Is My Agreement Enforceable - Useful

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could someone cast an eye over a CCA response I've had that I've posted over in the mail order catalogue forum pretty please:confused:

Link:-http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mail-order-catalogues/214555-n-group-jd-williams.html

many thanks

Morph

Can a Credit Card Application containing Key Financial Information (interest rates etc, loss and theft of card and genral information about missing payments and default charges be said to be an Consumer Credit Agreement. It also says 'once you have signed this agreement, you will have a short time to cancel it. We will send you the exact details of how and when you can do this.'

There is no credit amount or credit limit. At the end it below my signature it says By signing this you authorise us when considering YOUR APPLICATION to gain additional relevant information, credit references, electoral role etc

The application form only has my signature...

It also has - we will tell you your credit limit when you first revieve your card.

My question is can an application for a credit card, be used as a enforcable CCA??

Hi 1273

It's almost impossible to say if your credit agreement is enforceable or not on the info. you have given. If you can post up a copy (minus personal details), you might get a more definitive reply from CAGers.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

1273 - please put questions on one thread only. In fact, it is better to start your own thread - stops us all getting confused.

An application for can be an enforceable agreement if it has the debtor's signature and the prescribed terms - credit limit, repayment terms and interest rate (for a credit card, anyway)

This is 1273's thread:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/215196-monument-cca-correct.html

However you need to upload your attachments again 1273 as the originals have been removed as they contained your personal details. It is not wise to post personal info on an open forum.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Thanks. THis is not a properly executed agreement and can therefore only be enforced by a court (s65 CCA 1974). However, it fulfils the minimum requirements (your signature, prescribed terms - credit limit, repayment terms and interest rate - and cancellation rights) to allow a court to enforce it. A court might decide not to, but they are not prevented from doing so by s127.

This is assuming the agreement was signed before CCA 2006 came into force

• 2 weeks later...

Phew... just read entire thread.

Thanks everyone for all your queries and answers. Having checked and rechecked all my CCA the only two I would like clarification on are my Cahoot cc and Cahoot Flexible Loan. The only thing missing is my right to cancel. Is that a prescribed term?

Not sure if I've added my thread link properly :confused: sorry dont know how to do it....it's called 'Cahoot flexi loan - CCA rec'd back' in the Cahoot section

x:)x

Edited by texanbar
tried pasting my link - DOH! didn't work

Hello there ive got exactly the same with my Egg card agreements the right to cancel is part of the 1974 CCA ACT but nowhere in the Eg agreement is it referred to not even in the separate supporting generic terms and conditions they have sent with the copy agreement. But the ACt also mentions they can be posted with the card and use of the card is deemed acceptance of this right.

But how do you know they wont just say they did that as without a signature there is no way of knowing I suspect the ACT means its got to be in the agreement too AND posted out withe card ?

If someone could clarify this it might help save me £20k at Egg.

Hello there ive got exactly the same with my Egg card agreements the right to cancel is part of the 1974 CCA ACT but nowhere in the Eg agreement is it referred to not even in the separate supporting generic terms and conditions they have sent with the copy agreement. But the ACt also mentions they can be posted with the card and use of the card is deemed acceptance of this right.

But how do you know they wont just say they did that as without a signature there is no way of knowing I suspect the ACT means its got to be in the agreement too AND posted out withe card ?

Hi capt, pre 2005 Egg agreements do have flaws in their CCA. pt2537 (post #483) has a brilliant link on the bottom of his signature which is a really good read. Alternatively, have a look in the Other Institutions - Egg threads, and you find copies of CCA that Egg have sent to other caggers.

x:)x

Edited by texanbar
typo

If you start your own egg thered, you should get more advice and those that help will be able to keep track.

Strangely, the right to cancell is not a prescribed term, but needs to be on the signature document, or a note directing you to it.

Vint

Hello I did start my own thread but someone hijacked it and put it back on here - i dont know how or why someone would want to interfere but he thought it should be in this thread. As i am not entirely sure as to how this site works I did not know any better at the time. Also thanks for the reply if its not a prescribed term the court may enforce ? but if its supposed to be part of the agreement I suppose its discretionary is it or is it mandatory ? and are they thus likely to enforce ? Also no credit limit in the agreement which IS a prescribed term but can that be stated as we will advise you of the credit limit instead and be valid ?

Thanks

Hello I did start my own thread but someone hijacked it and put it back on here - i dont know how or why someone would want to interfere but he thought it should be in this thread. As i am not entirely sure as to how this site works I did not know any better at the time. Also thanks for the reply if its not a prescribed term the court may enforce ? but if its supposed to be part of the agreement I suppose its discretionary is it or is it mandatory ? and are they thus likely to enforce ? Also no credit limit in the agreement which IS a prescribed term but can that be stated as we will advise you of the credit limit instead and be valid ?

Thanks

Hi,

I don't think that it has been hijacked, just moved from the letter templates area. It is now in Debt Collection, Here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/215212-key-ingredients-enforceability-credit.html

Hi

Can anyone help as I've requested a copy of my Credit Card Agreement with MBNA for an account which was passed on to 1st Credit. Apart from receiving an agressive call from 1st Credit they have now sent me an electronic copy of my application form for a credit card from MBNA. Is this the Credit Card Agreement or should I be asking for something else as my application just states my details (Name/Address/DOB/Employer and Salary) with the terms and conditions of use of the card. Oddly enough it also quotes up to £5000.00 interest and not above whereby my card limit exceeded that amout. I also ticked payment protection insurance and I am not sure if I paid or not as the agreement was taken out in 1996.

Hi

Can anyone help as I've requested a copy of my Credit Card Agreement with MBNA for an account which was passed on to 1st Credit. Apart from receiving an agressive call from 1st Credit they have now sent me an electronic copy of my application form for a credit card from MBNA. Is this the Credit Card Agreement or should I be asking for something else as my application just states my details (Name/Address/DOB/Employer and Salary) with the terms and conditions of use of the card. Oddly enough it also quotes up to £5000.00 interest and not above whereby my card limit exceeded that amout. I also ticked payment protection insurance and I am not sure if I paid or not as the agreement was taken out in 1996.

You'll need to scan it, remove personal info and then post it up for people to advise properly.

To find out if you paid PPI send a subject access request to the original lender MBNA, if you use the one from the debt templates it'll ask for everything they hold on you... costs £10 and they have 40 days to comply. If the PPI was mis-sold you could claim it back from them (with the interest they have charged) to off-set against the balance.

S.

Foofighter, it would be a good idea to start your own thread, that way you wont get lost in what is essentially a reference thread:) and extremely long !.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Bump

What exactly are you bumping for :confused:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4783 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks