Old Age Pensioner -v- HSBC

vandermerwe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5992 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could a kind member just help me to get started in the most effective manner?

I get benefits of £270 odd paid into my account weekly for my wife and me.

Due to illness, that's our sole income at the moment and includes pension credit, attendance allowance and carer's allowance.

For some six years there were no charges or interest levied as the account was always in credit.

I took a £1000 overdraft at Christmas which tided us over, but 3 months ago asked for this to be increased to £1500.

This was when I realised I could not speak by telephone to the branch where the account was held, and my requests for the increased limit always resulted in the response to go into my local branch which, having moved, is now a 3 hour round trip away.

HSBC paid some cheques, however, but over the last 90 days have zapped us with some £500 for "arrangement fees" which include - believe it or not -

£60 for deciding they wouldn't pay any more plus £30 each for bouncing three!

I am still trying to decide the best initial approach by letter and wonder whether it should be sent to a) the branch b) the Credit Department in Salford or c) the bank's Head Office in London.

My letter could, in effect, say a) your charges are unfair, remove them and I'll bring the account in line a.s.a.p. but I need to draw money for food and pay for gas, water etc.b) formally demand first right of appropriation on my weekly stipend c) go in with that plus a formal demand to reclaim all charges.

I want to send the letter this week and would really appreciate some expert opinion.

And, yes, I might be in my seventies but I'll definitely go to court if need be.

Thanks in advance.

Vandermerwe

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the forum -

you have every right to reclaim those unfair charges.

my advise is two fold - first to read all you can for a couple of days on the site and become familiar with what is going on - read success stories and those with WON next to them and more importantly - read this which includes the faqs and step by step instructions on how to go about reclaiming. Newcomer? Here's A User Guide

when you are ready - you start with asking for your statements - or you get them on-line. once you have them you are ready to begin.

now, i said i had a second bit of advice for you -

take a look at this:

Right of Appropriation - Stop the bank from taking your money

reading this - you will see that it is not on - them taking money from your benefits to pay themselves - you can stop them by using the method in that link.

so, get reading and come back here with questions about your the procedure if you need to.

very good luck to you

Vandermerwe, it's good to see the fighting spirit is strong with you ! I wish you all the best in claiming back what is rightfully yours.

The title of your thread reminds me of a Jack Dee skit though;

"I don't like the phrase 'Old Aged Pensioner', I don't think it's fair to call them the same thing three times!"

r-t-v

25/01/07 Statements collected online

27/01/07 Prelim sent

09/02/07 Thank you letter received (and duly ignored)

12/02/07 LBA on its way

27/02/07 MCOL filed

26/03/07 Defence entered

02/04/07 Notice of transfer paperwork received

10/04/07 Lattie's hastner sent

19/04/07 AQ arrived (never mind lattie!)

20/04/07 Last Chance letter sent to DG, AQ filled out.

08/05/07 AQ returned to courts, cc'd to DG

11/06/07 Request for the defence to be struck out sent after not hearing from the court for 5 long weeks.

14/06/07 Directions hearing set for the end of August. 10 long weeks away.

14/06/07 rob-the-viking waits yet longer......

23/08/07 DG apply for a stay, instantly granted by judge.

29/08/07 The waiting begins again, 7 months since prelim was sent.

"If you kick a Tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan to deal with it's teeth!!"

Thanks for your moral support r-t-v.

Wonder what Jack Dee would have said about HSBC's £30 three times for 3 cheques - and another £60 for deciding to do it.

Bit like the plumber's bill for £100.50 to change a tap washer - cost of washer 50 pence; knowing how to do it £100!

Van

Thanks lateralus for your help.

I've downloaded loads of stuff to read - but there always seems more!. This is truly an amazing site!

It's an old fashioned way, I know, but my poor computer skills are such that I can't take extracts from threads, or highlight anything for future reference.

Regards.

Van

Sorry freakyleaky, can't do.

He went back to Cracow for saying he couldn't stand the bloody weather here.

Thanks for your moral support.

In the absence of any contrary info. I'm just going to send all my mail to my original branch in Kidderminster. I know it's still there but all cheques sent to them for credit seem to show up in Coventry, Bristol and other locations.

Have heard (not on the CAG site) that mail sent to the branches of the Big Bas....(sorry, Banks) are, by some cunning plan by Royal Mail, diverted elsewhere.

Regards

Van

Sorry freakyleaky, can't do.

He went back to Cracow for saying he couldn't stand the bloody weather here.

Thanks for your moral support.

In the absence of any contrary info. I'm just going to send all my mail to my original branch in Kidderminster. I know it's still there but all cheques sent to them for credit seem to show up in Coventry, Bristol and other locations.

Have heard (not on the CAG site) that mail sent to the branches of the Big Bas....(sorry, Banks) are, by some cunning plan by Royal Mail, diverted elsewhere.

Regards

Van

Hello Van.

I'm subscribing as promised. It looks like you've got off to a flying start. I told you that the good people of the HSBC forum would rally round. :D I looked for your thread yesterday but couldn't find it. Then again I'm still recovering from the flu-like with nasties bug that is going around.

Please ensure that you send your post Recorded Signed For or Special Delivery, so you have proof of posting and can track the letter. I use Special Delivery for Prelim Letters, 1st Class Recorded Signed For, for LBA letters.

Apparently HSBC Prelim and LBA letters need to be sent to:

Colin Langdale,

Senior Service Quality Officer

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds LS11 0PP

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

deedee x

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

Hiya Van, If you get any response from HSBC at all it will be from Uncle Colin Langdale and his merry men at the Leeds address, but all roads lead to him anyway so your branch, head office at Canada Square or Leeds are all good.

pete

Hi Deedee. I knew you would find my thread because you said you would. I have more faith in the integrity of people on this truly amazing site than I do in the average promiser of barmicidal allure.

Sorry I'm not 'coming the old acid' as my Aussie friends would say.

I might be a near bankrupt, decrepit failure in life (that's what my wife tells me) but I did study and graduate in classics hence the occasional pompous phrase that tends to slip through.

Apropos my wife (God bless her) she's taking the situation really, really badly but cannot see the irony in the fact that the branch of HSBC where I opened the account used to be the Midland Bank where she worked 50 years ago and the manager treated her like a daughter - even when a young Van used to come into the branch (where he didn't even have an account to 'befriend her')

What goes around, as they say.....

Sorry for the divergence but isn't that what makes this site so friendly?

I'm not off to a flying start - just a wobbly hand start!

Am sending a WITHOUT PREJUDICE letter to the Branch by recorded delivery tomorrow to see if we can reach an amicable agreement together with a reminder about telephone harassment and first rights of alienation giving seven days notice of further action.

It's just - at the end of the day - a silly old b....r like me tends to follow his instincts, and since an 'anonymous donor' (our son) sent an envelope with £100 in cash we can eat for a week.

Bless you Deedee.

Van

Hello Van.

I'm subscribing as promised. It looks like you've got off to a flying start. I told you that the good people of the HSBC forum would rally round. :D I looked for your thread yesterday but couldn't find it. Then again I'm still recovering from the flu-like with nasties bug that is going around.

Please ensure that you send your post Recorded Signed For or Special Delivery, so you have proof of posting and can track the letter. I use Special Delivery for Prelim Letters, 1st Class Recorded Signed For, for LBA letters.

Apparently HSBC Prelim and LBA letters need to be sent to:

Colin Langdale,

Senior Service Quality Officer

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds LS11 0PP

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

deedee x

Deedee

Arrrgghhh, will it matter that we sent ours to our local branch?

Hiya Van, If you get any response from HSBC at all it will be from Uncle Colin Langdale and his merry men at the Leeds address, but all roads lead to him anyway so your branch, head office at Canada Square or Leeds are all good.

pete

:)

If you send letters to your branch they get shipped up to Leeds. This may mean that your letter may take a while longer to be dealt with.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Hi Dispirited your question to me has already been answered!

Keep up the good fight!

deedee x

My threads

deedee1310 v Abbey, deedee1310 v Capital One, deedee1310 v Halifax Plc, CapQuest CCJ, deedee1310 v Littlewoods & deedee1310 v Smile

If I have been of help in even the smallest way, please click the star and "add to my reputation" :p

Hi all you good folk out there. I've bitten the bullet and am sending the first shot by recorded mail tomorrow.

I've never believed in showing all my cards at once so have only referred to seeking advice from the sources recommended by the Bank which, for some reason didn't include CAG!

I have however quoted what the National Debtline termed "unfair charges" and first rights of appropriation.

I don't want to put too much on this thread as I damned sure the banks and DCAs download copies of everything on here.

Just like the silly oaf who videoed himself doing something like 120 mph and boasted about it on Pepipoo (the motorists' equivalent to CAG). Very shortly thereafter Plod was feeling his collar - I think he's been released from Belmarsh now due to overcrowding!

Thanks again to all of you out there - will no doubt be shouting for help again next week or so.

Van

Hi Van,

It is fine to send your letter to your branch, but you will almost definately get a response from Leeds. I sent both my prelim letter and letter before action to my local branch as I didn't receive any response within the first 14 days. Good luck in your claim. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]If you think my post was helpful, please feel free to click my scales

A prudent question is one-half of wisdom.

:D

Thanks pinkdutchess.

Totally off topic I know (but I need it after this week's learning curve) but how do you get the striking image beneath your identity name? Does it come automatically when you are graded 'gold' or 'platinum' - unlike 'basic' old me?

Van

Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post. To add one go to the blue bar towards the top of the page, press on 'user CP' then press on 'edit avatar' to include a picture of your choice. Theres loads of websites that you can pick one from & download ready to copy onto here. :) I'll be interested to see what you choose :D

victor meldrew?

p.s. oap, you've been here long enough to get our humour haven't you!!!! i like a joke but never would wish to offend!!!!

i personally have my birthday in two and a quarter years circled on my planning calendar as the very first thing i'm doing that day is getting my damn bus pass!!!!!

victor meldrew?

p.s. oap, you've been here long enough to get our humour haven't you!!!! i like a joke but never would wish to offend!!!!

i personally have my birthday in two and a quarter years circled on my planning calendar as the very first thing i'm doing that day is getting my damn bus pass!!!!!

"I dont belieeeve it"!!! to quote the man himself.

Getting a bus pass? LOL! Actually my daddy is getting his bus pass soon too don't think he'll be giving up his beloved Merc yet for a Merc LT Bus! Van is a man of the world and as you say, I think he'll definitely get the humour! :p

deedee x

My threads