• Tweets

• I would have thought so but I'm no lawyer. What did the one that you spoke to say? You could also google about how/when a will trust is set up to get more of an idea before you speak to the original lawyer. HB
    • While I am waiting for the original solicitor to ring back about the will can I ask. After my dad passed they were informed about this an released a copy of the will to me and my brother, should they have set the trust up then as they were informed of his passing?   Thanks again
    • .. A tired little trump simply run out of wind ..  for a little while ...
    • Another one. Apparently this has been hushed up for about three months. They're working through their majority quite fast with all the sackings. Not that they've done anything about Menzies yet but he sounds like a blackmail risk. Here's the original article.   Revealed: Tory MP allegedly demanded campaign cash to pay ‘bad people’ ARCHIVE.PH archived 18 Apr 2024 07:32:33 UTC  
    • and another one   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds "According to a source close to Mr Menzies, the MP had met a man on an online dating website and gone to the man’s flat, before subsequently going with another man to a second address where he continued drinking. He was sick at one point and several people at the address demanded £5,000, claiming it was for cleaning up and other expenses." The sum, which rose to £6,500, was eventually paid by his office manager from her personal bank account and subsequently reimbursed from funds raised from donors   Never mind losing whip - how about criminal charges   MP Mark Menzies loses Tory whip as party investigates claims he misused funds WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The Fylde MP is alleged to have used campaign funds to pay off ‘bad people’ and cover medical expenses   ALSO According to the The Times, £14,000 given by donors for use on Tory campaign activities was transferred to Mr Menzies’ personal bank accounts and used for private medical expenses. The MP, who is one of Rishi Sunak’s trade envoys, is also said to have called his 78-year-old former campaign manager at 3.15am one day in December, claiming he was locked in a flat and needed £5,000 as a matter of “life and death”.   Hes supposed to use funding from Taxpayers and doners for a life of service, not funding a life of drink and debauchery Hope his parliamentary expenses are also investigated.   In fact, perhaps Mr Bates next role in life should be as an independent investigator of Parliamentary expenses?
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Sammi_Babe vs Barclays PLC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6065 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

Ok have been running a concurrent claim againsts Barclays with my HSBC claim seen here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/hsbc-bank/71108-sammi_babe-hsbc.html?highlight=Sammi_babe#post611856

I have basically done everything to Barclays what I have done to HSBC.

Barclays did right at the beginning make me an offer for £200 which I refused.

It has now come to the point that Fri the 13th (heh) was the deadline for the Court Bundle. My court date has been set for 27 June 2007. I have sent Court bundles to Court and to Barclays. I have not had anything like a court bundle/evidence from Barclays.

Last week I sent a nudge letter and today (Sat 14th June) have had a reply.

Here is what it says and I hope its ok to reproduce it here!!:

Without Predjuice

I refer to the above proceedings.

As you will have seen from our defence, we disagree with your legal analysis and that the charges levied to your account with Barclays amount to penalty clauses and are unfair. We do,however, recognise that it is not cost effective for either party to take this matter all the way to trial. Therefore in order to avoid the inevitable time and cost associated with pursuing the claim to trial, we are prepared to settle your claim upon payment of the charges apllied to your account, together with statutory interest and any court costs, which comes to £586, subject to the terms set out in this letter.

This offer to pay £586 is in full and final settlement of the whole of your claim and i strictly without any admission of liability on our part. By accepting this offer, you also agree that the existance and the terms of this offer remain confidential between us.

If you agree to the terms of this letter, please sign and return a signed copy of this letter to me (by fax,email or post) at the above address within the next 7 days. You will also need to notify the County court, in writing , that you have discontinued your claim against us. Please forward a copy of your letter to the Court after you return a signed copy of this letter to us. Payment will be made to your Barclays account.

Should you decide to reject the Bank's offer, we reserve the righ to disclose this letter to the Court on th subject of costs.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Your sincerely

Kate Ashton

Legal Assistant

The amount they are offering is for the full amount I am claiming.

The only thing that worries me is the fact they are going to pay it back into my Barclays account!

I DO NOT have a Barclays account anymore. I owe Barclays money and I am paying that back thru Payplan at an agreed and affordable rate along with numerous other debts.

When HSBC made a similar offer a while back I declined :

I would like to point out that any payment to the Debt Collection Agency is unacceptable on the basis that it will create an unlawful preference over my other creditors. I have already entered into an agreement through Payplan with the Debt Collection Agency, to pay back the sum at an agreed and affordable rate.

Would I be ok to send similar being so close to court date and insist on the cheque made payable to me, as I have done right since my first letter waaaaaaay back in Dec 06??

Thank you for your help!

Sammi_Babe

You can ask for it to be paid by cheque as you have no 'live' barclays account You must NOT send notification to the court till you have the cheque ......If it gets close to your court date you can notify the court that Barclays have offered settlement but you have not yet received the funds and could the case be adjourned .. The below was what J.barton1 sent to the court

URGENT

HEARING OF BANK CHARGES xx July 2007 x pm

xxxxxxxxxxx Vs Barclays Bank

Case Number xxxxxxxx

F.A.O The Court Manager

I would like to politely request permission for this case to be adjourned for a period of 7 days to give appropriate time for funds to clear in my account before I end my litigation with Barclays in this instance.

I would like to add that Barclays have had every opportunity to end this claim and have waited till the last possible minute, wasting the courts valuable time, on one of many cases that are been settled.

Many thanks.

Hope this helps :)

• Haha 1

Brill thanks for that saintly_1!

Ok here's a draft to Barclays, please can someone yay/nay/edit as I hate writing letters :D

Also, would it be preferable for me to email this now as the date is looming close?

RE: CLAIM NUMBER: XXXXXXXX

IN THE XXXXXXXX COUNTY COURT,

Your Ref: KA/LIT WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Dear Ms Ashton,

I acknowledge receipt of your letter date 11 July 2007 and your settlement offer of £586.

I accept your offer as full and final settlement, only for this claim of bank charges made on my account; however I will only accept an unconditional offer and will therefore not be signing your acceptance agreement. I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentiality clauses you try to impose upon me.

As I have no ‘live’ account with Barclays Bank, I insist you send the funds to me via a cheque made payable to Mrs. Sammi_Babe as per my several previous letters to you, have always stated.

I therefore expect a cheque by return, and if I do not receive this then I will have no choice but to continue with my claim. Once funds have been received by me in the form of a cheque made payable to Mrs. Sammi_Babe, I will ask the Court for a 7 day adjournment to allow time for the funds to clear.

Once funds have cleared, I will then inform the Court that I will be discontinuing my claim against you and will also forward a copy on to yourselves at that time.

Yours faithfully,

Thank you so much guys....

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

got fed up with Barclays, so after SUCESSFULLY winning against HSBC I tried this tactic.

I got the letter I received from Barclays, offering me the £586 I claimed ages, but with the terms etc attached and the fast they would use the funds to pay of any debt I owe to them.

With this letter, I struck out the terms I didn't like (confidentiality) and the part about they would be paying my debt of with the money, and added 'payable to [name] via cheque'. Signed and dated, scanned in and pasted into a word doc.

I faxed this to Barclays Claims and Litigation, with a covering letter saying I agreed to THIS letter and when's the cheque arriving?

Had NO reply so emailed as well same day. Got a reply from a lady saying she had to await to hear about the debt I have with Barclays (and the fact I have no live account anymore no doubt!) and then a cheque would be sent.

I then heard nothing til I emailed her again this morning asking WHERE my cheque was and 'politely' reminding her court date is TOMORROW at 10am so please confirm yay or nay whether cheque sent. She replied she PERSONALLY posted the cheque yesterday and the delay was due to hearing about my existing debt with Barclays.

So, what now? I have a court date for the 27th (tomorrow) at 10. Do I urgently fax the Court and ask for a 7 day adjournment explaining that a cheque has allegedly been sent and I need time for it to arrive and clear?

Please help!

URGENT!

thank you :)

Sammi_Babe

So, what now? I have a court date for the 27th (tomorrow)

what ever you do, which ever way you do it you MUST contact the court and tell them about their offer to settle,

it would be better if you could attend, you will get the respect from the judge for doing so,

either produce or send in a copy of their agreement letter and state you are waiting for funds to be sent.

you will prob be granted 2 - 3 weeks to allow for clearance and then if not you will have to notify the courts to order them to pay up.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

Hi,

Ok, reading on the Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home website, I can apparently email my court.

Owing to the fact the date is for tomorrow and a letter won';t get there fast enough, I have emailed my request for a 7 day adjournment to let the cheque arrive and clear.

Will let you know outcome.

Hi,

Ok, reading on the Her Majesty's Courts Service - Home website, I can apparently email my court.

Owing to the fact the date is for tomorrow and a letter won';t get there fast enough, I have emailed my request for a 7 day adjournment to let the cheque arrive and clear.

Will let you know outcome.

I would call them too, tell them you have sent them notification. if they are busy there is a chance they may not read the email until after the hearing, by that time tis too late.

if you do speak to someone there make sure you get their name.

• Haha 1

Hiya,

Ok phoned, very nice chap said probably won't get looked at for 5 DAYS!

He said can I fax it as he is sitting next to the fax right now, I said yup, but he advised turning up tomorrow as well.

EEK!

Shall I print a copy of my request email/fax to take? Do I need take anything else?

Sammi_Babe

take your bundle with updated SOC's.

make sure you have the POC's and a copy of the N1 if poss.

All correspondence with the defendant including the most recent settlement offer. [photocopy it a few times just in case, they rip you off big time for copying].

Above all dont panic, you have nothing to worry about, they have admitted defeat by offering to settle out of court.

you will prob be in and out within ten mins, you will be glad you did and be thinking this time tomorrow,, what was I worried about?

Barclays representative being there?? I doubt it very much, he'd look a bit silly explaining what he is doing there unless he has a cheque in his pocket.

Ummmmmmm can you explain what SOC's and POC is please for this dumb Essex Bird :D

Oh no, I was afraid you would ask that.....not good at this stage..

hopefully when I explain you will say oh yeh them things of course.

SOC's = Schedule of Charges = Spreadsheet showing charges n interest etc

POC's = Particulars of Claim = Details of claim used in N1 or MCOL.

ohhhhhhh one other thing, some of the letters/emails I have sent I have 'without prejudice' on.

shall I still print those and take them?

the replies I have had from Ms K ashton has just been brief emails with nothing on, not even a 'hello', and 'regards..' ?

Hm bit awkward to prove any settlement has been reached, Their offer letter had it, and as I amended their offer letter and copied it back t them I can 't use it.

the emails from her only say 'yeah cheques in post'

Is THAT enough?

or maybe, if the cheque does turn up tomorrow, take THAT along??

take it all with you, tell the judge you have it writing but they have craftily put 'without prejudice' across it. if he decides he wants to see it still then its on his neck isnt it. just the fact that you say you have it with you, even if you do not present it may be enough... and yes certainly use the emails, these are not confidential, even if they try and tell you they are, once in your inbox they are yours.

... and emails are perfectlt acceptable doceumentary evidence in a court case so take the email 'paper' trail. Most judges who get offered an angle to get rid of a case out of their court room, will take it :)

3 Active Claims:

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Sole account) - Applied to lift court ordered Stay

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) - Awaiting court date

Barclays Refund of Bank Charges (Joint account) Pre-6 yrs- LBA sent.

3 Wins :

Barclays t/a The Woolwich (Data Protection Act breach costs & compliance)

HSBC (on behalf of brother)

Settled Out of Court - £3,874.76

Alliance & Leicester (on behalf of friend)

Settled Out of Court - £723.41

Hello

:D

Can you guess what happened?

Well, me toddled of to Court, announced myself to the (very busy and harassed!) Usher and sat down. Was called in to the first one (HSBC) Judge asked if there was anything I would like to say as he had in front of him my letter from last week announcing full settlement with HSBC, I said no, got my money all fine, he said ok, no order made, Goodbye.

Ok next, BARCLAYS heh

Went back out, got called into a different Judge, extremely happy smiley man, noticed my limping and GOT UP to assist me seating. He had a copy of my fax from yesterday afternoon in front of him, (the guy I spoke to on the phone yesterday, I owe him a pint!) Judge said, so you've got the cheque? I said no, expected on my doormat this morning but as I left before post man, couldn't be sure. He said,. ok, so you want an adjournment or are you finished? I said would be prudent of me to take an adjournment to wait for cheque to arrive/clear, he said yep good idea that ok have 14 days, that be enough? I said yes thank you, he assisted me back up, wished me a nice rest of my day and then I went home :)

NOT ONCE did any Judge ask for any paperwork, I took my bundles as advised.

So got home, and there on the doormat was my cheque :)

So I think we can now call this Bank(s) -0 Sammi_Babe 2

Will be putting my cheque in on Monday and will be having a drinky next Friday to celebrate.

Thank you EVERYONE who has helped me here, I have made a donation to the site and will spread the good word about you all. Have already recommend some friends come to here and start the same!

Sammi_Babe

Congratulations..:grin:

Enjoy every penny..

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.