Big Norm taken to court

Big Norm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6128 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Barclays wrote to me in June saying I owed them £500 on my old bank account I stopped using last year. They threatened court action if I didn't pay up. I knew there were loads of charges on it but hadn't got round to trying to reclaim them.:(

I wrote back to them on the 13th June and asked them for a breakdown of charges over the last 6 years and suggested they didnt go to court till the matter of the charges had been addressed. I didnt get a response but instead a claim was issued to me through the county court dated 5 July for the £500. :evil: I phoned them the next day and within a couple of days got a breakdown of the charges and have now worked worked out they owe me £1100. I've completed an Acknowledgement of Service and sent it to the court so Ive got 28 days from the 5th to submit a defence and counterclaim.

I've written back to Barclays with my claim and justification for it but will I have to do this through the court now? I haven't found any threads where anyone is stating charges in defence of a claim from the bank and I'm a little unsure what to do. This is the first time I've made a claim too.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

Big Norm

Hi Big Norm

If Barclays issued a claim after they had already been advised by you that you were disputing charges, I believe their claim is invalidated as they are not allowed to take court action to recover sums on an account that is "in dispute".

Very shortly, you will get some legal eagle replies to this post so I'll go sit in a corner now :D

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Thanks Welshcakes that's worth knowing. I must admit I thought it was a bit much that they went ahead with their claim when I'd sent quite a reasonable letter to them offering to resolve both issues (course I knew they owed me more than I owed them). There was a 3 week gap between my letter and their claim and I posted it to the section dealing with it so it was just bloody mindedness on their part really.

By the way how did you get that fish bouncing around under your name. That's very cool.

Big Norm

Norm

You can upload any avatar you wish as long as it isn't too big for the forum spec. Go to User CP in top blue line of this page which will take you to your User page. Then just select edit avatar and upload anything you have on your hard drive :)

... still waiting for the legal bods to pop their heads into this thread and give you the correct response for Striking Out the bank's Claim .... anyone?

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

3 Wins :

Welshcakes, personally I think this week's avatar is below your usual standard and quite disappointing. More effort needed to maintain your usual high standard.

Sorry for the hijack Norm, Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yes Slick, I know ...hhhuu hhheemmm....

I take all complaints very seriously. I have passed your comments onto my Customer Service Department who will thoroughly investigate the matter. I aim to get back to you in the year 2013 or the morning of the hearing whichever is sooner given the current court backlog.

Alternatively, were I able to trace your details which are now Statute barred, I would send you cart loads of total bummpphhh to make you feel extra special and of course demonstrate the personal attention I am giving to your valued comments.

:D

3 Active Claims:

3 Wins :

Welshcakes, I await your prompt response, LOL!

Big Norm, I know you're still waiting for a Site Helper to look at your posts above to advise how to proceed - they'll come back to you.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)