthly or weekly. It would be worth checking with the creditor council that the bailiff has paid over what was collected from you....

see the sticky about fees chargeable for collecting council tax. as you would appear to have been charged in excess of the allowable amounts,

Thanks again recycler,

yes i do have receiprts for the payment. It has now been accepted that there was a series of mistakes on Drakes part and there was indeed no debt to collect. I am sending an SAR tomorrow and will then try to gather as much relevant material as possible to take this as far as i can.

thanks again!!

jaylins

If there is a default in you paying your council tax then the council apply to the court to have a liability order issued the CT payer, this then enables a bailiff to visit you to try and reclaim the debt plus their charges. The council will normally give you a chance (send you a letter informing you that there are obtaining a liability order), you then attend court (well a room next to court) and they ask you whether you can pay this back at an agreed rate, if you agree, the liability order will not be issued.

They can not really take your car but then they can in hope of you paying and it being an inconvience to you. The worse thing the council can to is issue you with a stat demand which means they will try and bankrupt you. A few councils are now doing this but only to persistent debtors and they are now paying.

So if the debt they are trying to collect doesn't exist then they cannot have a liability order to enforce it and so cannot visit my house and threaten to remove goods?

With regards to the car, if they can't take it then they can't levy it and charge me levy fees and tow truck fees surely!!

JAYLINS