Lost My Kilt Jacket!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that give the company to ask for huge sums of money to replace missing item? (General question, I have absolutely no idea how much it costs to replace a kilt jacket;) !)

They could claim for the cost of a new jacket, minus depreciation for the age of the lost jacket.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

It'd probably have to be a like-for-like replacement, with, as I said, less for the age and general wear of the original jacket. That's something for the court to decide IMHO - claimant gives their idea of cost and justification for this assertion, defendant does the same for their own idea and justification, and then the judge decides what's fair.

Damn, this'd be right up rosiecotton's street :)

-----

Ok I paid £10 when I ordered it. Then the rest the day I picked it up. I am willing to pay £100. They said it would cost £280 to buy a new one! but thats a "new" one. And I did not sign anything saying I would be liable to buy a brand new one! what a mess I have got myself in !

You're not liable for a new one unless you were the first person to hire the jacket in question. As I said above, you would be liable for the cost of a new one, minus depreciation (so how old the jacket was, plus how many people are likely to have hired it), and minus the money you paid on the deposit (which I'm assuming now adds up to £45?)

-----

My son runs a formal wear hire department for well known High Street store and has advised of their policy.

Accidental Damage is covered up to £200.00. ie. Cigarette Burn or Drink Spill.

Loss of garments are not covered by insurance and remain the responsibility of the hirer.

Their normal charge for the loss of a jacket would be approximately a further payment of 80% of the original outfit hire charge.

Think yourself lucky it wasn't the Kilt as this would be Two to three times the outfit hire charge had it been lost.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

Guest weegirl
Think yourself lucky it wasn't the Kilt as this would be Two to three times the outfit hire charge had it been lost.

That would have been a sight to see - especially if you wear your kilt like a true Scot!

They can call the police, but since it's a civil matter, I doubt that they'd get involved.

However, just in case, if you haven't yet, you really should report the jacket as stolen from the club and get a crime number.

I would also stop communicating by phone, and start getting things in writing. I think the important thing here is to get them to produce their T&Cs and take it from there, and people yelling at one another over the phone is not going to help anyone.

FWIW, my personal opinion is that if they are not insured for the loss/theft of this type of item, you should be liable for the cost of replacement for a like for like (bearing in mind age/condition of said jacket) on top of what you paid for the hire (since yougot the benefit of that anyway).

Careful of getting this dragged on for longer than necessary, though. It might be arguable that whilst they don't have the jacket or a replacement, they could claim loss from you. After all, it's wedding season and rented kilt jackets are probably being hired out a lot at the moment, so they are effectively minus one jacket to hire and at £45 a pop, it will soon mount up, and if it were my shop, my jackets, I would definitely claim that off the person who hasn't returned the item.

yes m8! now its making sense! lol...

How could I get a rough idea of that cost though? ...

Do you think £100 is a fair sum to give?

I do, if you've already given them £45. Make them an offer.

Have you contacted the police?

I've told you what to do! :-)

1) Call the police to report theft - Looks like you have done that, but ifit were me, I would have gone down to the station, because around here, if you wait for them to turn up, you could be growing moss round your bare Scottish butt before they do. (A friend of mine got a bullet put through her windscreen outside her house, she found the bullet in her headrest, that was 6 weeks ago, she hasn't even had a return phonecall!) But it might be different where you are, I don't know.

2) Contact the shop and ask them to provide you with a copy of their T&Cs. For this purpose, I would suggest you write to them, so that you start laying a paper trail to show that you are not just ignoring them. Say that you are not prepared to just pay up whatever they say simply because they say so, so you want a) a copy of their T&Cs relating to hire and loss/damage to items, b) a quote for the replacement of a like for like jacket in relation to age and condition of the lost jacket from their usual suppliers. Tell them that you do not take kindly to their intimidatory threats of involving the police when you have tried to maintain an open dialogue with them all along ( I hope that's true!), and to desist from such behaviour. Tell them that you will contact them once they have complied with your request for information.

Yes well over the phone they say it will cost £280 for a new jacket and they will let me off with £190? so If I do all this they might get mean and ask for the £280?

surely it cant cost all that when my mate bought a kilt for £250 which was much nicer than the 1 I had and that was for the full kilt!

Never mind what they say over the phone!

Look, you can sit here and worry about what MIGHT happen, or you can type that letter likeI have just told you and get it sent off, and actually start dealing with this the right way.

At the moment, I am sorry to say, you are having a case of the "I wish..." and it's not going to help you.

You can keep worrying at it or you can do something to make things move forward, up to you. :mad:

Ok I had the police at my door last night. They were shocked at the companies attitude (nasty on phone) and about the charges (£190) they were trying to put on me. They said they will give me a crime reference number to take into the shop so they can claim on their insurance.

I also phoned up a kilt company who stated the maximum they charge for loss of jacket is £80. I am going into the shop to have a scan at terms and conditions today.

Could be interesting (hope they dont try and attack me)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...